Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Trailriding/camping/fishing KENTUCKY?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2003, 09:54 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trailriding/camping/fishing KENTUCKY?

I'm looking to plan a long weekend quad trip. I live in Michigan about a hour North of Detroit and looking to plan a fourwheeling trip where I can ride quads do some camping and fishing. I buddy of mine was thinking about something in Kentucky. Does anyone know of any go trail riding where I could incorporate some camping and fishing in Kentucky? Any help would be great.

I have
2003 Polaris 700 Sportsmen
1999 Yamaha Warroir

My buddy would be riding his 300EX

Old 07-05-2003, 12:49 AM
Range Rover

You want to go to Turkey Bay in The Land Between The Lakes. There's Camping right at the trail head and it's on a lake. Do a internet search on Land Between The Lakes.

Wayne B

Old 07-05-2003, 01:12 AM
Pro Rider

Or Livingston, its 1.5 hrs south of Lexington and 2 minutes from I-75. Lots of riding, camping, and rivers. Theres no supervision, rules, or showers. Its pretty much just a place to have fun.

Old 07-05-2003, 03:35 PM
Weekend Warrior

Actually Livingston is part of the Shelltowee Trace national forrest, technically you can be sited for not wearing a helmet in there, they have also started marking trails lately and several sections have been closed where new developments for homes and neighborhoods are going in. I beleive further enforcement is coming to the area, especially given the fact that skycare air lifts someone who is seriously injured out of there several times a month. Riding is only as safe or dangerous as you make it, and I love Livingston but wouldn't reccomend it for anything more than a day trip, especially if you're taking family. I ride there often but I wouldn't take kids there and have heard camping there kind of sucks for lack of facilities and because ppl are riding all night. Livingston is basically a full time party, with no restrooms unless you ride back out to the gas station, no designated camping areas and a lot of rutted up hills and trails, it's all old logging roads. The trails are a good challenge and you can ride all day without ever hitting the same thing twice. However, you can get lost pretty easily or get yourself into something you may not be able to get back out of with ease, in a heartbeat.

The Quads you've listed should all handle the area with ease, but there won't be much luck fishing in the Rockcastle river, and once again there is no designated areas to camp.

In the eastern part of KY I would reccomend S-tree recreation area or another more thoroughly regluated state trail system. These systems are better upkept, maps are available and there are designated camping areas and bathrooms. S-tree's traisl are faster and generally in better shape, without the rutts and other problems you may encounter down at Livingston. You can ride S-tree out to another system, I think it's called Turkey-Foot and this will take you many, many miles north of the trail's head. This link will give you all kinds of information about riding in state forrests in KY and how to get there: http://www.r8web.com/boone/TRAILOHV.HTM . You can also view specifications on those trails. S-tree is about 20 minutes from I-75. You take the Berea exit #74 I beleive (its' the first exit for Berea) turn left and head into town, turn left at the Boone Tavern, and follow until you hit a T-intersection, follow this route to S-tree road (on the right) and that will take you into the trail area where you can park and camp.

Old 03-31-2004, 02:40 PM
Weekend Warrior

Dcryder is livingston still open

Old 03-31-2004, 09:46 PM
Trailblazer

If you want to drive all the way to Ky, come on down to Tennessee. search windrock atv club. The biggest place is Coal Creek, 73,000 acres and about 150 miles of trails, all clearly marked. I have never been to Turkey Bay, but the guys i have started riding with say you can ride the whole place in a day. You are lucky if you get in 4 good trails at Coal Creek. Also, check out Royal Blue. I think there is a link off of Windrocks website.

Old 04-02-2004, 01:14 AM
Pro Rider

Crazed
....livingston has been closed since last summer/fall

If your going that far. go to Windrock