Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Hurley WI

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2003, 03:01 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hurley WI

Well we are going to be up there on 4 July weekend. How are things lookin up there? I am pumped!!

Old 06-24-2003, 07:07 PM
Pro Rider
Default Hurley WI

You might want to check ahead; I have no details...........but a friend who has ridden there several times found enough to his disliking two weeks ago; that he may not be back for a while.

That's all I know.

John

Old 06-25-2003, 01:32 AM
Trailblazer
Default Hurley WI

I'm the "friend". Until things improve in Hurley, they're not getting another dime from me. And I have spent literally thousands of dollars in Hurley. Don't get me wrong they have the most beautiful trails in Wi. by far. But, and I mean but, the forest service has got their head up there butt. We were up there last week. The only legal trails open were gravel roads. And the locals said its been this way for months. The forest supervisor said the trail closures are only temporary. Well we talked to quite a few locals and from what they said
1. The county is tired of complaints from mountain bikers that trail 6 is too rough. Since when do I get to take my ATV on their trails? If it's too rough, stick to the highway. So to cater to them they are going to smooth out trail 6. Heck while you're at it why don't you just pave the dang thing!!! We went up trail 6 its no more rough than its been the last 5 years.

2. A lot of the land is getting bought up, and there getting easements from the land owners for snowmobiles but not atvs. Trail 77 is half the trail it was last year.

At the Hotels up there, they have notices that anyone riding on the "temporary closed" trails will be fined double the usual amount.

Do I sound ticked? Well I see the most beautiful trails in the Midwest being crapped on. I have taken my family to Hurley for the past 5 years and had an absolute ball, and now until things change I'll spend my money in another Midwestern paradise that I'll just keep to myself and Blackballed.

Steve

Old 06-26-2003, 08:03 AM
Pro Rider
Default Hurley WI

Can somebody from the HO train (Mac or Jiggin', etc.) bust in here and put our fears to rest?

I'll drive 12 hours to get there...................but not to see much less than what I experienced on my previous trip. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 07-17-2003, 01:37 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Hurley WI

WTF a group of fiends and I are planing a trip up to Hurley. it would be our first time up there so all we here is how cool hurley is. Are the trails open or not because it it is going to take us seven hours to get up there. were comming from Chicago and if the trails are closed forget it were not even going to think of going well go to Badlands. could someone keep me posted on the trails thanks Jason

Old 07-17-2003, 04:09 PM
Trailblazer
Default Hurley WI

As of today trail 6 is still closed. There is a 2 mile stretch that is open, but that part might as well be your driveway. The best part is closed and the forest supervisor is in no big yank to open it up. Now I'm not saying there hasn't been people riding it but you face doubled fines if your caught. But since they have no urgency to work with us ATVERs I'm leaving Hurley. I think if you do a search on Hurley you will find that my posts have been pro Hurley, that is until now. What a beautiful place to ride and trail 6 is absolutely the most beautiful trail in the state. My family and I were going back in August for our annual Hurley ride... well forget it. I'm sorry I sound so negative but I bet most of the Hurley lovers will agree with me.

Steve

Old 07-17-2003, 08:50 PM
Pro Rider
Your friend needs to stop smoking whatever it is that is rotting his brain!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hurley WI

Banshee350racer,
Have you ever tried the Iron River trails?,they are just west of Hurley, lots of trails, fire roads, etc. and the Open 26 is a great play area, an almost 30 acre sand pile with lots of hills, mini tracks and stuff to keep you busy. My son and I have gone there the last 3 years, camping at Tri Lake Timbers, right on the trail, a very beautiful trail system, well marked, and everyone there is very ATV friendly. You can even acess the trails from the parking lots at the hotels, so no trailering once you get there. I've rode with some guys from Illinois that have come there twice when we were there, they rode Grizzlies, and loved the trails, and did a lot of exploring south of Iron River and found even more areas to ride. Sorry the Hurley area is sounding a little restricted, hope this gives you a reason to head up to Wisconsin, I'm sure you'll like it there !!!

Old 07-22-2003, 11:22 PM
Trailblazer
Default Hurley WI

Shots, Flipper, and Shots:
Unfortunatley, riding in the Hurley area is not going to be the same as it once was. The forester had told Floodrunner that he is opposed to any atv traffic. The foresters name has slipped my mind (old age) I think his name is Zinmaster. His mission is to close down as many atv trails as he can. Dont look for trail six, eight, and others to be opened any time soon.
We were up there riding over memorial day. We did trail six, eight, and others and found them to be the normal challanging ride. Our fellow rider and his wife had talked to John the game warden and they were told that we would all get tickets if caught riding on trail six. My friend pointed out that the trails were not marked closed so we rode them anyway. I have been informed that they are marked and tickets will be given. As far as "double" the fines, very doubtful. Please dont blame The Game Warden. He is only doing his job. The guy we all must start to enlighten is this Zinmaster from the Forest Service. Simply put, he is not our friend and hates atvs. A true tree hugger with to much power for his and our own good. The local people hate this guy and he is really having an economic impact on the Hurley area. We are scheduled for a ride in the area August 15,16,17. We have our "own" set of trails and know some back ways into the scenic areas. These trails are slowly being blocked off.
Our group has had the same discussion of not coming back. We enjoy the area and certainly enjoy all the friends we meet on the trail and at Sidekicks and *****'s Island lake resort. My neighbor and his brothers ride up that way occasionally also and they were very dissapointed this year.
The local ATV club has done NOTHING to combat this Zinmaster. Evidently they dont want the out of town people coming to their trails anymore. There are alternate plans in the works however but not in Hurley. There are currently six atv clubs in Vilas, Oneida, and Southern Iron county who have formed a consortium to start working with tonwships, counties, forest service .... to develop new trail systems in these counties. One plan (which looks real good) will be a trail system Starting in Eagle River Wi. and going all the way north to Watersmeet MI. and from there the trail posibilities are endless. You can even stop and donate to the Indians on your way through. They WILL appreciate your business!
I have talked to a couple of the township Supervisors (who happen to be my customers) and they too are pushing for an atv trail system. There are people out there who want you to come to their area and spend money. Unfortunately for the Hurley area, they have had it to long and have let an egotistical tyrant with WAY to much power take the reins away! I will file a report on a new link when I get back and will give you the opinions of our group. Matter of fact, Floodrunner had printed up 500 flyers that we handed out at the Hurley rally to draw attention to the rising problem of trail closures. I will ask him to send a copy and possibly post it. It was very informative!!
Good riding to all of you!
Jigginjack
2002 Polaris 500 HO-X
A2500 warn winch
broken winch quick connect plugs.
dead battery
broken front drive shaft
dented beyond repair itp C series rim
Aluminum cargo box
hand warmers
three itp rims
coffee maker
Charter member of the Iron Range Riders and The HO train
Neighbor of Team Dog (www.teamdog.com)

Old 07-23-2003, 03:25 AM
Trailblazer
Default Hurley WI

Thanks jigginjack, I can't express my dissapointment enough. I have personaaly talked to this supervisor. According to him, if and when trail 6 opens again it won't be anything like it was.
1. Much smoother grade
2. diverting water so there won't be any mud holes

Steve

Old 07-24-2003, 03:28 PM
Pro Rider
Default Hurley WI

jiggin',

When the time comes for us to financially support groups in this area who are working/fighting for what you described.........please let me know where to send the check........very much appreciated the update.

John

Quick Reply: Hurley WI