Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

where to find mud in minnesota

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2003, 10:32 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default where to find mud in minnesota

was wondering if anyone knows of a good mudding spot in minn.the more the better

Old 09-21-2003, 10:03 PM
Pro Rider

Northern MN Iron range area.. find a small logging road and get yourself back to one of the moss swamps

don't go alone and make sure you have a winch.. or good legs for walking

Old 09-22-2003, 02:24 PM
Pro Rider

if these swamps are within the legal riding area, they "might" be ok to ride in. I would check with the local authorities and get their take on the situation.

Anywhere else, even on your own property, we are not permitted to ride in swamps, bogs, creeks, rivers or lakes in MN.

Old 09-22-2003, 03:56 PM
Pro Rider

The Gilbert ORV site has some good legal mudding spots. I've seen some spots in Spider Lake Recreation area (Foothills State Forest) posted as "legal" to ride the mud in.

Do us and the sport a favor, though, and ride only in places posted as ok.

Old 09-22-2003, 04:06 PM
Pro Rider

thanks fo rclarifying the Gilbert area Pechmial. I haven't been there and am unsure as to what it has for terrain.

But you're right, do the entire sport a favor and only ride where posted open. We have been beat up here in MN for the actions of a few. We almost lost Red Top a couple summers ago. Thanks to some quick thinking by the local clubs in the area, we still have this trail to ride.

Old 09-22-2003, 08:01 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: LEP7MM
if these swamps are within the legal riding area, they "might" be ok to ride in. I would check with the local authorities and get their take on the situation.

Anywhere else, even on your own property, we are not permitted to ride in swamps, bogs, creeks, rivers or lakes in MN.

All the northern MN deer and bird hunters are in violation of this law if correctly stated.. I've participated in driving in these areas (while not in a bog swamp) both on my 4 wheeler and also in my 4X4 truck without consequence and have talked to DNR while doing it.

There are numorous logging roads in northern MN they are not posted for regulation at all.

Is there a "legal" area for running your 4 wheeler while on state tax forfeited land?

Old 09-23-2003, 05:59 AM
Pro Rider

that's a good question about the tax forfeited land that I don't have an answer for right now. Best bet would be to check with the local conservation officer and see how they would regulate something in the area in question.

As far as most everyone in Northern MN being in violation of the law in bogs, swamps, and so on, it's tough to enforce anything in this part of the state with so few law enforcement officers to cover that large of an area.

Old 10-03-2003, 10:36 PM
Range Rover

sure it would fun to ride in the swamps and mud bogs,and creeks and rivers,but then they would get over used and the tree nuts would have a day with our necks,find if people could stay on trails,but just think of seeing different trails thru the bogs,what a mess!

Riding with the King