Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

So Cal. - Cactus Flats

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2004, 11:00 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So Cal. - Cactus Flats

Can the 67 something miles that is Cactus flats be ridden on a sportsquad? It would be a shame to have to trailer out the quads only to find out it's too rocky to be done on a 2wd sportsquad. I been eyeing this spot now for some time and want to head up this weekend. I tried to make it into the staging area in the girlfriends Mustang but didin't quite make it there, about half ways we turned around cuz we kept scraping the under side of the car. Anyways, just wondering as 67 miles of trail in the mountains sounds like pardise.

Old 02-04-2004, 11:21 PM
Pro Rider

Its a pretty good spot to go if you have never been there. It is not really rocky out there. You must have entered off the upper section off hwy 18. It is a bad road. If you keep going (away from Big Bear), there is another road off the right that is more level and not nearly as rocky (it has been a couple of years since I was there). You kind of go past the riding area and like I said, go right and backtrack to the area. Also try to find the mineshafts. Many of the trails lead to the old mines.

Old 02-04-2004, 11:54 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's ok. Not as rocky as it looks. No problem for my Mojave. I don't think there's 67 miles of trails though. Most of the trails in the area are for street legal only. I have ridden from Cactus flats to Pioneertown, although it's not legal to do so.

Most of the mines have been closed. They put big steel bars at the front. They call it "Bat habbitat. Too bad because several years ago I was able to crawl into one and found someones name carved into a piece of wood along with a 1920 something date.

Old 02-05-2004, 04:52 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!

The staging area has no rocks to speak of. As you take the trails to the south, it gets pretty rocky, but not so bad that a sport bike can't do it. I too doubt there are 67 miles of trails back there????

Old 02-05-2004, 12:35 PM
Elite Pro Rider

[quote]
Originally posted by: Chris142
I have ridden from Cactus flats to Pioneertown, although it's not legal to do so.

Are you sure it's not legal? My in-laws live in Pioneertown near Rimrock and I ride from there all the way up to Baldwin Lake until the trail ends (about 22 miles). There is a small section of paved road near the start of the trail at Rimrock that I have to cruise along side (off the shoulder), which may not be completely legal. My understanding from local Sheriffs is that as long as you go very slow off the shoulder and don't act like an idiot they will pretty much leave you alone. I have not gone all the way to Cactus flats but there is a sign half way up that points to it and it is all dirt trail. I'm pretty sure I can legally do this with a green sticker. There are signs all over the trail from Pioneertown to Baldwin Lake showing 4x4, 2-wheel, and quad OK. Correct me if I'm wrong please.

Old 02-05-2004, 04:14 PM
Range Rover

Doe! I just checked the website again, look like only 6 miles of atv trail, o well, scratch that. I have to call to confirm, just seems that they aren't very friendly very time i call. Plan B is going to be Lucerne Valley or Johnson Valley. Thanks for the replys fellas

Cactus Flats is part of the Big Bear System, which in total consists of 68 miles (6 miles of motorcycle trails and 62 miles full-width trails/roads).
VEHICLES PERMITTED: Motorcycles and ATV"s (50" wide) If in doubt, maps and trail signs indicate which type of vehicle s are allowed on each trail.

Old 02-05-2004, 04:24 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!

What Cactus is great for is to take the kids and let them rip around the staging area.

Old 02-05-2004, 04:42 PM
Range Rover

you just saved me half a day, thanks Reconranger

Old 02-05-2004, 09:28 PM
Pro Rider

If you have not tried El Mirage dry lake yet. I would try it. Lots of trails too. Not as far as Johnson valley.

Old 02-05-2004, 10:12 PM
Pro Rider

[quote]
Originally posted by: Just4Kicks
Originally posted by: Chris142
I have ridden from Cactus flats to Pioneertown, although it's not legal to do so.

Are you sure it's not legal? My in-laws live in Pioneertown near Rimrock and I ride from there all the way up to Baldwin Lake until the trail ends (about 22 miles). There is a small section of paved road near the start of the trail at Rimrock that I have to cruise along side (off the shoulder), which may not be completely legal. My understanding from local Sheriffs is that as long as you go very slow off the shoulder and don't act like an idiot they will pretty much leave you alone. I have not gone all the way to Cactus flats but there is a sign half way up that points to it and it is all dirt trail. I'm pretty sure I can legally do this with a green sticker. There are signs all over the trail from Pioneertown to Baldwin Lake showing 4x4, 2-wheel, and quad OK. Correct me if I'm wrong please.

################################################## #######

I havn't been from Pioneer town to Baldwin lake so I dunno what the signs say. But if they have a pic of a quad that means that it's a legal trail.

3n03 is the road that takes off of hwy 18 just south of the 6000ft sign----Or is it the 5000ft sign?....Anyway. 3n03 will take you to the staging area, you cannot legally ride 3n03 between the staging area and hwy18.

There are a couple of trails that take off from the stage area. One does a loop the other ends up on 3n03 and you can ride east on 3n03 for a few miles. Then it will say "Street legal only" ride another couple of miles and your legal again.

So whoever was puttin up the signs needs their heads checked. Your supposed to park, unload the quad, ride, turn around and ride back, load the quad up and drive the truck with the quad in it to the next area, park, unload, ride, ride back etc.

Chris <---------scratchin my head about this one

Quick Reply: So Cal. - Cactus Flats