Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

has anyone been to Danbury wisconson ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2003, 03:49 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default has anyone been to Danbury wisconson ?

Hooter,

You have to have a registered machine to ride the trails in Wisconsin. If you are saying that Texas has no registration, or you have not registered yours, then you have to register them before you can ride here.

You have two options (3 if you register them in Texas) to register in Wisconsin.

1) Fill out and mail in an application for registration beforehand. Be sure and send a copy of your sales receipt so you don't have to pay WI state sales tax on your ATV.

2) Stop in at a WI DNR registration station and get the stickers there. Again, be sure to bring your proof of purchase in your state to avoid tax.

http://www.dnr.state.wi.us/org/caer/...ations/atv.htm

http://www.dnr.state.wi.us/org/caer/...tvstations.htm

Wisconsin accepts most registrations from other states, with exception of Iowa, Illinois, and Michigan I think. Call ahead to make sure if in doubt. Our fines are not pretty.

Old 06-25-2003, 09:42 PM
Trailblazer

Dirtywhiteboy, thanks for the links. Looks like your state is serious about registering these things. Even if they are registered in another state you have to stop and have them "validated" before riding there. I bought my stuff in Texas because the dealer there gave me a better deal. This was about a month ago. When I purchased them I asked about any other fees like a green sticker or something. I was told that Texas does not do that, they only issue a bill of sale. I was told that if I wanted a title I could pay $45 for each machine and they would title them. I chose to do this because I was told that if they were stolen it was easier to get them back if you had a title. I have rec'd 2 titles in the mail so far and expect the other any day. I have no stickers and it sounds like Texas doesn't issue them. I can pay to register them in Louisiana and pay a $65 fee to get a sticker but they will collect tax again. They do this on cars too, even if you have paid sales tax in another state, they will charge you tax based on the value of the vehicle to get license plates here. In my case were talking over $800 that I would have to pay again.
I am still unclear about something even after looking at the Wisc.DNR page. It appears they are only talking ATV's and their description of an ATV seems to rule out motorcycles. I don't know if the bikes have the same requirements. I guess I will have to find a phone number and talk to them in person. The same goes for the rider safety courses. My sons are 8 and 11 years old and the rules talk about the requirements for these age groups but seem to only refer to ATV's and Small ATV's. I havn't found anything about 2 wheelers yet.
I'm glad I'm looking into this a month ahead of time because it looks like this could be a hassle.
Additional comments are welcomed.

Old 06-25-2003, 11:14 PM
Pro Rider

Bummer about the taxes.

Many of our ATV trails are ATV only with no motorcycles allowed. So, you might want to check into that for where you may be planning on going. I know motorcycles are allowed on the Black River Falls trails and the Lafayette county trails though. I am not sure about registering bikes either. I expect they will require a sticker though.

We do have a "fee" happy state, but considering all the recreational opportunity we have I find it acceptable.

Edit: If you had a machine with an accepted registration sticker then you do not have to have it "validated". A person might still want to carry the paper proof of registration with them; just in case. The validation refers to a situaiton where you take a completed registration form to a registration station, in Wisconsin, and "register". You then can ride while carrying that validated form. They must mail you the sticker later like they do for us. I've never registered mine at a station.

I've ridden with the validated form for 3-10 months while waiting for my stickers to come. I just keep the paperwork in a ziplock bag.