Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Stoddard to the River

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2003, 08:45 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stoddard to the River

I know the dual sport guys in the Big Bear Trail Riders club ride to Laughlin from Barstow. I've talked to guys who have done it. I think they follow the route that Bajacat talked about. I wonder if being street legal is the key to this? I'm sure there's someone in the AMA 37 that might be able to help, as well. I'll ask around.

By the way, count me in.

Old 11-18-2003, 10:41 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mojave Road won't work! It passes through the national park, and you must be street legal there. The dual-sport guys have all the advantages! My friends who aren't street legal, just go along with other guys who are, and try to blend in.

Old 11-18-2003, 11:14 PM
Pro Rider

I Done some lookin today on my maps and from what I can remember in my head. My Thomas guide is very vauge on this area and is no help.

We can get gas in Ludlow which is 51 miles east of Barstow. The next (closest) place would be Fenner, this is the little gas station/truckstop that is at I-40 and Goff's rd. It's open 24/7, they use generators for power and plan on $3.00 per gallon for gas. Fenner's about 100 miles east of Barstow.

I used to see CHP ossifers there often and this could be a slight problem.

I feel from here we should head n/e to the corner of I-95 and hwy 163. I don't think that this is more than 30 miles from Fenner and there is a Chevron station here. This is the Tortious protected land though but there should be some sort of roads.

How to get to laughlin from here I dunno.

A couple folks here mentioned the old Mojave rd. It may be worth trying to get on it after we get gas in Fenner as it will take us right to needles hwy ....About 3 miles south of Laughlin.

Anyways count me in on this run.

Old 11-19-2003, 12:34 AM
Pro Rider

[quote]
Originally posted by: katstoy
since Barstow to Stateline has been done, we may try that first. q]

Barstow to State line is fine with me. It'a a few miles less I think. The problem will be gas. The gas stops are farther apart than on I-40. It's about 70 miles from Barstow to baker on I-15. About 50 from Baker to Stateline.

Do we plan on riding back to Barstow too or will somebody trailer us back? Need a pretty good truck trailer to haul all 7+ of us and our junk back

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Heck I can ride from home to Barstow.....I may ride from home to stateline!

Old 11-19-2003, 10:17 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!

For Barstow to Stateline, you will need these BLM maps: Victorville, Newberry Springs, Soda Mountains, Ivanpah, and Mesquite Lake. Looks like there would be two different powerline routes you could pick. Just south of the Slash-X you can pick up a major powerline that heads northeast and crosses I-40 and I-15. From there you could ride that powerline way to the north of I-15, and all the way into stateline. Or, take a minor powerline out toward Afton Canyon/Rasor, then cross I-15 at ZZYZZX (spelling???), and take a minor powerline that parellels the I-15, or maybe find a route that goes way north and picks up the other powerline I mentioned. Maybe it would be a good idea to go out and scout different small sections of the route to see if they are feasable.

The area between I-40 and I-15 is mostly private land, so that area would give the biggest problems for legality. The rest seems to be pretty much all BLM, and should be no problem. There are lots of places where you could arrange to meet a chase vehicle carrying gas. I would have a dilema as to whether to travel fast and light on a sport bike or take a ute and haul a bunch of extra gas, water, and gear. The 400EX has a 5.3 gallon desert tank and suspension that eats desert whoops for breakfast. The 2X4 Rancher on the other hand, has lots of rack space, but isn't as fast or comfortable, and for sure isn't any whoop eater.

We are probably going to be at Rasor Rd. this weekend. The BLM has promised to fix the road which washed out in the floods (see www.rasorroad.com). So, we hope it will be finished!! (Otherwise we will go to Ocotillo Wells.) Anybody going to be out that way??

Old 11-20-2003, 01:00 AM
Pro Rider

Man you guys got me all giddy and ready to do this one. It's roughly 139 miles from B to L.

If we averaged 30 mph we could do it in 5 hours, I'm sure we can average faster than that unless we stop at every Burger joint on the way [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] and dont get lost.

Figure 8 hrs for stopping for lunch, gas and pee breaks.

When we goin?

Old 11-21-2003, 06:45 PM
Pro Rider

I'm thinking Jan or early Feb. We get a few chase vehicles with gas and trailers and we'd be all set. My friends and family are heading out there for Thanksgiving and they'll do some scouting.

Old 11-21-2003, 10:09 PM
Pro Rider

What about the Bradshaw trail that runs from (I think??) Indio out to the Colorado River???? Anybody up for that???[/quote]

I have driven the bradshaw trail a few years back from Palo Verde to hwy 111. I was working in blythe and drove home on the trail. Is it leagal to atv out there? It would be a good ride, pretty easy though. you can watch the bombing range to the south. And see remains of old bombs.

Old 11-21-2003, 10:36 PM
Pro Rider

[quote]
Originally posted by: katstoy
We get a few chase vehicles with gas and trailers and we'd be all set. q]

Thats probly a good idea. But I feel that may be unnecessary. I know I can go 80 miles on a tank of gas and I can carry a gallon extra for just in case.

But if somebody wants to meet us at someplace with gas/food thats fine.

Old 11-22-2003, 01:13 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally posted by: HappywithVForce
What about the Bradshaw trail that runs from (I think??) Indio out to the Colorado River???? Anybody up for that???
I have driven the bradshaw trail a few years back from Palo Verde to hwy 111. I was working in blythe and drove home on the trail. Is it leagal to atv out there? It would be a good ride, pretty easy though. you can watch the bombing range to the south. And see remains of old bombs.[/quote]

Hey that sounds like a good ride too!

I live in Yucca Valley....not too far from Indio. In any case, please keep this post updated because any of these rides sounds great. Me and my brother-in-law would love to tag along.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Stoddard to the River