Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Clark County and Black River Falls WI

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2003, 11:30 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Black River Falls WI

Hey Folks,
I am heading up to Clark County/Black River Falls next week and was wondering if you could fill me in. I have never been there and would love to know what to expect. Any information would be great...

Old 08-17-2003, 11:48 PM
Pro Rider
Sound advice there. "Hey, watch this........"
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You'll find a very user friendly trail system. Kinda nice to ride for a while then just pull into a pub for fuel and lunch. Many campgorunds, restaurants and motels have trails that lead directly into the main trail system.

OTOH, I found the trails to be somewhat boring and unchallenging. Lots of sand, lots of endless woops, a few water crossings and no real hills. If you're looking for an easy ride - or a family friendly ride - in an area that caters to ATV's, then BRF is great. If you're into a challenging ride then you may want to look somewhere else. Make sure you get the local maps on where you can and cannot ride - there are a few areas that look like ATV riding places that are NOT legal ride areas.

Jaybee

Old 08-18-2003, 01:00 AM
Pro Rider

Keep going north - a way cool place to ride is in the Iron River area of WI or cross over into Minnesota and head for the Gilbert Off Highway Vehicle Park. Its worth the drive. BRF is boring. Its more like riding dirt roads then trails. It would be a good family place if you could get the few bone-heads to keep their speed reasonable. I wasn't comfortable with risks being created by some of the un-supervised juvenile deliquents doing 70+ with my family in harms way.

Old 08-19-2003, 09:49 AM
Pro Rider

Hey rhinhd- Let us know what you think when you get back! Drive time to BRF, area, etc.

Old 08-19-2003, 11:21 AM
Range Rover

Will do! Did you buy those Rincons yet??? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

Old 08-19-2003, 11:39 AM
Pro Rider

Nope. I have almost talked myself back into the Scarmbler and into the Pred. about 4 times each. No, a Rincon is not an option, but thanks!

Arrrrggghhhhhhh!

Old 08-25-2003, 10:30 AM
Range Rover

Hey USMC,
Well you asked for it and I am bored, we went up there and had a BLAST! It took about 3-1/2 hours to get up there Saturday morning but mind you we where hauling A$$. That means 85 - 90 mph with trailers (thank god for a spotter 2 miles ahead with a CB)! We (the 9 of us) got to the "The Bunkhouse Retreat" at about 9am and set up camp. Nice place, Steve the owner was AWESOME, that guy likes to have a good time and makes sure his guests do too. I only stayed for the day, but the group I went with did spend the night.

Ok the trails where AWESOME. Some parts of it where very rough, (miles of Whoops that provided even more challenges) but most of it was incredible. Tight winding trails that connected the major ones. There where even what they call "intense use areas" which consisted of sand pits with short MX type tracks set up along the trails. Saturday we put 90 miles on our quads in just a little over 8 hours. I am listing a run down of the trip below...

The drive
3-4 hours depending how crazy you drive.
Worth a day trip even better if you camp.
Easy to get to, take I90 north 90/94 then to rt12, 15 miles from there.
About 240 miles total from my house. I90 and Randal road...

"The Bunkhouse Retreat"
Nice place to camp.
It had 40 acres of land to tear up.
Mud pits! We lost a Trail Boss in the mud but the Rincon got him out! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] It took a lot to get him out...
Pond you can play in with your quad...
Rentals, expensive but I own em so I don't care...
Showers
Cabins, didn't go inside them but they looked OK...
Place to rinse off the quads.
Connected to the trail system.
Free Maps
Ice
Gas
They even have a barbershop!
Steve the owner was Very Cool!

The Trails
Lots of em!
Rough miles of Whoops in the North section. Can't handle em, stay home!
Sandy and very dry! Made the trails extremely dusty. I can still taste the trail! Mother Nature can only fix that...
Some very tight winding trails. At 20-30MPH they kept us on our toes!
"Extreme use areas" Pretty cool places to roost your friends and take some jumps.
Speed limits, some places with 10mph markers but those are the only ones I saw. Very Few...
DNR- got a warning not to go off the trail by 8 feet or we would be fined $211. This happened as we sat drooling over a mud pit on the side of the trail, other then that not a problem.
Food and gas along the trails- food at "The Damn Inn" was pretty good and not too expensive. Two cheeseburgers, 2 huge fries, 3 cokes and a draft beer set me back $14.50 (no, not all for me)... Gas (87 octane) there was $1.99 a gallon! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]
Got lost once because of hard to see trail markers. GPS got us back on track...
Not too busy for a Saturday, no one got in our way.

What we brought
1 Rincon
1 Rancher AT
4 Trail Bosses
3 Suzuki Ozarks (rentals)

And the damage we inflicted... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
One nasty Flat on a Trail Boss caused by a rock ripping a 1-inch hole in its sidewall. A new tire too, OUCH!
Burnt up an Ozark.
One Trail Boss Stuck in the mud. Crazy (that’s a good thing) owner tried a very heavy mud pit.. I like that in him!
Another Trail Boss had a chain get loose but he made it the whole day. I think it might of cost him a front sprocket..
Bit my cheek on those whoops and it bleed for a good 15 min.
One Hornet sting.

I haven’t been to many places but this one by far is my favorite. I am even thinking of going up next weekend with the wife!

Old 08-25-2003, 07:58 PM
Range Rover

Looks like most of your riding was on the Clark County Trails. The Black River Falls trails are in Jackson County. The last that I knew, you could not ride from the Clark County System to the BRF Sections. Trail section has been closed down thru Hatfield for years.

Sounds like you had a really fun trip. Missed my trip up there this year, first time in ten years.

Hope to be back up next year.

Old 08-25-2003, 10:35 PM
Range Rover

ever been to price county in wis,going there in sept12&13,gilbert was nice some good hills,but not to much mud .

Old 08-25-2003, 11:29 PM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: Uncle
Looks like most of your riding was on the Clark County Trails. The Black River Falls trails are in Jackson County. The last that I knew, you could not ride from the Clark County System to the BRF Sections. Trail section has been closed down thru Hatfield for years.

Sounds like you had a really fun trip. Missed my trip up there this year, first time in ten years.

Hope to be back up next year.
Actualy we did infact start the trip in Jackson county. Thats where the Bunkhouse is located. At least that's what the website said? Who knows? But we did make it all the way up to Rock Damn. How we got there I would have to look at my map. My buddy Mike was the guide so I will talk to him and see if indeed we did get on to the Clark County trail system. Either way it was a blast...

As for if I have been to Price County, no I have not. Fill me in should I be planning a trip up there?

Quick Reply: Clark County and Black River Falls WI