Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

sacto snow ride

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2004, 08:28 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sacto snow ride

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]Hey , Took a run up to eldorado national forest. Specifically to consumes mine road, went as far as i could with pickup, then unloaded. Had a blast, made it up to baltic overlook, thanks to some previous snowmobile riders, they broke a trail for me, in 6-8 inches of snow. What a blast, I then turned around and rode down into happy valley, very muddy and snowy. I ended the day by going as far up consumes mine road as i could go, snow got too deep. I put 28 miles on, it was clear as a bell you could see for miles. It is a great place to ride, except where the snowmobliers were, it was virgin snow all day.

Old 02-06-2004, 10:15 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default sacto snow ride

No problem with the forest service? sound like a great time? Any more details?

Old 02-06-2004, 11:10 PM
Range Rover
Default sacto snow ride

Why do you think there would be problems with the forest service? All the roads were unpaved forest service roads. What other details would you like, i would be happy to supply them. Regor

Old 02-07-2004, 04:07 AM
Quad Patrol
Default sacto snow ride

sounds like a great time. I have to ask the same ?? as blueheeler about the forest service. There is an area above Sonora that allows snowmobiles to ride during the winter, but no atvs. Once the snow is gone you can ride atvs, but not during the winter.

Old 02-07-2004, 12:43 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default sacto snow ride

As long as the Forrest Service allows it, I would like to go there. I am new to trail riding and would like directions to this location or any other you have found that I can get to withing 2 hours of Roseville/Sacramento. We are hitting Forresthill next week (I think) unless you have better suggestions. Since you are from Sac.... where do you like best??

Old 02-07-2004, 03:23 PM
Range Rover
Default sacto snow ride

Have you tried pipi valley? There are plenty of marked trails there for atv's and motorcycles. Thats off omo ranch road, which runs between hwy 88 and sheandoah valley road. Consumes mine road directions, Get yourself to somerset, go up the hill. past the post office. Keep on this road, stay on this road, i can't think of the name of it sorry. Just keep going for about 10 miles, you'll come to a fork, go to the left, down, this is string canyon road i believe. Just a short distance to the left you will see consumes mine road. Stay on this for a couple of miles, the pavement runs out, shortly after, you're in eldorado national forest. The day i went it was icy and snowy, so i unloaded pretty close in.
As you go up this road, the first thing you'll do is cross the river. Just before the river on the right is a trail that goes up the hill, it is really rough with some deep ruts, i was by myself the other day, so i didn't venture up this too far, i don't know where it goes. As you cross the bridge the road goes right up the ridge. After a couple of miles, you'll see a road going to the left. Take this, there is a house up at the top of this road at the next fork. If you go to the left it will take you down into happy valley, which is the edge of the national forest on this side, and to hwy 49. Back to the fork at the house, if you look for the sign on a tree, you'll see arrows for baltic peak, this is the trail i rode the other day with all the snow,really fun.
If you go straight instead of going up the hill to the house, this will keep climbing, and eventually take you to jenkinson lake, I went up a few miles and the snow started getting deep. The snow conditions will change though, this whole ridge faces south and get's alot of
Let me know how it goes, and if you need someone to ride with. i have different days off all the time. ready to go. What do you ride? Good luck regor

Old 02-07-2004, 03:57 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default sacto snow ride

I just bought a Kawasaki V700 last week and trying to get the forst 10 hrs in and change the oil so I can open it up. So far so good, looking forward to trails and the CVT. My buddy bought one too, but it blew at Prairie City yesterday 1/2 hour into his virgin ride. A wee bit upset he is.... especially since we were supposed to be in Forresthill today. Dealer will hopfully replace and we can head up next weekend. Mine has run fine so it musta just benn a Friday-bike so to speak.

We should get a day to ride. Most of the guys at my work at 2-wheelers and I need to build a base of quad'n freinds. In March we are heading to Sand City for an overnight if you are interested. I can take days off wheneve I need to with a day or two notice, so if something cool comes up, drop me a note. email