Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

New riding area in Louisiana.

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2003, 09:25 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New riding area in Louisiana.

Ok for all those just getting into this. A group of us forum members are starting to search for a new riding area. Or maybe a solution at La. Dunes. Rumor has it, Barney is going to be raising prices at the dunes. New fee unknown. We are thinking about forming a Atv association. We are trying to see if we could find a piece of property approx. the same size as La. Dunes for a new riding area.

Old 06-16-2003, 09:30 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Badittude, Just throwing the idea at my brother. He said that he would be in for a new riding area. If we could find a place in similar size to the dunes. I'm in. How would we go about getting insurance for such an area if we find a place? Anyone have an idea of price this would cost? I always here Barney complaning about insurance prices. Can anyone find out any prices for insurance?

Old 06-16-2003, 09:37 PM
Pro Rider

I think this is a great idea, and would love to help yall...

Old 06-16-2003, 09:45 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Highlifter trust me, its not a ya'll thing. Its going to take all of us to get something together.

We need to figure out how many of us are willing to pay a once a year riding fee. I'm in.

Another way to raise some money for the group is to sell Hats and Tees.

Old 06-16-2003, 11:00 PM
Range Rover

Ok, I will try to address some of the issues that I actually have some knowledge of firsthand, not what I "heard"..
Insurance.
I was on my 400ex at L.A. Dunes in March, 2001. I was doing some "trials" type riding over to the far left side of the property, climbing some of those really steep, but small red clay hills. I made a 8' vertical climb, and was on top of this big termite mound looking hill. I could not see the other side, so I decided, stupidly to back down.. well, and many of you may have heard about this, I ultimately crushed my face.. 260 stitches and major reconstruction.. All from the clutch perch of a 400ex.. glad I wasnt on my 700. Anyway, the medical bills were huge.
I am not the lawsuit type.. I hate it.. I refused to sue Barney because I did this to myself, but just the deductibles were breaking me. Well, my insurance company began pressing me to try to get a claim, against the Dunes insurance. I talked to a friend of mine who is an attorney, and he belives that riding an ATV is like riding a horse under Louisiana Law.. I did not sue LaDunes. I sucked it up, and am still paying for it. But that is the price of what we love to do.. sometimes an occasional person gets hurt.

Yall check that one.. the Louisiana Equestrian law says that it is understood that it is a hazardous activity, and therefore, the rider takes the responsibility. I will verify and check.. I will also, as I am sure many of you will, start asking in general terms how much insurance would be for a private club of people with guests on say, 500-1000 acres.

Alot hunting clubs use NRA insurance. The members are required to be a member of the NRA, which provides pretty good insurance for the members if they are hurt while hunting... I wonder if the AMA offers any individual insurance.. possibly that may be an out for us.. if that is the case, we could require a current AMA card. These are just ideas.. I will search the AMA website and see.....
Yall keep the ideas flowing..
whos gonna design our t-shirts? hehehe..

Old 06-16-2003, 11:02 PM
Range Rover

Oh yea, I would be willing to up 100-300 dollars a year if the acreage and terrain were right.. I would really like something no farther from BR than Lafayette, though, Forest Hill is a pretty good haul with a 33 foot fifth wheel and 4 bikes.

Old 06-16-2003, 11:12 PM
Range Rover

sounds like it should be fun, I would love to help out if it is good place to ride.

Old 06-17-2003, 12:38 PM
Range Rover

I could design t-shirts. THats one of the things i do at work when i got free time is graphic stuff. Need to come up with ides for a name or something. I agree about the haul to forest hill from baton Rouge. I like to be able to go ride at a place and if i feel like goin home for the night i can but at forest its not that easy. I got three other friends that i ride with that would be in for this idea. We are in the process of building a track behind my cousins house on joor road just so we can have a places to screw around and ride without packin up and making a trip somewhere. We do need to try and set a date for all of us to get together and discuss some things in person and put some things down on paper

Old 06-17-2003, 12:46 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Yes A date needs to be set to get us together to discuss this. We also need to figure out a name for the organization. Anyone planning on July 4th to go riding?

Old 06-17-2003, 12:58 PM
Pro Rider

I can talk to my insurance agent about the legalities of coverage . I am also looking in to starting the states Saftey school for atv riders and maybe even an advanced riding school . Along with this i will be getting certified for dirt bikes also .

I think we need to all sit down and talk where can we meet up we seem to be scattered across the state but all have the right ideas . I can get us help from a few friends in Tx who know how to get us the money but we have to start with our lobbying for our money that we pay taxes on off road use and maintence then we can get our property and have it named and Honestly we can andwill be able to charge what we want . This is not a get rich instantly deal we need a speaker and have a tight knit group , treasurer , president , vise etc..... you get the point .

Quick Reply: New riding area in Louisiana.