Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Hatfield & Mcoys trails

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2004, 09:21 PM
RAJ
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hatfield & Mcoys trails

We are going to hatfield & mcoys to ride in may. I can't wait to go....Like to know more about it, before we go. I'm worried about my quad getting stolen. Has anyone had any trouble? We are staying in logan.
They are a race track and a hill climb right beside us....has anyone raced their? I might try it, don't know yet or not.

Old 03-11-2004, 10:38 PM
2TV
Pro Rider

I posted a clip of a Banshee climbing that hill you speak of in the Video section (under “Everything Else”), it is a pretty mean hill. I also have a clip of a nitro meth fueled street bike engine powered dirt bike climbing that hill (in 11 seconds) but it exceeded the maximum file size restrictions by 1 MB. The trails are awesome and your Scrambler is an excellent machine for the job as you can pretty much tackle every trail that you dare with it. I like running my V-Force at Waterways, Bear Wallow (most of the trails) and Rockhouse (most of the blue / green trails). On the other trails I prefer the Grizzly (especially on the black trails because as a rule those are very rocky and I’m talking boulders in many situations). As long as you keep your machines locked up at night when parked you should be OK. I’ve only heard of once instance where someone lost some equipment. As a rule the locals are very friendly and helpful (I wouldn’t be surprised if it was a “visitor” that stole the equipment). Given the number of visitors the place gets and the relative lack of theft stories, I’d say there’s not much to worry about if you take precautions…

Old 03-11-2004, 11:00 PM
RAJ
Pro Rider

Thanks for the imfo, by the way nice pictures of the hatfield and mcoys. I can't wait to go....they are six of us going. I just hope it don't rain. I think it's cool to be able to ride in town on the quads.

Old 03-12-2004, 10:12 AM
Range Rover

We ride at H/M frequently. Don't worry about the rain - just make sure you take rain gear. We rode the whole weekend in the rain in November last year. 2TV gives really good advice. Rolling Thunder is between Logan and Man, and has one STEEP hill climb. (there's another in Delbarton - but I don't think you can just go and ride it - it's called Moonshine Hill) All of the people are extremely friendly. The towns of Man, Gilbert, Matewan, and Delbarton allow you to ride your quad in town. Logan doesn't though. Rockhouse is our favorite one because you can start in one town, ride the mountain across to the other to get gas and food, then take a different trail back. You can ride in town at both ends!! We have a few pics posted in our folder if you want to look at them. It is definately the best place to ride this side of the U.S. (IMO) We've never had any problems with stuff being stolen either - just use common sense and lock up at night. BTW - 2TV those are some awesome pics you have. (Mrs. Q)

Old 03-12-2004, 10:47 PM
2TV
Pro Rider

Thank you for the kind words Mrs. Q. I wish I could show you what my eyes have seen while riding at Hatfield McCoy (for the people that haven’t been there). The few pictures I have just don’t do justice to what you will find. I end up having so much fun riding it’s hard to stop & take pictures! Many of the pictures I have were taken when I was stopped and waiting for the rest of the group to catch up (the lead rider never passes a trail junction without waiting for the trailing rider to catch up), or there was an interesting obstacle like a big mud hole, log or a hill climb, or a snack break or something like that. Anyway for those who want to see & hear more about the Hatfield McCoy trails, I’ve written up some stories with pictures of some of our rides down there and I’d be happy to share them with anyone who requests them (just PM me with your email address & I’ll send them to you – 5 PDF documents, about 5 MB worth of data)…

Old 03-14-2004, 12:53 AM
Weekend Warrior

HEY, ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT HATFIELD WIS, "LAKE ARBUTIS". IF SO THEY HAVE DONE A TON OF WORK ON THE TRAILS THIS PAST FALL. THEY SHOULD BE AWSOME MEMORIAL DAY..

ATV Connection Moderator:

" Posting of messages using all capital letters is considered impolite and should be avoided."

Old 03-14-2004, 03:52 AM
2TV
Pro Rider

Nope, this thread is referring to the Hatfield McCoy system in southwestern wild, wonderful West Virginia...