Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Silver Lake question

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2003, 04:34 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Silver Lake question

This is not the usual question that would come up on the fourms, the wife and son said they would go to Silver Lake with me for a few days if I can find something for them to do since they don't ride quads. So my question is what is in that area for them to do while I am riding?
If I can find something for them to do, I can go, if not I will have to go on a trip somewhere with them without my quad.
Thanks for any tips!

Old 07-11-2003, 08:27 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Silver Lake itself has plenty of things to keep a kid busy; though you'd probably have to ask somebody else on here what the 'latest' attractions are. I've been going there for 40 years and always had a good time.....dunes or not.

They can take a commercial dune ride; walk across the dunes to Silver lake and lie on the 'dune' shore; go see the lighthouse and the Lake Michigan beach; head north to Pentwater (small town) or Ludington (larger town-not very much further up 31) and hit either state park or the many shops downtown; or 'my' favorite?....................I just like driving around that area with it's many old fruit farms and beautiful rolling scenery.

There is also a place called the Double J resort in Rothbury; which I am sure could keep them busy with horseback riding and other activities that they promote.

You could even get them a powered parachute ride from Captain ("low and slow") Hank in Shelby; where we used to train and fly out of.

Great specialty cheese at the New Era exit from a small (non-RSBT) dairy with a little shed up front. Get off the exit and go east to the stoplight; turn left; go north about a half-mile and it is across the trailway down the first road (?) to the right ( there's a portable sign out on old 31).

I forgot about the Hart- Montague trail. Most of this trail looks kind of flat and uninteresting; but I have been told that the ride down from Hart to Shelby is one of the best in the state. At one time, you could rent bicycles in 'Mears'; yet your best bet would be to contact the Oceana County Visitor's Bureau. Again, the same beautiful farm scenery that I have fell in love with since I was a kid.

Also, check out Val-Du-Lakes (if they are still in business) for any events that may coincide with your visit.
I will never forget seeing Stevie Ray Vaughn there when when the Stray Cats bowed out at the last minute.....what a concert!

Again, I'm a little 'partial' to SL; as I worked there for $.50/hour for many years; guiding trail groups on horseback and working on the farm like a hebrew slave. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

If you can't 'relax' in Oceana County...........you've got some serious problems!

Old 07-11-2003, 07:10 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Blackballed, I know the wife loves to shop, and the boy-10 likes to do anything as long as he is entertained..Do they have go karts, batting cages, mini golf , arcade type place close ?

Old 07-12-2003, 02:39 PM
Pro Rider

I'm sure you can find most all of those things within a two-three block area. A 'regular' could probably update you better on what's new down there for kids; as I don't pay much attention when I drive through.

I think your wife would like Pentwater; go straight out of Silver lake and follow the road north (about 10 curvy miles) until you come to a 'T' after crossing the lake on a bridge. Go left into town and the state park is another left just past an ice cream place on the north edge of this 'one-street' city.

Hope you all enjoy yourselves and welcome to Michigan (we wouldn't live anywhere else!).

John

Old 07-13-2003, 10:15 PM
Pro Rider

They have a craigs cruisers, it has go karts, slick track go karts, video games, and mini golf.
It is right next to a little outlet mall, very little.

They also have boat and wave runner rentals nearby.

Could keep them buisy for a couple of hours.

Old 07-14-2003, 12:08 AM
Weekend Warrior

why dont you air down the tires in the truck if you have one and let them cruise the dunes and have fun to. i did that when my brothers bike blew up so i let him ride the quad and i took my truck out dune hopping it great had to pay to get it in there any way so spend a bit more, get your self a flag for it and off they go.

Old 01-30-2004, 07:09 PM
Pro Rider

does anybody know if the T-5 toomeys will be able to get into silver lake if i were to put a screen in the pipe

Old 01-31-2004, 11:43 AM
Pro Rider

Could someone list all the things that you need to be able to get into Silver Lake for me.

Old 01-31-2004, 05:01 PM
Range Rover

First thing you need is an orange flag..Not just any flag but one from the store next to the dunes...They wouldnt let me into the dunes until i had one from the store next door.. I had a triangle one..You need a sqaure one.
Second you will need a Michiagn trail sticker..And MIchigan state park sticker for your quad and vehicle.

Third you need a spark arrestor..They check every quad..

My friend got in no problem with his raptor with full FMF Titanuim race pipe..I'm not sure how loud your pipes are..but as long as you idle up to the gate..then idle away you should be good.

Old 01-31-2004, 05:32 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks alot DSDREW i wasnt sure what i needed

Quick Reply: Silver Lake question