Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

loud pipes at hatfield mccoy?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2004, 12:26 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default loud pipes at hatfield mccoy?

me and a group are going to HM for the first time and we all have pretty loud pipes. We ride with two ds 650's, a p700 an eiger and 3 vinsons and wwe all have after market exausts and most of them are over 96 dbs witch is the legal limit in new york. My question is, does anyone give you a hard time about loud pipes or any of that. Also will the new york registration cover me in WV. Thanks for any replies.

Old 03-08-2004, 04:05 PM
Trailblazer

You won't need registration and don't sweat the pipes, you will just need a HM permit. I ride a KFX 700 with dual yoshimura exhaust.

Old 03-08-2004, 07:54 PM
Weekend Warrior

I wouldn't worry about the pipes, but I think you will have to get a new pass in WEST by god Virginia to ride HM We got some fair hillclimbs down this way, what are they like on North Hatfield McCoy

Old 03-17-2004, 12:36 PM
Weekend Warrior

just have a spark arester

Old 03-17-2004, 03:29 PM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.

Well by golly, I sure have an opinion on this subject....I can't say for sure what the locals in WV think about loud pipes, but I'll tell ya, it sure looks like you must have already run into the subject a time or two for you to take time to ask the question... and for good reason. I think the number one reason that the average non rider hates ATV's , motorcycles etc is the noise issue. I think it comes with the territory as a person ages, you hate having your little world interupted by some un-thinking idiot who just has to blast everything at top speed, and on extra loud... I can't tell you how much I hate having some punk with his windows doen and his rap music blaring to the point where the paint is peeling off his hood come up next to me at a traffic light. The same goes for the people who happen to live in the woods around which you get to ride your ATV. Enough of the noise, and they start complaining... and since they are residents, and most riders are visitors, the local authorities listen to their complaints, and the action they normally take it to eliminate the problem. Then the guy that has the loud pipes is mad because they lost another place to ride... when in reality, it is their fault in the first place... Now I am not going to say what is right or wrong, but I sure get bent out of shape when a small percentage of the people in this sport can dictate what the majority of responsible riders can and cannot do, because they are out there exercising their right to be an idiot. What about teh rights of teh citizens that moved their to get away from teh noise in the first place. I'll tell who is going to win this battle, it won't be the riders... I can't tell you how many trails have been closed to not only the occasional trail rider, but we are seeing hunting lands being shut down becasue of the damage being done by those same irresponsible idiots... talk about shooting yourself in the foot. Now I am a lucky one, old enough to be able to purchase my own land for a place to ride, but many, if not most are not so lucky, and it is them poor suckers that you are hurting with the LOUD pipes... the best rule of thumb is this, if you think there is going to be a potential problem, don't do it... stay home...or change sports... we don't need you out here.

Old 03-17-2004, 08:54 PM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: Dragginbutt
Well by golly, I sure have an opinion on this subject....I can't say for sure what the locals in WV think about loud pipes, but I'll tell ya, it sure looks like you must have already run into the subject a time or two for you to take time to ask the question... and for good reason. I think the number one reason that the average non rider hates ATV's , motorcycles etc is the noise issue. I think it comes with the territory as a person ages, you hate having your little world interupted by some un-thinking idiot who just has to blast everything at top speed, and on extra loud... I can't tell you how much I hate having some punk with his windows doen and his rap music blaring to the point where the paint is peeling off his hood come up next to me at a traffic light. The same goes for the people who happen to live in the woods around which you get to ride your ATV. Enough of the noise, and they start complaining... and since they are residents, and most riders are visitors, the local authorities listen to their complaints, and the action they normally take it to eliminate the problem. Then the guy that has the loud pipes is mad because they lost another place to ride... when in reality, it is their fault in the first place... Now I am not going to say what is right or wrong, but I sure get bent out of shape when a small percentage of the people in this sport can dictate what the majority of responsible riders can and cannot do, because they are out there exercising their right to be an idiot. What about teh rights of teh citizens that moved their to get away from teh noise in the first place. I'll tell who is going to win this battle, it won't be the riders... I can't tell you how many trails have been closed to not only the occasional trail rider, but we are seeing hunting lands being shut down becasue of the damage being done by those same irresponsible idiots... talk about shooting yourself in the foot. Now I am a lucky one, old enough to be able to purchase my own land for a place to ride, but many, if not most are not so lucky, and it is them poor suckers that you are hurting with the LOUD pipes... the best rule of thumb is this, if you think there is going to be a potential problem, don't do it... stay home...or change sports... we don't need you out here.

So, I am an idiot because I have a pipe on my bike. I don't like loud music, or loud pipes in certain circumstances. However you can have a pipe and still be respectful. I don't open it up around houses. I even slow down and putt by people that are stopped on trails taking a break. Not only because my bike is loud but because it is the safe and courtious thing to do! I Will Not Change Sports or Stay Home!!!!
I would appreciate it if you did not stereotype people and throw us all into a group that YOU don't approve of. I am not some young punk. I work for everything I own. I pay taxes and serve my country as a military member to protect these freedoms and I will continue to enjoy them!

Old 03-17-2004, 09:05 PM
Weekend Warrior

really all we need to worry about an end this topic...is the guy asked about loud pipes cause hes from a diff state...new york an cal..have laws to deal with loud pipes...around here in ky-va an west va theres no real laws......just need a spark arester thats it...if its loud so be it...so are them dodge trucks who try sounding like 18 wheelers....or them loud street bikes who make u spill a hot drink when they ride by....i ride in ky where the coal trucks are louder..an the chain saws in the woods where they timber 24 hours aday....so a atv in the mtns aways from peoples houses...wont hurt anything..unless its dry an u dont use a spark arester....................

Old 03-17-2004, 09:58 PM
Pro Rider

I think Dragginbutt's rage is probably directed toward those that ride loud pipes in and around populated area's...... This has been a problem in lots of places near me, as far as the loud pipes disturbing those non-riders.........I do try to talk to a lot of the locals in these are's to please keep it to a minimum as a lot of the riding is on others property.........
Now, as far as the mountains....I would prefer quiet machines, but i do realize that there has to be some place other than race tracks. to run the louder machines.......It seems to me that... outNfront... is aware of this and appears to be thinking of others as he is in there area........

Old 03-17-2004, 10:54 PM
Weekend Warrior

To say that everyone who rides with loud pipes is disrespectful and are idiots is a wide generalization within the ATVing crowd. I am sure there are some responsibile and courteous riders out there who are just looking to squeeze every last bit of power from their machines. Unfortunately, for each one of those, there are 1000 who don't care who they offend, just so they can have, in their minds, a cool/loud ride. It is these riders who give us all a bad name. These are the 1 percenters of our sport.
Generally speaking, most riders are not slobs. They take their trash back out with them. They are friendly and helpful on the trails. They don't ride the off limit trails. They are also sensitive to others concerns. This 99% of the crowd must deal with the restrictions brought about by the 1%. Is this right? Is this fair? I think not. This is what the 1%er never thinks about because he cares about himself and no one else. This is what ticks me off.
I personally don't care what you ride or how loud it is. But there are a lot of people who do. Most of them don't approve, and some will complain long and hard enough to stop you. Guess what, they will win, and when they do, we lose.
I too served in the military and pay my taxes. But I am not so full of myself to believe that give me the right to do what I want, and not worry about how it affects everyone else. Comprimises have to be made. If we want more places to ride, then we are the ones who have to compromise.
BTW, everyone's freedom has limits. Especially if excercising your freedom limits the freedom of others. I am sure that some people believe they should be free to open their back doors and not be assaulted by loud ATV's riding just out of sight. Remember the old saying, your freedom to slug someone ends when your fist touches his nose.
I am done preaching now. I hope some of this will help the 1%er realize what he is doing to the rest of us!!!!

Old 03-17-2004, 11:18 PM
Weekend Warrior

i use a fmf meg max ..but all pipes make noise...the ones that r more loud r the ones ...that r used for raceing or the ones who dont use spark aresters an the quite core.......