Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Any riders out there from the southcoast of Massachusetts?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2006, 03:37 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any riders out there from the southcoast of Massachusetts?

Originally posted by: Cleve
Sorry Peter, there are no legal areas to ride atv's in Plymouth or on the Cape.I ride in the state forest of western MA., those areas are getting beat up by over-use.I joined 2 clubs in New Hampshire,one of these clubs has a trail system of over 100 miles of trails but this is a 4 hour drive to get there.My thought on forming a club is to have a network of people with atv's and vehicles to haul atv's to where there are plenty of legal trails...just like having a snowmobile in the winter but only atv's.I have a trail behind my house but it less than a mile from start to finish,alot of riders are getting disappointed in this state for not providing more areas to ride in....they just close areas.
Registration in New Hampshire for out of state atv's in $73.I registered last year and rode in Pisgah State Park near Keene,New Hampshire and the Hopkington resevoir,it was worth every $ I spent.The way I figure it....if I ride in New Hampshire just 3 times,it is money well spent.
Cleve
I think that is a great idea. I would love to ride with you sometime. Have many people joined up? How many go riding? How often do you trailer up to NH?

Old 01-29-2006, 07:16 PM

Originally posted by: Cleve
Sorry Peter, there are no legal areas to ride atv's in Plymouth or on the Cape.I ride in the state forest of western MA., those areas are getting beat up by over-use.I joined 2 clubs in New Hampshire,one of these clubs has a trail system of over 100 miles of trails but this is a 4 hour drive to get there.My thought on forming a club is to have a network of people with atv's and vehicles to haul atv's to where there are plenty of legal trails...just like having a snowmobile in the winter but only atv's.I have a trail behind my house but it less than a mile from start to finish,alot of riders are getting disappointed in this state for not providing more areas to ride in....they just close areas.
Registration in New Hampshire for out of state atv's in $73.I registered last year and rode in Pisgah State Park near Keene,New Hampshire and the Hopkington resevoir,it was worth every $ I spent.The way I figure it....if I ride in New Hampshire just 3 times,it is money well spent.
Cleve
Hi Cleve..........are you saying that you don't ride locally at all because it's not "State Sanctioned"/"Legal"???

I ride much the same area as 'yamaharider200' and he's right........miles upon miles upon miles. A whole network of trails. As long as you're registered and not causing problems the EPs don't bother you.......at least old farts like me and my buddies on Utility machines. I'd stay out of Myles Standish however....that's different story.

Old 01-29-2006, 08:18 PM
Trailblazer

BackintheSaddle: Careful, I got stopped out on the High "t's". I stopped for them, I was registered, along with the 2 guys I was riding with...we all got 250.00 tickets. I went out about a month later and sure enough, they were out there again...this time I ran. I go out to ride, I don't cause problems, and I am registered, but they don't care...they just want more of our money!

Old 01-30-2006, 09:16 PM

Hi Tyme

Thanks for the "heads up". We usually don't ride the High Ts much........we're usually doing other trails that interconnect with various High Ts.....woods trails and knarly stuff the big utility machines thrive in. We run stock quiet mufflers so we're not bothering anybody either.

Old 01-31-2006, 10:33 AM
Trailblazer

Those side trails are not as "hot"? That is nice. My heart sinks everytime I drive by the High T's. I think of all the miles of potential trails that I can't ride on, and how awesome it would be to ride there legally. I could leave from my house and ride to Myles Standish, and ride all the way home. It is a daydream to think of going for a full days ride right from my front steps without worrying about breaking the law. I have never even seen the inside of Myles Sandish[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 01-31-2006, 01:41 PM
Trailblazer

I see guys on the powerlines (High T's) near me in S. Plymouth at night once in a while. Theres about 3-6 guys with there lights on, that must be a friggin blast a night. Ive always wanted to do that. Tyme I weep like you everytime I pass the HT's, I grew up on them riding dirt bikes and was hardly ever bothered. Now too many people live closer to them eg:The Ponds of Plymouth and such.

Chris

Old 01-31-2006, 02:29 PM
Trailblazer

Ponds of Plymouth is exactly why it is so bad. That big cement thing is their water supply, so they are not thrilled about people doing hillclimbs on their water. I can understand that, but as for passing thru there, it should be no big deal...they let the electic company put in High "T's" which will probably produce kids with extra limbs and other strange growths, but a quad is illegal...go figure!

Old 01-31-2006, 10:24 PM

Tyme

LOL.......Electricity is fundamental to modern civilized society.......that's why the High Ts are allowed. Also magnetic inductance from the lines is only a health issue if you're right on top of the wires (real close) for prolonged periods of time.

Part of reason that quads have "enemies" is because of loud exhaust pipes. I know the performance pipe gives it more power.......but it also gives more power to our opponents who want to eliminate us........just something to keep in mind.

Honestly, I think the EPs are really more interested in kids with sport bikes (particularly if they're unregistered). I think it sucks that they fined you even though you're registered. Also, they REALLY will be pissed if they catch you in Myles Standish.......it's a protected State Park. I know people do the High Ts and gas lines......but you really don't want to get caught in there. They might even confiscate your bike. There are plenty of other trails in the area.

Happy Trails guys.......and may the force be with you. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 02-01-2006, 12:25 PM
Trailblazer

Backinthesaddle,
I was just venting about the powerlines...I know we need electricity, lol. They gave me a ticket they said I was tresspassing on Atlantic CC property, even though it was the HT's. I called Atlantic and asked if I could ride on there part of the powerlines...they said they wouldn't get into that...I used to golf there once a week...not anymore!
I have a sport quad with a full Yoshi Pipe, so I am pretty loud. I don't think I would blend into the night! I am not nearly as loud as a street legally Harley though. It sounds like you have a blast out there though! I have not been down the new 44 yet...I will look for the place next time I cut thru.

Old 02-01-2006, 07:29 PM

Don't bother comparing it to a Harley. Harleys are legal and they're not a target like we are. We ride near neighborhoods and such.......it annoys people who have nothing to do.......so they complain to the cops. It's just the way it is and we can easily deal with that by using a quiet pipe.

Quick Reply: Any riders out there from the southcoast of Massachusetts?