Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Hurley 04

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2004, 02:18 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hurley 04

Wife and I are thinking of buying a couple of wheelers this spring. A couple of other friends of ares are also. I just wanted to know if the Hurley ATV rally was going to happen this year or not. I have been reading the forums and its kind of depressing what I am reading about Hurley. Just wondering if its even worth going up there for the rally if there is one.

I have been reading good things about the Iron River area though. We would like to able to camp right from the ATV's. That would be neat. Any suggestions and news about Hurley would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks ahead of time.

FX

Old 03-13-2004, 11:26 PM
Range Rover
Default Hurley 04

Whats going on with hurley? I haven't heard anything- last year it sounded like it was really starting to all come together and get popular!

Old 03-16-2004, 02:08 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Hurley 04

Well they have the rally every spring I believe and I was just wondering if it was still going to happen this spring. Also heard that some of the trails and the law was getting pretty intense up there. Taking some of the fun out of the rally.

FX

Old 03-25-2004, 10:26 PM
Trailblazer
Default Hurley 04

The Hurley Rally is still on. The Mercer Chamber of Commerce took it over last year. If you are planning on camping during the rally, bring plenty of clothes and warm gear. The weather can be cold and rainy..or snow or it could be nice and warm. I met up with several camper/atv people last year and they all wished they had a nice warm motel room to go back to. There really isnt any campgrounds that are real close to Hurley.
We tend to stay out of Hurley and hit more of the back country trails. (less people) however, I have friends here in Norway that love going to the Parade on Friday evening and then doing the poker run Saturday and Sunday.
I will not be able to attend this year. First one I have missed in several years but I was mandated to work. I have to take customers up to lake of the Woods-Canada for a fishing trip. I hate that when that happens! I would rather be wheeling that time of year.
Merrill, Wi happens to be my old stomping grounds. Born at Holy Cross Hospital. I still have quite alot of relatives living there and come down to visit occasionally.
Another area you might want to consider riding is Dunbar Wi. It is only a couple of hours from Merrill Hwy 8. Nice trail system and a small hotel (richards) and camping near by in national forest property.
I am heading out for a ride on Saturday. Looking forward to it!!
Jigginjack
2002 Polaris Sportsman HO-X Limited Edition
2500# Warn Winch
Hand/Thumb warmer
Diamond Aluminum Cargo Box
Charter Member Iron Range Riders
Member of the "Ho" train

Old 03-26-2004, 10:22 PM
Range Rover
Default Hurley 04

Another great place to ride by Merill is in the Harrison Hills area- there is a decent sized trail system that winds its way through forests and hills plus your allowed to ride on the logging roads and many of the secondary roads. I think that the park falls area has a rally but on labor day. There are quite a few places to wheel around here. Hey Jigginjack- I am very envious of your ride this weekend. I am really getting restless about hitting the trails.....[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

Old 03-27-2004, 03:37 PM
Trailblazer
Default Hurley 04

Update on ride:
Very sloppy out there. There is still 21" of snow on the ground and very high water content. Stayed mainly on the plowed logging roads but had to take 2 miles of groomed snomobile trails into my camp (main snomobile trail goes right by our camp) That was ruff. There was a 15" base and on the way in I got stuck once. Leaving on Saturday a.m. I made it about 25 yards before I got bagged. I decided to leave my machine at camp and walked out. Good thing! The trail softened up even more through out the night. I was surprised that not one snomobile came by through the night but on the way out we chatted with a group of six.
I wont be riding for a couple of weeks. You are right about Harrison Hills. I plan on riding that this summer. Looking forward to it actually.
Jigginjack
2002 Polaris Sportsman HO-X

Old 03-28-2004, 08:42 PM
Trailblazer
Default Hurley 04

Hey jigginjack, have you been on trail 6 in Hurley since they destroyed it. Just wondering if its worth a 12hr trip anymore to my favorite trail.

Steve

Old 04-01-2004, 02:23 AM
Trailblazer
Default Hurley 04

How-de-ho- Steve: Good to here from you once again: The last time I was on trail 6 was last October and yes they are destroying it. By the time it will be reopened it will be like driving down a two lane dirt road. The Zinmaster (forester) claims we are the one destryoying it!!! Dont let that change your mind. Still alot of nice trails to ride and dont forget all the great people you meet!!! That is the most important part of riding!!!
I wont be able to ride on memorial day weekend this year, have to work but wish all of you well and have a great and safe ride!!
jigginjack
2002 Polaris Sporstman 500 HO-X
2500# Warn winch
Hand warmers,
Thumb warmer
Nice helmet that doesnt break when I fall off
In-line mirror
aluminum diamond Cargo box
gps ( I get lost when I try to use it) Guesing is still pretty good!!!
Charter member Iron Range Riders
Member of the "HO" train

Old 04-02-2004, 01:44 AM
Trailblazer
Default Hurley 04

Thanks for the update jiggin'. Thats to bad. I have to say that was the best trail I have ever been on. It had everything. 19 miles long and you just never wanted it to end.

Steve

Old 04-03-2004, 12:32 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Hurley 04

Well just made my reservations at the Great Northern Motel for Fri, Sat, and Sun nights. $104 a night for 4 people.

Just wondering though, is this a event where kids can be at? Reason Im asking because I know that Hurley has quite a few adult establishments, and me being a biker I know that some times its really not appropriate for kids to come along.

FX

Quick Reply: Hurley 04