Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Ohio riders

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2005, 11:06 AM
Shed Knocker Rider
Harley Punk!
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Ohio riders

Originally posted by: YamRap
Hatfield McCoy is the best riding on in the East US that I have done, however if you get bad weather in the mountains, the fun goes away fast.

I can't wait to get a chance to go, it sounds like a blast. It must be good, because it is featured a lot in ATV mags.

Old 11-11-2005, 05:19 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ohio riders

The nice part about H/M is the trails are very well marked and also rated as far as dificult to easy. However, compared to other places I have been, H/M 's easier trails are more difficult than others. The worst parts are the first couple miles going in, these have have narrow trails and steep dropoffs. Our first trip their three years ago on one section the trail was only 5 ft wide with a 100 ft drop off on one side and a rock wall on the other side. This is where my wife lost it, nervous about the dropoff she got into some mud and gunned it a little to hard and slipped her rear wheel over the edge and then rolled the machine over three times before stopping. However the last trip down their this past summer that section of trail has been widened considerably. Go easy and you won't have any problems, use your head. Their are some awesome hills to climb that are part of the trail. Up and down are both quite interesting especially if someone is coming the other way. The scenery can be spectacular !!!! Hope yopu all enjoy as much as I have....Ride Safe !!

KenR
Airshot

Old 11-15-2005, 05:21 PM
Pro Rider
Default Ohio riders

Right on, the easy trails at H/M would be medium in most places. If you don't have extensive riding experience I wouldn't even try the black trails. Also buy a good skid plate before you go, the factory plastic ones don't last long on those rocky trails.

Old 11-16-2005, 09:23 AM
Shed Knocker Rider
Harley Punk!
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Ohio riders

Heck Yeah, I definately need to get down there then! I get bored going to most public parks because the trails are too groomed.

Old 11-27-2005, 02:35 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Ohio riders

Ride www.bigrockatvpark.com to prepare yourself for Hatfield/McCoy. If you ride all of Bigrock, just outside of Maysville Ky., you can ride almost any where else you want to ride. If you ride Widow Maker Hill @ Bigrock you can ride any where. 2000 acres many miles of trails most have all been reconditioned this past summer, a jump area, several mud areas, a couple mud bogs, easy open field riding and creek rideing as well as difficult hill sides. 3 nice Ohio river overlooks that also onerlook Maysville Ky. We felt like H/M was not a hard ride, was pretty and a very nice place and will go back but after many times to Bigrock H/M is not difficult. Same way with Taylor Park Co., very beautifull but an easier ride than Bigrock except for the extreme hard mountains. bob .........

Old 11-27-2005, 02:42 PM
Trailblazer
Default Ohio riders

im from paulding ohio up north by defiance i ride mostly in the woods off to the side or go to leymans

Old 11-27-2005, 05:29 PM
Pro Rider
Default Ohio riders

You guys really should try Harlan County KY. I went their a few weeks ago and had a blast. It is about the same distance as H/M from Cincy and the roads are much better. Don't get me wrong, I loved H/M, but I liked Harlan Co. more. The views are much better (if that's possible) and there are very few rules.

Some advantages of Harlan Co.:
- You can camp anywhere you like on the trails.
- The local ATV club will provide you with a free guide to take you on some awesome rides off the park. For free.
- There is no fee to ride any of the trails. This alone could pay for your gas.
- The local town (Everts) is ATV friendly.
- The people are some of the friendliest you'll ever meet.

The only real disadvantage I saw is that the trails in the actual park are not marked as well as H/M.

Here are some links if your interested:

Ride Videos
Harlan County Ridge Runners
Official Site
Place where I stayed

There are also some picture on my picture page.

Old 11-29-2005, 05:42 PM
Pro Rider
Default Ohio riders

It sounds and looks like this a place for 4x4's. Would it be worth the trip from NW ohio if the whole group was on sport quads?

Old 11-29-2005, 06:16 PM
Pro Rider
Default Ohio riders

Originally posted by: YamRap
It sounds and looks like this a place for 4x4's. Would it be worth the trip from NW ohio if the whole group was on sport quads?
If you're into wide open throttle, jumping and what not - I would say no. If you like technical trails and hill climbs, then yes. Basically, the terrain is a lot like H/M.

Old 11-29-2005, 06:22 PM
Pro Rider
Default Ohio riders

So if I make the trip on my Raptor, there won't be impassable mud holes or rock climbs where four wheel drive is needed and no way around. the only reason I ask is my last trip to H/M I got to a few really rocky trails, and the steep grade and wet rocks just wouldn't let me hook up, so I had to turn around.

Quick Reply: Ohio riders