Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Marienville Trails

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2000, 08:53 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Marienville bike trail opened on Friday. There were 17 in our group that rode it on Saturday. There was a lot of maintenance done while it was closed and there are a few new spots. I really like this trail, nice and challenging, but not impassable for novice riders. We had two kids and one lady (this was her first trail ride and it was on her new Rubicon) with us. Their only complaint was it was too long. If there were cut-off and easy return routes for the ones that get tired or find it too difficult, it would be a great trail. By the way, I got a chance to ride the Rubicon at a play area. It was nice, but I'll still take my Warrior over it.

Old 07-24-2000, 09:19 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks for the info. My riding buddy and I have been wondering when it would open and how it was. How long did it take you and what was your pace if you don't mind me asking.

Old 07-25-2000, 08:29 AM
Trailblazer

I was the only one in the group that had ever been on this trail. Like I said, there were some pretty inexperienced riders along so we had to wait for them to catch up quite often. I think it took us about 4-4.5 hours to do both loops. The faster riders stayed in front and did their thing, then we would wait at intersections of cut-offs for the rest to catch up. For most of the group, it was just a leisurely ride. All in all, it was a great time.

Old 07-25-2000, 01:21 PM
jim
Pro Rider

Theres a bunch going up this weekend so maybe we'll try it. The last time I was on it 11 years ago, the ruts were so deep the entire quad was in the rut on it side & I had to to walk along side of it & push the throttle. I think it took us a couple of hours just to go 10 miles. It was REALLY bad. It sounds like it's a piece of cake now by comparison.
Thanks
Jim

Old 07-25-2000, 02:17 PM
Trailblazer

It really isn't that difficult. They did a whole lot of work! It is pretty tight in a lot of areas and it seems like a lot of the turns have a mound of dirt just before them to keep the speeds down. Have fun and let us know what you think.

Old 07-25-2000, 02:53 PM
Trailblazer

You guys are getting me psyched to go up there! I've been wanting to go for a month or so but it looks like I'm still a few weeks from getting to it. Anyone planning on going in Aug?

Old 07-28-2000, 10:46 PM
Trailblazer

I plan to go up there on labor day weekend with a club. There will be about 40 of us going. I was up there about 3 years ago but I thought it was a little bit boring. Has it changed much there?

Old 07-29-2000, 04:25 PM
Trailblazer

do they still have the rock hillclimb that is the best part of the trail. It took me and 8 other people 4hrs to do both loops.

Old 07-30-2000, 12:15 AM
Pro Rider

Are the huge rock sections still there? The last time I did the BIKE trail, the boulders were everywhere you turn. We managed to do it in 2 hours but took a beating!...much of it in first gear. The MARIENVILLE trail is the other loop which should only take a half hour or less to complete from start to finish. The TIMBERLINE is the other section which consists of several loops...A thru D ...and you can kill hours over there. All 3 trail systems connect. There are some Marienville pics below...

Old 08-02-2000, 11:44 PM
Pro Rider

xplorman, my friends and I are on the trail every weekend. ( I live a mile from the trail) If you need someone to ride with.

The bike trail is pretty knarly still, lots of hills and real narrow. The rocks are pretty much gone. That great rock hill climb is still there too. Took my fiance down for her first trip on it. I spent more time running back up the hills to take her quad down. But this was only her 3rd time riding. It'll average you about 2-2 1/2 hours to do it. There is a nice loop from the Pigs Ear parking lot. it's about 16 miles. Decent jumps on it, not alot of dirt roads, mostly trail riding. Timberline trail connects to the Marienville trail at Pigs Ear. There is 4 loops. nice and easy trail riding throughout. Alot of dirt roads, winds through the forest on oil lease roads. Nice ride, get to see alot of deer around this time of year too. Only thing i recomend on the Timberline Trail is get a MAP! Kinda confusing in some spots on the trail. There is a lodge to stay at in Russell City. Theres a generall store with gas, and a tastee freez right there. It's only a half a mile from the trail. It's a 2 story house. The number for info for lodging is 814-968-4415. Talk to Ted. There is also alot of areas throughout the trail to camp. Anyone wanting anymore info on the trail can contact me.

Quick Reply: Marienville Trails