Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

(Alaska Rider's) Jim Creek article....

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2004, 01:06 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default (Alaska Rider's) Jim Creek article....

Anybody out there who uses Jim Creek/Knik to ride and have heard the rumors about this area closing?

Look in todays paper Anchorage Daily News (www.adn.com) and click on the one titled "Jim Creeks lawliness parties to end". It looks like the state is fed up and will start hearings on regulating rules that would prohibit shooting and fourwheeling on the flats up to and including the Jim and Mud lakes to the glacier. It is not set in stone as they have to start the hearing process but it is not to late to get back control of this problem.

There is a spring cleanup coming up on the 22nd of May starting at 10am. Starting at the Pavilion Parking area, that is the one on the Dragstrip road. There is a $20 dollar per person or $25 for family and it includes feeding and prizes. Contact for info to (www.alaskaatvclub.org) or by phone to (222-7676) or (arctictrails.net). this is a great way to show that we are all not bad riders and to help it stay open. This is sponsored to us by the Alaska ATV Club and the Mat-Su Borough.

Another way to help keep it open is if you see people dumping trash or cars is to get some info and report it and I know just about everybody carries a cell phone now so it will only cost you a couple of minutes.

For the people who say that is not where I ride so why should I care? Just remeber those 2 to 3 thousand people who use this all year round have to go somewhere else to ride and trash and that just may be your area, so get active. This is the Last Frontier but it in a short while wwe will be just like the lower 48 and their closed riding areas. I will see you all out there. I will be there with my quads and meat trailers to do what I can to keep it open. If this fails I will know i helped to put it back to what it once looked like before it turned into a dump.

Matthew Florenski (AlaskaBoy)

Old 04-25-2004, 04:04 PM
Pro Rider

I see that the couple of guys either do not care this is happening or they just do not want to reply to this after reading it. Or maybe they are not Alaskan riders which is what I hope is the deal, because I would be dissapointed that people would not care that riding areas are being threatend with closure.

Back to the top with this one. AlaskaBoy.

Old 04-25-2004, 10:48 PM
Pro Rider

360mi. away man, sorry. I would help, but don't have the funds for a road trip right now.

Old 04-25-2004, 11:04 PM
Pro Rider

craz400,

Thanks for the reply.

Back to the top.

AlaskaBoy.

Old 04-25-2004, 11:35 PM
Weekend Warrior

seems like some one dosent want people riding at jims creek ,but like craz400 said we live up here and it is a long road trip for us .

Old 04-26-2004, 12:20 AM
Pro Rider

alaskayfz450,

I understand perfectly on the distance. I am coming up your way around June and was planning on towing the quads to go riding with my wifes family up there but with the rate gas is going I might just leave them home. My Expedition does not get good mileage to begin with and adding a trailer and 3 quads might just break the bank getting there. I will be bringing them in the fall to go hunting with her family.

There is alot of animosity between the Butte residents and the Anchorage riders, they(Butte) claim that it is the Anchorage people who are dumping their trash out there and abandoning the cars. But if enough people show up from Anchorage and help clean it up and show that we are all not bad it just might go along ways with keeping it open, that goes for the Valley folk's too. I know you didn't make the mess but it is up to us to clean it up unfortunantly and it needs to be done, again.

I ran into this mouthy little punk a couple of weeks ago who had two car loads of his friends and they were playing crash up derby with two junkers and I got into his face over it. His additude over the fact I pointed out to him about the closure of the area was "They can not stop us, too many people come out here" he was right alot of people do come out here to play but because of his and his friends actions the rest of us will lose a legal area. Yes, he will continue to use the area if it gets closed but only because he flaunts the law and people like that get it in the end. I should of called the Troopers but I thought I had got across to them for they started to leave. I hope I did get across to him but next time I am just calling the cops to let them deal with it. I do not want to loose my temper again and have one of these idiots pull a gun on me while I got my kids with me.

Sorry for the rant. AlaskaBoy.

Old 05-18-2004, 07:14 PM
GWP
Trailblazer

AKboy ~ Have you communicated with the local jeeping clubs? I was stationed there and left in 99' I went jeeping year round out at Jim Creek and Knik Glacier. I loved that area. I am saddened to hear they are trying to close it down. I do hope your efforts will pay off. I know of 2 jeeping clubs Last Frontier Four Wheelers and Alaska Extreme Four Wheeler. When I was a member of LFFW I know that we did trail cleanup and other commnity projects. Check with them and see if you can band togather!

Good Luck!