Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Where to ride in Southern Maryland

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2003, 09:36 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where to ride in Southern Maryland

Just bought a 600twin Polaris and am looking for places to ride. I know of the ATV Park which is pretty close to me but seems expensive. Anyone have any other places. Anyone ride at the ATV Park near Budds Creek?

Old 11-29-2003, 05:32 AM
Trailblazer

i'm looking for places in frederick/hagerstown area. i know of greenridge, the cove in va, and looking for more.

Old 11-29-2003, 09:23 AM
Range Rover

Nice to see a local-HAGERSTOWN- on the forum. My wife and i both ride greenridge. What type of riding do you do?

Old 11-29-2003, 09:50 AM
Trailblazer

I wouldnt mind traveling to Hagerstown after its broke in a little more. The cove is in Winchester VA, is that any good?

Old 11-29-2003, 10:02 AM
Trailblazer

i was just there this past sunday [for the first time] before i went hunting. i rode with 5 or 6 guys for about 2 hrs. not enough time to get a good feel for the place. the trail we were on was muddy and very rocky in places, but we have had so much rain this year it is muddy everywhere. the soon to be wife and i would like to ride with other couples in the future. i work at night so i can ride during the day in the middle of the week, or the weekends also. during the week i don't need much notice, a day or two.

Old 11-29-2003, 12:03 PM
2TV
Pro Rider

Hey fellow Marylanders. “The Cove” is a 3000+ acre tract of private property which the owners operate as a camping / recreation area. However they have an agreement with NVTR (Northern VA Trail Riders) to allow riding on a pay per day ($20) basis. They have 10 – 15 miles of trails I believe, certain areas are off limits to avoid offending campers. They also hold national Jeep events there several times a year. I’m not sure if you can ride there unless you are a member of the R&T M/C or NVTR clubs or at least come as a guest of a member, but you can call and find out (see the web site for contact information). Most of the trails are very rocky. I was involved at the beginning with the R&T M/C club in mapping of the trails. I haven’t been there in more than a year myself but I used to go almost every weekend (mostly to map trails, which also involved riding the trails).

Another good riding area about the same distance away as The Cove is George Washington National Forest in VA. They have several trail heads and currently (as far as I know) the riding is free except for a $5 daily parking fee. See the web site for more information.

Also about the same distance away is the area managed by the Tower City Trail Riders in PA (near Tower City). This place is pretty big and has a variety of riding conditions (including outrageous hills) however you must be a member of TCTRI or accompany someone who is a member (and pay a guest fee of $30). Membership and fees are pretty steep but the riding is good, it all depends on how much you can get out to ride and if it’s worth it to you. You can go up there one time for an inspection ride as a guest of TCTRI where you pay the guest fee and go. See the web site for more information.

All of those places mentioned above are “day trips” from the Frederick / Hagerstown area. I don’t know of any other significant places (besides Greenridge) to ride that are close. I’ve only been to Greenridge once and that was a long time ago on a dirt bike and as I recall the riding there was limited and pretty tame.

The Hatfield McCoy system is currently my favorite riding area however you have to dedicate at least 3 or 4 days for it to make the 7+ hour (one way) trip worth while. I try to go down there 3 to 4 times a year. Beyond that I have a few trails and some technical spots on our farm (between Frederick & Hagerstown) where at least I can get out and ride around but it’s nothing compared to a place that has many miles of trails…

Old 11-29-2003, 02:53 PM
Range Rover

Hey jroffroad my wife and I would also be interested in riding with other couples.
Drop us an e-mail and we can tell you more about our selves and our type of riding.
Note -- I will try to PM our e-mail address to you.
Thanks, Midget

Old 11-29-2003, 05:32 PM
Trailblazer

How bout taveling to West Virginia.... The price is not bad $25-in state $50- for outta staters Thats is a year pass
To ride all of the trails it would take about 4 days there are 4 trail head systems... thats if you go hard.. I personal like to take 2 days on each system... There are 400miles of riding!! It is WELL WORTH IT!
Check out their site http://www.trailsheaven.com/

Old 11-29-2003, 08:04 PM
2TV
Pro Rider

Hello WVRider02, the Hatfield McCoy annual permit fee is $100 for out of state (non-WV) residents, or you can get a 1 day pass for $15, or a 7 day pass for $35. The 1 year permit is good for a calendar year from the date you purchase it.

The Hatfield McCoy system currently has about 400 miles of trails and is expanding (plans are to eventually have over 2000 miles of trails!). The trails are fabulous and well worth the fee which is used to help maintain the trail system. I just wish it was closer for me that way I'd get down there more than the 3 or 4 times a year that I do now...

Old 12-01-2003, 11:04 PM
Trailblazer

Looks like I am going to have to travel. No one seems to know anything about Southern Maryland Riding, especially in the St Mary's County area. Where should I travel too? I just bought this ATV and used it for the first time last weekend. The 4 wheeler is pretty awesome. I am looking for some other places to try.

Quick Reply: Where to ride in Southern Maryland