Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

WindRock

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2004, 07:25 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WindRock

Did you think it was worth the drive BADBRONCO? What was the hardest "level" of trail you went on if you remember? Most of my partners have sport quads so what should we stay away from next time.

Old 03-15-2004, 02:07 PM
jjp
Weekend Warrior
Default WindRock

I went with badbronco to windrock and I feel it was worth the drive not being able to ride any where around here right now.The trails were marked easy,moderate,and hard.The moderate trails were very tough and we got stuck on most of them,either on rocks or ruts.The hard trails we couldn't even really do.Also I'd throw some 22' tires and junk rims on,mine look very nasty.My skidplate is also about wore through so you may want to upgrade that.

Old 03-15-2004, 02:13 PM
Range Rover
Default WindRock

We went to Windrock last year. It's a ute quad kinda place! There are some pics of the ride in our folder if you are interested. I think most sport quads would get worn out on all the rocks! It was definately fun - even the moderate trails were really diffficult for me. (Mrs. Q)

Old 03-15-2004, 02:30 PM
2TV
Pro Rider
Default WindRock

Mrs. Q, since you’ve experienced both Coal Creek (Windrock) and Hatfield McCoy, which one to you prefer and why (if I may ask)? I was curious about Coal Creek myself and was contemplating a trip down there sometime…

Old 03-15-2004, 03:05 PM
Range Rover
Default WindRock

2TV - They are quite a bit alike in a lot of ways. Windrock is definately has more "rocky" sections. It has some awesome scenery too. Like you said, the pictures just doesn't do it any justice. The trails at H/M are more "maintained" than the W/R ones are. When we were there last year, a lot of the trails # signs were missing, so it was vital that we payed attention as to where we were most of the time. That isn't a problem at H/M. There are a lot of trails at Windrock that involve creek riding, which at H/M there aren't many trails like that. Also at Windrock (this is MY opinion) there was too much drinking and riding going on. A lot of people I think go there for that reason, the rules are very few. One other disadvantage (also just MY opinion) was that the trails are open to ANY vehicle - so you might come around a corner and see some Jeeps or big 4X4 come at you. Obviously, on the technical tight trails, it was just other quads or dirt bikes, but the main trails in and out had the other vehicles. As far as just the trails - if you like H/M, you would like Windrock. Just be prepared - keep a closer eye out for the other guy there. No Rangers, not many rules, but awesome trails! If you have any particular questions that I can answer, just ask. Hope this is helpful. I really like both Windrock and H/M, but if I had to choose one over the other, H/M wins because of the safety issue (IMO) (Mrs. Q)

Old 03-15-2004, 05:22 PM
Pro Rider
Default WindRock

I ride with someone who has been to both. As stated here before, the trails are similar. Windrock definitely has them beat in the rock department. Personally, the rocks don't bother me much. Especially considering the trails here in Michigan are so whooped out.

I like the freedom that Windrock offers. I think it's more suited to people that are responsible. There are the knuckleheads there, and the more publicity Windrock gets, the worse the problem has become. When we started riding there a few years ago, you could go on most weekdays, and have the whole place to yourself. Even on the weekends, sometimes there would be less than 30-40 riders. Now that word has gotten out, the crowds have gotten waaaay bigger. Which is good, except that it also brings more idiots into the mix. My fear is that they will end up ruining it for everyone. I like the choice of whether to wear a helmet, whether to ride double, or whether or not to ride at night. Those choices are not available at Hatfields. The police really don't have much reason to hang around in the parking lot. Mr. Greene is the law there, but he can only do so much. It'd be nice if people would just wake up, before things get too far out of hand. One can only hope, I reckon.

Jeeps are not allowed on all the trails. There are a handfull that they can ride. One of the more popular trails is trail 16. Unfortunately, the jeeps keep tearing that one up. You probably won't run into any on the other side of the highway, and I think the riding is better over there anyways. Of course, the locals keep tearing the signs down, so unless you know the area, it does make it harder. I've been lucky enough to have the time to learn the area. I'm always happy to take people and show them around. We have a nice all day ride that we take newbies on that will take them on trails they most likely wouldn't ever see. Hopefully, more and more experienced Windrockers will do the same.

As far as the sport quad comment goes. You have to be a good rider to ride one there. The trails are more technical. The rocks and the hills make it tougher, and more challenging. I've ridden thousands of miles there on my Predator, so it can be done. It's easier on a utility, but I'd much rather ride my sport quad. My parents both ride Sportsmans, and my Dad has been on all but a couple of the trails. I've even taken my Mom on 16, 18 and Roundrock. Not bad for a couple of grandparents. So, there is riding there for everyone, on every kind of machine.

If you take the time to ride Windrock, it will make you a better rider. It'll also put a smile on your face. Man, I wish I were there now.

Old 03-20-2004, 09:42 PM
hc
Range Rover
Default WindRock

<FONT face=Verdana size=1>Predator03, WHen are you going to be there? Me and some buddies are going next weekend for the first time.
Would be nice if we could follow someone around for a while that knows the area.

We have utility atv's i have a 99' Sportsman that i bought new and this week been getting it ready for the trip.
All fluids have been changed, New outer tie rod ends have been replaced this week and will be taking the
original goodyear tires off and replacing with new Good Year Mudd Runners. So i should be in good shape.
Will the Good Year mudd Runners be a good tire for WinRock?

Thanks</FONT>

Old 03-21-2004, 11:23 PM
Pro Rider
Default WindRock

The Jamboree is april 21 - 25. any one else going? Will it be too crowded for a couple newbies. (p650&Eiger)

Can you camp and ride or is trailering neccesary every day?

Old 03-26-2004, 07:01 PM
Pro Rider
Default WindRock

I'm sorry I didn't answer these replies sooner, I just didn't see them until I saw Eiger's message to me a few minutes ago.

HC, I think I might be able to do a long weekend, April 8th. I always like showing new people around. It's almost like it's the first time for me when I do. If you are there then, let me know...as long as you're not an Auburn fan...Roll Tide!!!!

Eiger, you can camp there and you don't have to leave the parking areas at night. If you're going to the Jamboree, I'd recommend getting there at least a day earlier. That place really fills up. Personally, I'd go ANY other time. But, if you're meeting up with people, then by all means.....

Scott

Old 03-30-2004, 11:43 PM
hc
Range Rover
Default WindRock

<FONT face=Verdana size=1>Predator03, we rode on Windrockthis past weekend putting 35 miles on friday afternoon and 75 miles on all day saturday.
best trails ever rode on. but the lack of trail signs was really bad. Thank goodness we had GPS's or we still be on a trail some where. had a good time </FONT>

Quick Reply: WindRock