Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

AM I SAFE?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2003, 04:33 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AM I SAFE?

what and where is the snorkle? and how do you hydrolock it? it cant be electrical becaus ive put a lot of greas on all the wire connections..

Old 05-11-2003, 04:37 PM
Pro Rider
Default AM I SAFE?

The snorkel is where the air goes into the air tube and into the air box and carb. Hydrolocking is when you suck water into the air intake, and the engine tries to compress it. Water isn't a gas and isn't compressable. It stops the motor dead and can damage the connecting rod, bearings and piston/rings.

Old 05-11-2003, 05:09 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default AM I SAFE?

o dang well if that is the thing in the front of the atv than no i never got the waster that deep! but i did get it all over the engin! i was wanting to get a snorkel kit but i dont know where to get one and how to do it my self!

Old 05-11-2003, 05:57 PM
Pro Rider
Default AM I SAFE?

The motor on a quad that new should be water tight. The most common water problem is with the plug getting wet. You probobly don't need a snorkel, and the plastic, gas tank and other things would need to come off. All it is really is another tube that extends the on you have. You just need to make sure it seals 100%. I've done a lot of water crossings and like to keep it fender deep or just a few inches deeper. Any more than that and a good wave or splash can sometimes shut you down. It all depends on the bike tho. I sunk mine once, for about an hour and a half. It ran ok afterwards but had a bit of rod knock it didn't have before.

Old 05-15-2003, 09:17 AM
Pro Rider
Default AM I SAFE?

The Rincon can occasionally sputter/stall in water due to steam. The steam coming off the exhaust can get sucked into the intake, causing the sputter. It does NOT ingest water any worse than any other machine.

Farmr

Old 05-15-2003, 06:07 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default AM I SAFE?

alright kool! but my rincon was acting weird yesteray! we went riding and as i went up this big hill it stalled again and my dad took it to his friends place but they dont know what is wrong with it.

Old 05-16-2003, 01:56 AM
Pro Rider
Default AM I SAFE?

how old are you, BIGQUADBOYINDALLAStx. and i ask of you, MBrooks420. please rewrite your third sentence of your last post?

Old 05-16-2003, 06:15 PM
Pro Rider
Default AM I SAFE?

Why? Do you not understand it? It meant he prob. didn't require a snorkel, and to put one on the fenders, gas tank, and several other things would need removed to put one on.

Old 05-16-2003, 10:10 PM
Pro Rider
Default AM I SAFE?

thank you, much better. and yes your right he probably wont need one. just make a mark on the plastic about a good 8 inches below you air filter, and youll be ok. 8 inches below will give enough room for a splash or 2. and a snorkle is a mod. the thing you guys are talking about is just the air intake. you add a snorkle so you can go deeper. and i wouldnt worry about jumping it 5 feet. i jump my rancher about 3 and i would go off a 20 foot table top if i could. if it feels ok when you land go foir it. but make sure you can handle it and your abilitys.

Old 05-17-2003, 12:55 AM
Pro Rider
Default AM I SAFE?

There is no difference between a "snorkel" and an intake tube. On my bike I cound fully submerge the air box and as long as the top of the gas tank was out of the water I was ok. 8 inches below your filter probobly wouldn't be very deep in the water.

Quick Reply: AM I SAFE?