Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

San Bernardino Mtns/Silverwood Lake

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2003, 03:46 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default San Bernardino Mtns/Silverwood Lake

I have read a lot about riding in these areas. I know a lot of it is closed because of the fires, but of the areas that are open (North & East of Big Bear i presume) where is a decent staging area? I usually ride off the 15 at the 138 and that is a pretty nice staging area. Are there staging areas like this in the SB mountains anywhere? I'd like to take the Misses for a ride and not get yelled at for not knowing where I am going. Thanks for any advice.

Old 12-22-2003, 12:47 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/sanbernardin...461374575.html

Get the set of 3 free OHV maps. They outline the riding and staging areas. (Don't know why they don't offer them online for people to print out?) You can get them quickest by calling the Big Bear Discovery Center and they will mail you some, or most ranger stations have copies.

Miller Canyon (at Silverwood Lake) and Pinnacles (behind Lake Arrowhead) are my favorite staging areas. Unfortunately, they are both CLOSED BECAUSE OF FIRE, and who knows when they will reopen.

Your best bet right now, is going to be near Green Valley Lake. Take the 330 to the 18 (like you are going to Big Bear). Turn at Green Valley Lake Road, and go in several miles to 3N16. Go down 3N16 a couple of miles, and there is a staging area on the right, at the top of trail 2N12X. Keep in mind that 2N12 is a tight single track, so if you or your wife aren't up to some tecnical trail challenges, go down to Crab Flats, and just park somewhere down there. Road 3N34 to the west from Crab Flats, is closed, but 3N16, etc. are still open.

When are you going? There are people who are in the forum who live up there, and might be willing to give you a tour. We are planning a day trip, somethime after New Years (this will be a mellow ride with the kids).

Also, the Cactus Flats area northeast of Big Bear. Take the 18 out of Big Bear, down toward Lucerne Valley. You will see signs to the Cactus Flats staging area on the right along the highway. Just follow the signs up 3N03 for a mile of so, and they will direct you to it.

Old 12-22-2003, 10:54 PM
Pro Rider

Plus we might get some snow for xmas!!!! (Please Please Please Please)

Old 12-23-2003, 02:17 AM
Trailblazer

Thanks for the details on the closures and directions.
I haven't set a date for our trip. The wife works most weekends, so squeezing in a weekend trip is difficult. As soon as I get the go-ahead from her I'll post. I find that riding with someone who knows the lay of the land is a much more enjoyable ride.
I have 0 experience riding in the snow. Is it pretty tough for a sport quad?

Old 12-23-2003, 02:45 AM
Trailblazer

Reconranger...do you know if there are any meanings to the forest road numbers assigned to trails? I'd imagine that there is some sort of 'method' used to mark these trails....then again...maybe not. Just a thought...
I gather the area of forest east of Green Valley Lake is open for travel? Are any of those roads restricted to motorcycles? If so do you know if rangers enforce that kind of restriction?

Old 12-23-2003, 04:58 AM
Pro Rider

MVWarrior, There are plenty of places to ride, still, and your Warrior should be just fine. Even on the technical stuff. If there's any rhyme or reason for the particular number designations on the forest service roads, I am unaware of it. Some if the roads are limited to street-legal-only, and it's really ridiculous because many of them require a modified 4X4 to negotiate (John Bull Trail, etc.). Is it enforced? Not really. There are really only two USFS law enforcement rangers for the Big Bear/Lake Arrowhead areas. They don't go onto technical trails looking for quad riders. Illegal wood cutting and marijuana cultivation occupies most of their time. And I can tell you, they drive a Chevy Tahoe and a Ford Expedition. They ain't going through a nasty rock garden looking for quad riders. Trust me. I'm not saying to go out and ride anything. Just use good judgement.

My wife and I live and ride in the San Bernardino Mountains, and we would be more than happy for you to join us. ReconRanger is also a good guy, and he would be good to hook up with, as well. By the way, weekends aren't necessary for a good ride. I often have Mondays off, and can ride any morning because I don't work until 2:00 PM.

Old 12-23-2003, 08:21 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: WileyCoyote<br I don't work until 2:00 PM.
Wow, you could really sleep in with those hours. I sometimes get home at 2:00pm.

Old 12-24-2003, 08:30 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[quote]
Originally posted by: mvwarrior
Reconranger...do you know if there are any meanings to the forest road numbers assigned to trails? I'd imagine that there is some sort of 'method' used to mark these trails.
I q]

Roads with a "N" go north and South. Or are suposed to anyway.

Roads with a "W" go.....You guessed it . East and west!