Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Tales of the Turkey

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2004 | 01:23 PM
|
Weekend Warrior
Default Tales of the Turkey

Turkey Texas, halfway twix Lubbock and Amarillo. On the Caprock and home of Hotel Turkey. This old hotel bed and breakfast is a National Landmark and a cool adventure unto itself.
We went out to Lake McKenzie and met BigBear 02 ( Matt ) from Wicthata Falls at the campground. The Park offishals told us there were at least 35 miles of ATV trails there. Sat we rode on several miles of lake trails that ranged from steep and rocky to fast and sandy, with some mud crossings thrown in. This is a nice place to camp and ride for a weekend, not very crowded either. Also some good panoramic views of the lake from the taller ridges. We will go back.
Sunday was a whole different ballgame. The people that own the Hotel Turkey are way cool and also ride ATVs. They also own 2,000 acres of West Texas ranch about 22 miles from Turkey. They said " Go ride on our ranch, no problem ". The Royal Z ranch is typical West Texas Panhandle land with a jewel in it. The Middle Pease river ( creek ) runs thru it. Man, is this thing fun to ride and race in ! I saw Great Big grims from both Matt and Linda. We climbed our quads up to the rodge top to a deerstand and could se for miles. This ranch would be a great place to primitive camp on the river.
Another good part is, you come stay at their Hotel and they will let you ride their ranch for free. If you dont want to primitive camp out there, they have a nice bunkhouse for rent. You can even camp in town across from the Hotel Turkey. These people bend over backward to see that you ride and have a good time.
The Panhandle gets hot soon, so if you plan to go riding there it needs to be soon. Spring and fall are the best times.
I am still battling with the TON on getting pictures posted. If I ever git it whipped, I will post pictures. In the meantime if u want to see a few, send me a email address and I will zip u a few pics.
Cant wait to get back there this fall !!
Sagge