Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

riding at windy point, Palm Springs?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2003, 08:38 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default riding at windy point, Palm Springs?

Is there still leagal riding at or near windy point? The larger sand hill up against the hill is (or was) closed. But to the west you still could ride. This is located south of hwy 111, just east of I-10. Thanx

Old 12-27-2003, 03:09 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A couple of years ago, I kept hearing that it was closed, so I have never tried to go back. It's a shame! I could be out there in 40 minutes. I use to just pop out there on a whim, and ride for a few hours.

Old 12-27-2003, 03:40 AM
Pro Rider

Yeah, it's still closed. There are signs all over the place. That place is so close to my house. I used to take my jeep there. It looks to me that there are some riding areas still open out there. I was on my way to Ocatilla Wells, and I noticed some trails on the North side of the 10 freeway. It was past the 111. I was thinking of taking my new Prairie out there tomorrow. Let me know if you guys find anything out about this place!

Old 12-27-2003, 10:14 AM
Pro Rider

I am going out there this morning. It will just be my kids (10 yr. old boy and 15 yr old girl) and me. I hope there still is the open area west of the big sand hill. The closed signs used to keep you off that area only. I'll be in a white tundra and white enclosed trailer. Lets ride![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] There is also a neat oasis to hike to.....water comming out of the rocks and palm trees growing everywhere.

Old 12-27-2003, 11:07 PM
Pro Rider

Well I just got back. It is the same as I remembered. You cannot enter through (or under the hwy 111) bridge. We entered off hwy 111 and 1st rt. is Snow Creek rd. Go down half mile or so and go left down an easy wash. This takes you to snow creek (and it is flowing). You can park near the creek and RIDE IN THE SAND HILLS. We were by ourselves from 9:00am till 11:00am. Then a large group of 20 or so trucks drove on up aways (with quads and stuff). Soon other groups came over. We left at about sunset. Another fun SAFE trip. GREAT weather, clear, sunshine and 65 out. This is a great day ride that is still legal.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 12-28-2003, 11:54 AM
Pro Rider

I was there for a couple of hours to just before sunset. It still is a pretty good place to ride[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 01-04-2004, 03:49 AM
Pro Rider

HappywithVForce, we're going riding out there tomorrow at about noon. If you get this in time, and want to join us, send me a PM. My wife and I will be on the untility quads. My buddy Jeff will be on a Warrior, and his kids (daughter 13, and son 10) have their own quads. This will just be an afternoon outing for a few hours.

Old 01-04-2004, 10:26 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: WileyCoyote
HappywithVForce, we're going riding out there tomorrow at about noon. If you get this in time, and want to join us, send me a PM. My wife and I will be on the untility quads. My buddy Jeff will be on a Warrior, and his kids (daughter 13, and son 10) have their own quads. This will just be an afternoon outing for a few hours.
Thanks for the invite! We just got back from Glamis sat nite. I am beat....This is my first trip with my new sand star paddle tires and i was climbing and jumping everything! So i am a little sore this am. Have fun. And try to find the oasis. It is a nice short hike. Go to the south of the sand and then to the east you will see the palm trees growing out of the rocks. Someone dug a cave and water comes out all year.

Old 01-05-2004, 03:02 AM
Pro Rider

HappywithVforce, we went and rode your area. Good area to bring the kids. Lots of little sand hills. Wind was light, and temp was about 60. Perfect.

My wife and a climbed up to the oasis, too. Did you ride the hill climbs at the far west end of that little valley? They're on the west side of Snow Creek Road. They're pretty nice. We had a Suzuki LT250, a Blaster, a Warrior, and my Prairie all going for the summit. Nobody had paddle tires, so only the 4X4 Prairie made it to the top. I would like to see the V-Force go up it.

Snow Creek Road has almost no traffic, so it can serve as a nice drag strip to put an end to those arguments over who's got the fastest ride. Or so I've heard, anyway [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]. (That would be unlawful)

Old 01-05-2004, 09:58 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We use to stage from under the bridge at Windy Point before it got closed, and sometimes ride down to Snow Creek. Haven't been to the oasis in years. We were looking for a close place to take some friends who are beginners. Maybe we will give it a try.

Quick Reply: riding at windy point, Palm Springs?