Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Hatfield-Mcoy

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2003, 08:17 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hatfield-Mcoy

Just got back from Dirt Days at the Hatfield-Mcoy trail system in West Va. and let me tell everyone that reads this. They have the best trails of anywhere I have ever been. I have ridden alot of trails, including the Rubicon Trail in Lake Tahoe, but this trail in West Va is the best setup yet. We parked at the lodge and never moved the truck and trailor again. We rode our atv's to the trails behind the Hatfield-Mcoy pilot truck on the road to and from the trails. They have all trails marked and layed out for any ability of any rider. There was alot happening this past weekend like atv drags and hillclimbing and they had a mudpit for those with mud machines. I plan on making a trip there every year from now on.

Old 06-30-2003, 11:15 AM
Range Rover
Default Hatfield-Mcoy

Which campground did you choose and what trailhead did you explore?

I see four trailheads that look incredible - this Florida rider has ZERO mountian riding
experience -

We are planning Thanksgiving at Hatfield-McCoy but have NO IDEA which to choose.

Any information and pictures would be helpful - were pets allowed at the campground?

Thanks

Gary Mudder

Old 06-30-2003, 03:26 PM
Range Rover
Default Hatfield-Mcoy

Ilovemymudder - we go down to H/M quite a bit. ALL the systems are nice. The easiest is the Waterways. We rode the w/e after Thanksgiving last year and the weather was perfect. I't be hard to decide which one was our favorite of the other 3. Bear Wallow and Rockhouse have more trails than Buffalo Mtn., but they're supposed to have a connector in to make Rockhouse and Buffalo Mtn. tie in to each other (maybe be done this fall). You can ride your quads in the towns of Man, Matewan, Gilbert and Delbarton. I would imagine that the camprounds would let you have your dog - most do as long as it is under control. thy have websites listed on the H/M website (www.trailsheaven.com) You won't believe how awesome it is till you ride it. (Mrs. Q) We have pics posted on another board - atv time - I can't post the site, it'll get deleted - under same name (Quadcrew)

Old 06-30-2003, 03:40 PM
Pro Rider
Default Hatfield-Mcoy

Yes there where pets in the Campground............................I stayed in the Logan Motor Lodge...about a half mile from the main headquaters for this event. I rode the entire Bear Wallow Trail, it was fantastic! From where I stayed I could ride the Quad to the headquarters then every hour on the hour there will be a Pilot Truck leading a gigantic group of Quads to the trailhead just down the road a few miles,then they lead a group back to the headquarters where all the events are happening. Its well worth the trip!

Old 06-30-2003, 06:22 PM
Pro Rider
Default Hatfield-Mcoy

Originally posted by: Dirtpig...."every hour on the hour there will be a Pilot Truck leading a gigantic group of Quads to the trailhead...."
I have to laugh at that as we went down a couple weks after Sept. 11th for the inaugural fest with about 800 others. I'm not sure where you guys are now; but we had the event centered south of Logan at the original H/M system headquarters next to the river. All roads were open all day into Man/Bear Wallow....................what a circus and definitely a recipe for disaster (must've upset the heck out of the coal truck drivers and they definitely don't 'play'....).

We commented even then on how in the heck that freedom would ever continue without somebody getting flattened or run off the mountain.....................

Old 06-30-2003, 08:45 PM
Range Rover
Default Hatfield-Mcoy

BB- Hi! I think you are all braver than I - I wouldn't drive a quad down Rt. 10. I close my eyes alot when we trailer down it!!! I guess maybe it would be different if there was a caravan of quads, but it still would give me the willeys. (Mrs. Q)

Old 06-30-2003, 08:57 PM
Pro Rider
Default Hatfield-Mcoy

Hay BB, How would you like it if it was like that at Silver Lake? Not so funny! But it is ok to disrupt somebody elses lively hood! Very nice, Now I see how objective you realy are.

Old 06-30-2003, 09:03 PM
Pro Rider
Default Hatfield-Mcoy

For other people that don't know what I am talking about, BB got his undees in a bunch because people had loud pipes. But it is ok for him to hurt someones lively hood. You make me sick[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

Old 07-01-2003, 08:01 AM
Pro Rider
Default Hatfield-Mcoy

Originally posted by: Quadcrew......"I wouldn't drive a quad down Rt. 10. I close my eyes alot when we trailer down it!!!............" (Mrs. Q)
Mrs. Q,

(lol)....The drive itself is 'interesting enough' with a trailer...........................it's when the oncoming traffic threatens to either drive you into the rock wall or over the guardrail(ess) sudden 'drop'; that seems to give the experience that extra (cough) 'thrill'........

Take care of 'the crew' and hope you make it up Michigan way some time soon.

Old 07-01-2003, 08:05 AM
Pro Rider
Default Hatfield-Mcoy

Originally posted by: racerx5x5
Hay BB, How would you like it if it was like that at Silver Lake? Not so funny! But it is ok to disrupt somebody elses lively hood! Very nice, Now I see how objective you realy are.
Are you drunk, stoned or both?

"How would you like it?....."

HOW WOULD YOU LIKE ***WHAT***(?) !!!!!!!!!!!!!