Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Boyers PA GNCC

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2000, 08:29 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anybody know if the trails that are used for the GNCC in Boyers PA are open any other time than the race itself? I talked to a local that didn't ride but she couldn't answer. I did take a look at where she told me they park and it was gated off. Maybe I'll just go to the race and try to get more info there. Has anyone ever race there? How long is the loop, how dificult, etc. Not being a racer, I think it would be interesting to see how a casual rider like me would fare on a track like this. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks!!

Old 05-13-2000, 11:52 PM
Range Rover

Dan-Some friends talked me into 'racing'at Loretta Lynns when the GNCC ran there.I am not a racer at all,I rode a bone stock 300 Bayou 4x4 in the stock utility class.I had a great time. You should think about racing/riding when they have the race there.

Old 05-15-2000, 08:45 AM
Trailblazer

Don't you have to be a member of the AMA or some other sanctioning body? If so, can you just show up at on race day and join? I don't know anything about GNCC races but, how long are they, is it more than one lap? It sounds like fun but I am definately no racer.

Old 05-15-2000, 10:30 AM
Range Rover

I race all of the GNCC's and have been to Boyers several times and will be there again in three weeks for the next one. As far as getting to race, all you have to do is show up at the track and sign up that morning. You will be required to join the AMA if you are not already a member. This will be an additional $29. You do this as you sign up for the race. Other cost will be a $10 gate fee and $30 entry fee, unless you run Pro, which has a $50 entry fee. As far as the track, it will be anywhere from 8-12 miles in length and the race is a timed event that runs for two hours. Typically we will run five laps at this event in the allotted time. Being that you have never raced before, you should plan on a four lap race because you will most likely be lapped by the Pro riders. The track itself is not the most difficult on the circuit as it does not have any steep hills or extremely tight sections. It does have a lot of very rocky areas which can tear a tire to shreads and several sections which have been logged allowing for a lot of hidden tree stumps. Parking is typically a problem so get there early on Saturday to get a good spot. Better yet, if you can come on Friday and rope off an area for yourself.

Old 05-15-2000, 12:05 PM
Range Rover

I ride there about 4 times a year (1 for GNCC others just for personal enjoyment). We only live about 5 miles away and ride our quads to the track. Definitely there are rocky areas and some really BIG ROCKS that you will need to climb over or FLY your preference! Great time and alot of fun, I would say pack up the truck, get the quad on the trailer and get up here!!! Have a good one and hope to see you there.

Chuck (99 scrambler)

Old 05-15-2000, 02:51 PM
Trailblazer

What riding gear is required? I usually just wear jeans, long sleeves, Timberland boots, gloves, helmet, and goggles. Does every body race at the same time or do different classes start at different times? Do they have age classes in the novice class? Any other info would be appreciated. Thanks.

Old 05-15-2000, 08:16 PM
Range Rover

This is how it works. You can wear whatever you want but you must have a helmet, goggles and over the ankle boots. The bike must have a tether kill switch and there is a bike inspection prior to the race to ensure such a device is installed. You will also need a silencer on the bike because they check sound levels. Straight pipes will not cut it. You have to be at least 16 years of age to race. If under 18 years must have a parental consent form signed by one of your parents. There are a total of 16 different classes which are run. You choose the class you want to run based on riding ability, bike type, age or a combination of the above. They start you by lining up the different classes in rows in an open field with the Pro class going first, then 250A and so forth with the C class in the rear. Each class then uses a dead engine start one minute apart.

Old 05-17-2000, 01:22 AM
Range Rover

I know that you are suppose to have a tether kill switch.They let me ride without one.(must have felt sorry for me)But they said if I rode in another race I would have to have one.I can understand your worrys Dan,this was the first time I was in one of these.Just don't ride too fast for your abilities,pace yourself,2 hrs did'nt sound like a long time at first...and move over for the faster riders,and mostly have FUN!

Old 05-19-2000, 10:41 AM
Trailblazer

How many racers are usually entered in these races? This sounds like a lot of fun. I'm trying to talk one of my riding pals, who has about the same abilities as me, into going with me. He is not very competitive though. I ride a modified Warrior, am 43 years old, and have no racing experience at all. What class do you think I should be in?

Old 05-19-2000, 11:32 PM
Range Rover

It will vary from race to race. This year in Florida there was somewhere around 180 riders. At Loretta Lynn's there were 376. Loretta's is usually the largest but you will average around 250-275. Considering what you ride and your experience, probable the 'C' class. It will be the largest class by far but most of the people will be beginners. The worst thing about this class is being that most are beginners, it is usually one of the more dangerous groups as far as rider control and getting run over. You could also run 4 stroke mod, Junior, Vet, Senior or Open B. I would stay away from the 4 stoke mod class as they are quite fast. If you don't want to run 'C' then I would try the Senior class next. Then again, you can always get on the front row.

Quick Reply: Boyers PA GNCC