Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

riding at windy point, Palm Springs?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2004, 04:36 AM
Quad Patrol
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default riding at windy point, Palm Springs?

Sounds like a great place to ride. To bad it might not be legal. Here's a little info on trespassing, the land does not need to be posted. If you are asked to leave private property and refuse, you are in violation of 602(k)(1) p.c. If a deputy arrives, he may or may not issue a ticket, it's up to the land owner. Chances are they might just want him to tell you to leave, but, if they want to prosecute, he'll probably issue a citation for a citizen's arrest for trespassing. Also, our office acts as the Property Agent for private property where the owner follows certain procedures with our office and if we see you on the property, we will issue citations per the owners request. Owner does not need to be present. If your curious about trespass laws, here's a link Text Look under 602 pc. Hope this might clear up any trespass issues. Lt. Dan

Old 04-28-2004, 01:27 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Ridinfolks
We wanted to try something different (and close) this weekend - no luck! As we were turning onto Snow Creek Rd., some old lady was already wagging her finger at us and said, "There's no riding here, it's private property". And no one was there or anywhere else around there. We stopped and asked a few people and they told us where to go in the area, but "No off-roading" signs were everywhere and not a soul in site. We even figured we'd stop in Beaumont to ride, but they have that gated shut too! We wasted 1/2 a day driving around and wound up never getting to ride.

We were in a state of disbelief that in the middle of the f***ing desert, where you're not bothering anyone or anything, there was NO WHERE to ride!! What a cryin' shame! What's the state of CA coming to??
The Beaumont riding area is still open. Did you go to the right place? South of the I-10?

Old 04-28-2004, 12:14 PM
Range Rover

It's the place directly off the left (or even right) side of the freeway as soon as you get into Beaumont (coming from Corona)? This last Sunday, there wasn't a soul out there and they had a locked gate going across the entrance. We were bummed!

We've only gone there once before, but we loved the area we found a few miles back where there's a wash with shallow water trickling across the whole width, and the trees make a shady canopy over the top as you fly through the water for about a mile or so. It was great! So refreshing on a hot day.

Old 04-28-2004, 03:22 PM
Pro Rider

Some of that great riding area in Beaumont used to be a rocket engine testing facility for Lockheed. It's currently being turned into some kind of wildlife refuge. Trespassing is one thing. Pissing off the bird watchers is another. Them folks don't take kindly to people like us on their turf. Next thing you know, they're on the phone to their good friend, Barbara Boxer, and a new round of predatory environmental legislation is in the works.

Anyone looking to ride the Inland Empire would do well to inquire with HappywithVforce, Reconranger, or myself, or simply post something here. As a resident of the San Bernardino Mountains, I'm more than happy to offer directions to the better (and legal) riding up here. Most of the trails up here are rocky, and favor a utility quad.

Old 04-28-2004, 03:39 PM
Range Rover

This weekend I think we're going to try Big Bear, up by the Fawnskin area or at Cactus Flats. Never been there before. We're just trying to check out new places to see if we like them.

Old 04-28-2004, 04:28 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do an advanced search of "San Bernardino Mountains", and you should turn up a number of posts on the subject. Do get the riding area maps, and the national forest map has OHV trails marked also. Keep in mind that the area between Pinnacles and Crab Flats is closed because of the fire.

A ride that I like is to take Hwy 330 up to Hwy 18 and go east past Running Springs. Turn off on Green Valley Lake
Rd., then go down forest road 3n16. There will be a staging area on the right a couple of miles in. From there you can take trail 2N12 (nice fun single track!) down to road 3N16. Take 3N16 out to Big Pine Flats, then continue on 3N11. When 3N11 T's with 3N17, keep going straight (north toward the desert). The trail will split. The bottom trail goes down to Wright mine, and the top trail goes out to a very nice overlook (nice place to have lunch). The top trail had a couple of down trees last time I was there, so you may have to do some walking.

Cactus Flats is nice, but is on the desert side of the mountains, and can get real hot. You mentioned going to Fawnskin. From there you would have to drive in a ways to reach any legal trails. Best thing is to stop at a ranger station and get a set of OHV maps and the national forest map.

Old 04-28-2004, 05:01 PM
Range Rover

Thanks! Actually, it is Big Pine Flats that I meant to say when I said "Fawnskin". Yeah, I think we'll try there - it might be cooler than Cactus Flats like you said. I did find a good OHV website about it, but I'll look around for more.

Old 04-28-2004, 07:16 PM
Red Rider

So, just stop at the Big Bear Discovery Center, and pick up some maps. It is on the north side of the lake a little way beyond Fawnskin.

From Big Pine Flats you can go north on 3N16 toward Crab Flats and 2N12, or south on 3N11 to the Wright mine. 3N17 is ok too, but kind of rocky and rough.

If you taste is a more rugged single track, there is a trail 1W17 that you can pick up behind Big Pine Flats campground. It will take you pretty much parallel to 3N16, and comes out near Crab Flats.

Old 04-28-2004, 07:41 PM
Pro Rider

Another thing to keep in mind is that many of the folks who "work" at the Big Bear Discovery Center are actually volunteers. I have found they sometimes don't actually know what trails are closed, and what aren't, and frequently tell people the trail in question is closed. (yeah, I have an ax to grind with the USFS) In reality, the only trails that are closed are the ones between Tent Peg Campground (just west of Crab Flats) and the Pinnacles. The area surrounding Lake Silverwood is also closed. I've noticed that the north end of 1W17 always has wire across the trail outlet. This trail is officially open; however, the last time I was out there, a lot of circumnavigation took place because of all the downed trees. The open fire roads make for some fast flat tracking, but be careful. The blind corners make for a lot of dirt bike vs. pickup head-ons.

Old 04-28-2004, 08:57 PM
Red Rider

I wouldn't drive a motorhome into any of these campgrounds!

Quick Reply: riding at windy point, Palm Springs?