Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Hatfield McCoy warning

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2004, 01:14 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hatfield McCoy warning

Two years ago i was offered a "deal" on a quad....to make a long story short....the police hooked up with the guy before i did...if ya know what i mean [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 01-28-2004, 05:52 PM
Trailblazer

I stayed in Logan, WVa while visiting the Hatfield McCoy system last year.

When I went down there, I had some car trouble. The locals who did the repair were really nice but they told me about alot of drug use and poverty in the area. They expressed concern about my ATV.
While my car was disassembled for an evening, they offered to store my ATV in their gas station repair bay over night. At their suggestion, I made sure that when I wasn't with it, my ATV was chained to the frame of my trailer and my trailer hitch was locked.

I had no trouble. And I look forward to going back again this year.

Old 01-28-2004, 09:47 PM
Range Rover

Let them try to get mine off my truck www.community.webshots.com/user/waynebradish [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 01-30-2004, 08:38 AM
Trailblazer

FYI I heard of guy in PA that had his 2 Quads locked to his trailer, his trailer locked to the Ball, and the draw bar locked to his reciev THEY TOOK THE NUT OFF OF THE BALL and took the ball and the trailer he though he had it all covered !!!!!

Old 01-30-2004, 08:28 PM
Trailblazer

BUMMER! Have never had a problem with ATV's in many past trips, but on my very first vist, we had some arsal break into a rear slider on a pick-up while parked at the Bear Wallow T/H. He releived myself and a friend of LOTS of stuff: Radar Detector, Cell Phone, Wallets, Air-Tank, etc, etc, etc. The sonomybich even took a pair of freakin' eyeglasses!

We were gratified to hear, almost six months later, that an individual was caught in the same place while in the act of doing the same thing, had the s*** beat out of him, then turned over to police. Turns out he was a local crack head which had been in trouble before and now is in prison.

That's some gratification but I'm still a little raw. LOCK 'EM UP! You can't be too careful.

BTW: By friend who owned the truck traded it the next day. This was the 2nd time in less than a month that some low life had broken into the truck in the same way. It seems that all low life scum suckers all seem to know that sliding rear windows on Pick-up trucks are an easy mark! BEWARE

Old 01-30-2004, 11:08 PM
Trailblazer

That occurred to me although I hadn't heard of anyone doing that. I was thinking about the chains that go from the trailer to the sides of the hitch. I realize they are there for tow security but that could be a way to further lock the trailer to the hitch.

Old 01-31-2004, 12:54 AM
Pro Rider

chains is how i have secured mine for years

Old 02-01-2004, 01:09 AM
Pro Rider

We all ride. We know what kind of things get left behind while we ride. Keep valuables on your person all the time. Wear a money belt or take a pouch that fits around your waist, shoulders & backside. Some things you can't protect when you're riding but do what you can. It make no difference where you ride. Theft is always a possibility. Some of us refuse to see that it can happen to us. Most people in any area you ride in are gonna be good folks. Just be aware of those around you and watch out for the other riders.
Chuck

Old 02-10-2004, 01:05 PM
Weekend Warrior

The cheapest and safest thing you can do to prevent theft of your trailer and machine is to put a tack weld between the ball threads and nut on the bottom., below the insert ball hole.

We all use locking pins on our receiver inserts and padlocks on the trailer coupling, and lock the ATV to the trailer. Or maybe padlock your safety chains to your vehicle. (Safety chains are bolted to the trailer and can be quickly unbolted, or just cut.)

The fastest, easiest way to steal your rig is to just unscrew the ball nut and lift the whole trailer, ATV, and BALL off your truck and just swing it over to his truck with it's ball-less hitch waiting for your ball to be inserted. and the nut replaced.

Then he just drives off with your whole rig and takes it to his garage where he can cut whatever he has to cut with a torch or abrasive saw at his leasure in complete privacy.

Old 02-10-2004, 04:29 PM
Pro Rider

I like a loud dog, and a louder pistol.

Quick Reply: Hatfield McCoy warning