Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

WindRock

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2004, 09:13 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WindRock

Will do. We have mentioned being there for Memorial day. But it's not for certain yet.

If I was absolutely certain there was no chance of getting ticketed for riding off Coal Creek property. I could show you a boat load of trails.

Old 05-05-2004, 01:29 PM
Pro Rider
Default WindRock

I was going to write up a new post for this but I guess this will do.

I just got back from riding 3 days and about 190 miles there. That place is AWSOME[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] some of the best riding I've done in my life so far. I've ridden Michigan, Ohio (WNF), W Virginia H/M (Bear Wallow), all over PA and NY.

To start there were several trail closures 7, 14, 21 and a couple others I don't remember for maintenance (smooth them out so as not to be as dangerous.

We only rode on the parking lot side of 116 this trip my favorite trail was 12 this is a 4 mile trail that follows a creek in one of the valleys, it must cross it 30 times or more, it takes a good hour the first time through and 2 hrs at night but fun. Next would be 19 this is another short trail but muddy (someone with a winch is a real big help) with a lot of steep short hill climbs. Trails 10, 16, 3, 36, 37 and 8 are fun also.

Now trail 23 is not for the meek this is an extreme trail although it's only rated at difficult. It's 2 miles long the first mile wasn't too bad but that last mile took us about 3 hrs, we started at the end where it meets 11 by the gravel road. Winching and b@lls of steel are necessary for this trail, there were a few places that were dangerous as in you getting hurt along with loosing your machine. We picked this trail on our first day there also, if going to do it save it for your last just in case.

Running the paved road up and down the hill was fun also, felt like I was at Pike Peak, lots of hair pin turns and challenging at 30 mph on a Prairie with 26's.

The maps were great, trails were marked well and everyone was friendly. They WILL be checking for your permit at the parking lot and the camp sites. They were there every morning checking the new arrivals. Watching the Jeeps rock crawl is impressive to watch, I think those guys are sicker than us atvers.

We did the primitive camping (in a $70k motor home) near the parking which wasn't bad at all with the exception of not having any bathrooms. The town of Oak Ridge is quite large and has most anything you would ever need several hotels, walmart, dealers and auto parts stores.

All of us were riding big bore 4x4's and had a blast[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

Old 05-05-2004, 02:41 PM
Pro Rider
Default WindRock

Yep-- I really liked trail #12 ,too. Lots 'o round rocks, though.

Old 05-16-2004, 11:55 PM
Trailblazer
Default WindRock

Brad, sorry i haven't gotten back to you before now. My computer got hit by the sasser virus. we were there, we just didn't take the expedition. we were at the windrock campground, about 2 miles away. Red f150 w/ green enclosed cargo trailer. we were camped near the guy on the v-force who went head on into the concrete barrier on Friday night. Great weekend, we took a nice 27 mile night ride on Sat.

Old 05-18-2004, 01:24 PM
Pro Rider
Default WindRock

So were we! We were right next door. Blue 150 with a tent in the bed and a tent on the ground. Green p650 and red Eiger. Across from the outhouse. Were you with the big group?

The place was a blast! We'll be back.