Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Some advice on injury

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2003, 03:27 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Some advice on injury

Hey guys just would like some feed back on anybody that has had the unfortunate luck of having an injury. I myself went riding to Hungry Valley on September 5th and took a pretty bad fall. This resulted in a broken ankle I broke my fibula bone in 2 places and had surgery on the 12th of Sep had a steel plate and 4 screws put in. As I sit here typing this Im in a cast up to my knee. Im not sure if I want to ride again put part of me cant wait to ride again. Anybody else have any advice thanks.

Old 10-09-2003, 08:40 AM
Pro Rider

Rider education, and lots of safety gear. IE-- a good helmet, riding boots, chest protector. THAT is my suggestion. Good luck, be safe.
You weren't riding alone, were you? IMO-- That is the worst thing to do.

Old 10-09-2003, 11:54 AM
Range Rover

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]Firemedic85, Sorry TO hear about your accident & injuries, [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]One of my best friends who lived in Irvine, CA. had a very bad accident on a motorcycle, which left him in a hospital for months with serious injuries.His thoughts were as yours are now, do i ever want to ride motorcycles again. After what his family went through, if he did they would kill him. He has the pins & plates as you do & almost lost his life from bloodclots. He was on his back for over six months, & a pain in the a-- to deal with i know.His choice was to stay off the big bikes & stick with his Griz. But i'm sure he's a lot older than you . He's in his sixties. He has since moved to the high desert country in Arizona & we have a ball out there on the quads on BLM land, Bocoos of trails & as difficult as you want. His pain has subsided & the scars have healed
as yours will. He's a wiser man & now knows his liminations. Last time out there i got his little 250 Yahama running & he putts around on it some, just to satisfy his 2-wheeler need.I'm just betting you'll be back on your ride. Something like being thrown off a horse. Best of luck in your recoveries.& if you care to , let us all know the particulars of your accident. It may keep someone out of the hospital. Regards, Jerico1

Old 10-09-2003, 03:33 PM
Weekend Warrior

I took a nasty spill on my Bayou 220 in July at Cromer Ridge (Livingston, 909 KY). Messed my knee up something fierce, and tore up the front end of the quad, it dosen't steer right. Needless to say I'm too big for it anyway (6' tall 210lbs). I've been back to being able to workout and ride my bicycle for exercise everyday again for about a month. My knee still aches and pops from time to time but didn't have to have surgery. I was laid up for about 3 weeks, couldn't drive or leave the house. I was in a brace for 2 months. I plan to buy a bigger quad, probably a Prarie over the winter or in the early spring and get back to it. Cromer Ridge is closed, so I won't be back there.

Injury is part of this hobby, there's always a risk regardless of how good you are, and how good your gear is, like the old saying goes when you get thrown off the horse, you gotta get back on (or something like that).

I was wearing my helmet, a chest protector, and riding boots. I'll be buying a set of knee pads that double as stabalizing braces (will keep me from twisting or hyper-extending my knee again). My crash was unavoidable, we were cruising at about 15 MPH up an old logging road, I hit a hole, a big rock, or tree stump, something that I didn't see because it blended in, and caught my left front tire. I remeber trying to hold on as I the inertia tried to peel me off the quad. I think that's when my back tire hit or my right boot got caught under a tire, it happened so fast I have a hard time breaking it down in my mind. Regardless my boots not allowing my ankles to break out and thus be injured meant something had to give, my knee was the next weakest link as I went tumbling it twisted, that's why I think my leg got run over, I twisted my knee didn't viola! twisted knee.

Old 10-09-2003, 03:41 PM
Pro Rider

Ever fall off your bicycle? Did you give up then? Probably not. Accidents happen. Bodies heal. Life goes on. Unless your accident was life threatening, don't sweat it. Just learn from your mistakes (if it was one that caused it), be more cautious, or ride with different partners.

My worst accident involved a 60mph collision with another bike. I suffered a broken pinky finger, swollen shoulder bumps and bruises, he suffered massive road rash on his back. Our machines suffered a bit more. Mine took 9 tons on the press to straighten the axle, his, new handle bars, throttle cable, brake and clutch perches.. you get the point. Needless to say, as soon as the machines were repaired, we rode the next weekend. If you learned from it, it's likely it won't happen again.

Ride on.

Old 10-09-2003, 04:34 PM
Range Rover

You always feel like that right after an accident, once you heal up you'll feel differently, trust me. Do the Physical Therapy!!!!! Thats my words of advice.

Old 10-09-2003, 05:04 PM
Pro Rider

Sorry to hear about your injury.

I'm injured too, crashed hard at Sand Mountain Nevada, a month ago today. I thought I broke my leg but it turned out to be some ligament and hamstring injuries...... I've been injured a couple of other times on bikes....over my 40 years of riding experience...well almost 40 yrs...Never did not riding again enter the picture, never crossed my mind.....This last time, I had to hang around camping for another week, limping around on crutches. I found I could use my quads for wheelchairs, and ride from camp to camp.

I would never consider, "not riding" unless I was a cripple for life......I knew a guy who lost an arm, and two years later was riding a Yamaha RD350, wow.

When ridiers fall and break stuff, it's usually a case of the body will heal, but the bike...has got to be fixed.... Every time I've seen people biff, in person or on TV it's almost always the case where the rider jumps up to check the machine first.....unless they're really messed up....

Once your body mends, you will most likely ride again. If you've got buddies that ride, I'd say that's it's for sure you will.

Dude, get back on that horse! and maybe where the right protective wear.

Old 10-09-2003, 05:15 PM
Pro Rider

Sorry to hear that man...I promise nothing heals the will to ride like sitting on a couch

Old 10-09-2003, 06:10 PM
Pro Rider

Yea Gorman is ruff,where you climbing one of those scary hills or hit someone coming around a blind corner.. I removed my cast to ride cause i couldent wait to ride anymore...

best advice let it heal,because if it has you scared now take it slow and get the feel of it again..

Old 10-09-2003, 07:44 PM
Weekend Warrior

Wow thanks guys for all your support. You guys had some valid points initially when I crashed my first thought was two sell the bike. But today I feel different as a matter of fact I went to Berts to buy new grips,and a product called plastic renew to fix my plastic. Anyone ever use the stuff.Its true the first thing I did was get up really fast to check the bike and put it back upright with my broken ankle must have been the adrenaline because the pain was so severe. I just lost control the front end caught a rut in a turn and I flew off and the bike rolled onto my leg VERY hard it actually left the ground and the momentum pinned my ankle. Was wearing brand new alpine tech 6 boots only my second ride on them. Thanks to all who responded and you too be safe this just happened without warning. I was starting to feel real comfortable prior and had a few close calls. Not trying to scare anybody just dont want anyone to go through this thanks.

Quick Reply: Some advice on injury