Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Some advice on injury

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2003, 09:55 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Some advice on injury

Just checked out your name...are you an EMT?
Did you have any Medic buddies with you

Old 10-09-2003, 10:24 PM
Weekend Warrior

Im a firefighter paramedic and I had my cousin with me he had to load up our gear break down our tents and camp. By himself this happend about 2 hours after we got there we had a weekend planned ahead of us. All the food and everything.Thanks

Old 10-10-2003, 12:11 AM
Trailblazer

Hey Medic, sorry to hear about the bad break. I'm a smokeeater in Fontana, and race with a bunch of FF's and officers. Every time someone yardsales at the races, they swear off riding, sell their toys, and try fishing or knitting. (Guess thats the only hobby my copper buddies feel comfortable doing j/k) Within a month of healing, they are itchin to ride/race again. I think this breaking bones thing is just a ploy to get a new bike every year. I've been lucky so far, only a class 3 concussion at a grand prix a few years ago. Take the time to rehab properly, slowly start riding again, and by no means DO NOT SELL THE TOYS!! (unless it's cheap for a fellow brother LOL) Good Luck and keep us posted. Haz

Old 10-10-2003, 06:08 PM
Pro Rider

just had surgery in june and riding slowly again. broke my scaphoid and and a 2 in screw put in there to make me stronger. I rode for three months with it broken. it will heal.

Old 10-10-2003, 06:29 PM
Weekend Warrior

wow you rode with it broken. unfortunately i cant ride yet while my leg is in a cast. it is my left ankle at least i will be able to kick start it with no worries.

Old 10-21-2003, 02:48 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for all your responses.

Old 10-21-2003, 04:17 AM
Pro Rider

You'll ride again. You'll just be more carefull. I separated my collar bone in a nasty mountain bike crash while training for a race. I reeled in my wild-man antics on the bike, and ended up being far faster after my recovery. Just be smart, and let it recover fully. I didn't follow my doctors advice, and I'm forever paying for my macho idiocy.

Old 10-26-2003, 10:38 AM
Pro Rider

13 days after getting my first ATV at the ripe old age of 43 I caught a stump with the edge of my front tire. Quad pitched me off broken left fibula - plates and screws installed next day. . Back riding 4 days later. thank GOD for polaris automatics. Hobble to garage and ride from there.

Old 10-26-2003, 02:12 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks to all who have responded to my post. You all have given me the perspective on injury. Yes I will and cant wait to ride again. I feel that at my age I need to slow down a bit though. A friend of mine told me to ride for the scenary and not so much for the speed I always grew up going fast and ridind competitively. thanks everyone.

Old 10-26-2003, 07:40 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I was 15 I broke my left arm. 3 weeks later I won my first race with my arm in a cast. A couple months later I was ran into by a guy in an Odyssey and broke my arm again.....Badly.

I got a steel plate and some cool stainless allan screws which I still have..I'm 34 now.

I sold my 3-wheeler and got into 4x4 trucks, Jeeps and street racing.

When I was 28 I bought another 3-wheeler. I rode it for 4 years and never crashed. I guess I'm not as brave/crazy now.

I bought me a quad which is much more stable.

I still go fast on flat roads, do wheelies and small jumps but I stay within my limits.

I have nothing to prove to anyone these days. I got out exploring or trail riding at a comfortable pace. Funny thing is that my bikes don't break as much now. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Some advice on injury