Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

New Florida Riding Areas

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2003, 04:56 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Florida Riding Areas

this kills me...
they take...what...35.00 for every new quad now and look how we are rewarded...
meetings,reports,feasibility studies,advisory commitees and what do we end up with...a guidebook to trails that dont exist
i think we are getting screwed...again...
maybe we can use the guidebook for toilet paper[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
big government at work...
the developers arent gonna be happy until the whole state is paved...

Old 10-13-2003, 05:07 PM
Trailblazer

ATV riders in other states have got togther and beat the system including Georgia, California and Wisconsin. I don't think we have tried to beat the system in Florida as a group of ATVer's. That is our fault and I have no doubt that we can get what we want if we get together and present a plan to our state officials. It would be a lot of work and take a few years but if we want our children and grand children to be able to ride in Florida, I see no other options. Unless we our happy riding at Croom the rest of our lives![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 10-13-2003, 05:23 PM
Trailblazer

i agree 100%
i would be willing to donate my time...the problem is development pushing in on what was just a few years ago worthless farm land
now all of a sudden the whole state is up for sale and everbody who owns large tracts of land know its time to cash in...
its all about the almighty dollar
however...as i said above...im in!

Old 10-13-2003, 05:34 PM
Trailblazer

just another tidbit yall should know,if you dont already...
florida is the largest state east of the missisippi river!
BUT acre for acre we have one of the lowest percentages of state-owned legal ride areas in the entire country![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img]

Old 10-27-2003, 02:09 PM
Trailblazer

I just received and read the initial report from the Off-Highway Vehicle Safety & Recreation Act Report Dated Dec. 19, 2002. The T. Mark Scmidt Act.

It has a lot of info that surprised me and I think everybody should read it. A new manual is due out any day now but I am not sure what type of info that will have in it.

As most of us know, the 3 areas they are looking at are the Eureka Borrow Pit near Ocala, Myakka State Forest near Sarasota and in Columbia County near Lake City.

This report states that volunteers will be vital in opening these sites and other future sites so I would recommend that everybody talk to their senators and let them know what you can do to help this cause.

I would also recommend that you contact the members of the Advisory Committee and let them know that you want to be kept informed and would like to attend the meetings.

The Advisory Committee Members are:

Timothy A. Breault
Florida Fish and Wildlife.

Vernon Compton
The Nature Conservancy

Michael Long
Division of Forestry

Brian McMahon
Collier Sportsmen Club

Winn Peoples
Florida Motorcycle Dealer Assoc.

Jack Pelham
Depart. of Highway Saftey and MotorVehicles.

Marsha Rickman
Office of Greenways and Trails

Jack Terrell
Florida Trail Riders Assoc.

Gary Wyatt
Azalea City Motorcycle Club

Old 10-27-2003, 08:01 PM
Weekend Warrior

Well that certainly sounds like a step in the right direction anyway. Seems they have really cut the riding down considerably at Big Scrub, with the posting of numbered road signs at the entrance of many "trails"...trails that even on the map are shown as "jeep trails"...but in an effort to curtail the riding area and keep closing it in more and more...currently, now they have eliminated night riding, etc.... just seems the tree huggers and the horsey people and the hunters and the hikers etc etc...they all want it to themselves, and dont want anyone else to have the ability to enjoy their particular sport.

So, as what news you have posted is at least a little glimmer of hope that we are making some progress.

Old 01-19-2004, 03:12 PM
Weekend Warrior

Count me in too!!