Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

I think we are all forgetting something

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2004, 04:24 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I think we are all forgetting something

Excellent points indeed. I noticed many people on last weekend's Rumble on the Ridge in Ohio that are obsessed with who's faster, this and that. My bike hauls @$$ and I'm not afraid to ride it. But i've got nothing to prove. I'm not going to race people on a poker run, running people off the trail and cutting people off. That's just immature. That's why we have professional race teams and pro riders. That's where you look to see what brand is the fastest. Even though I could, I won't say anything about current points standings.

Old 04-07-2004, 06:50 PM
Air Cooled Rider
Future Govenator of Kalifornia!

(Rescue is a diesel. "Powerstroke" is the brand name for the diesel that Ford uses. I believe it's listed as "Navistar" on the window sticker. Made by International Harvester. His would be a 7.3L V-8)

Rescue: where do you ride around these parts? Locally I usually ride up at Miami Creek above Oakhurst. Other then that it's Pismo and Hollister mainly.

And I completely agree with most of the people on the thread. I can keep up with most people, unless it's running top gears full throttle out at Pismo. I have a Warrior so I know I'm not going to win any drag races. I pick my battles and only go after it if I've got a chance. So I don't do much dragin. Up at Miami Creek the name is ground clearance and good tires. Trails are taken in mostly 2nd or 3rd. If it's really smooth try 4th but watch out for turns. First gear down hills are also not uncommon. Creeping down a trail straddling ruts and trying to stay out of them is more fun and challenging. Then getting over, or around obstacles (roots and downed trees) really tests you. Doing all that going uphill takes intestinal fortitude and much more skill.

Not to take anything away from those who drag (either flats of hills) but I think you really hone your skills in the technical riding.

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

Old 04-07-2004, 07:49 PM
Pro Rider

Good post In the group of guys I ride with we have a saying "if you can average more than 10 mph the trail is too easy" we like the technical riding, mud, rocks, hill climbs. With that being said I ride a quad that goes 60 + mph thats been modified to go faster. Why? I don't know. A 300cc 4x4 would work for 90% of the riding I do. I think my speedo has read 60 once. Maybe I'm compensating for something[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 04-08-2004, 03:05 AM
Quad Patrol

drummerguy, as blackandred said, I have the 7.3 diesel. I was looking for the f350, but couldn't pass up the truck I bought. Got a heck of a deal. Friends have the f250 v-10, they are nice, they just don't get the fuel mileage or have the torque that the powerstroke has. My truck gets the same city mileage as my old chevy 1/2 ton. But what's even better is that when I pulling the trailer and quads to Pismo, my fuel mileage is better. I love it when I'm cruising along I-5 at 65-68 mph (my avg speed towing), come up on on slower traffic(yes, it happens) put my foot into it and before I know it, I'm doing 80plus mph. Now, I don't recommend driving this fast towing a trailer. (This is one of those, do as I say, not as I do)[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] For those who don't know, legal speed limit in Ca. when towing a trailer is 55 mph. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 04-08-2004, 04:00 AM
Quad Patrol

BlackandRed, I ride mainly private property east of Newman/I-5, friend has 6,000 plus acres we can ride on. We also have 2 off road parks in our county, LaGrange (it's an old rock quarry, not big though) and Frank Raines off road Park (It's a nice area, but better suited for motorcycles and buggies. It has alot of hills. Right now it only has about 250 acres open to riding, they had a huge fire over the summer and shut down majority of it for restoration. If they ever finish fencing off newly aquired land, it will have a 5-8 mile loop to it. Haven't been to Carnegie in quite awhile. We're heading to Hollister this Monday 4/12 for our first trip there. Come join us if you can. I've heard of Miami Creek but other then that, I'm not familiar with it. Your not that far away, Someday, I'll have to hook up with you[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Lt.Dan