Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Pismo 5/1

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2004, 11:13 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pismo 5/1

Anyone be there?????

Old 05-03-2004, 08:15 PM
Trailblazer
Default Pismo 5/1

Never been riding at Pismo. Plan to go there on 4th july weekend. Where do you camp? I checked out the state park campground but nothing available. Any recommendation as to where to camp?

Thanks

Old 05-04-2004, 02:56 AM
Air Cooled Rider
Future Govenator of Kalifornia!
Default Pismo 5/1

Make sure you look for the Oceano Dunes SVRA. You don't want Pismo State Campground. Reservations do sell out very early for July 4th. (Yes, it is booked. Just checked.) Try around December (for July 4, 2005)...might have openings then.

You camp on the sand on the beach. 4x4 recommended, but not needed if you finese it, or get pulled in. It's completely dry camping. No hookups. Pit toilets are available. No fresh water on the beach. Have to bring it in.

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

Old 05-04-2004, 02:01 PM
Trailblazer
Default Pismo 5/1

Thanks for the info. Do I need a reservation to get into the SVRA? I'm thinking of stay in a motel and bring the bikes in during the day.

Old 05-04-2004, 08:59 PM
Air Cooled Rider
Default Pismo 5/1

No reservations for Day Use. I'm not sure what the limit is on the number of Day Use. I believe camping is 1,000 "spaces". Fee is like $4 day use. Camping is $6.

There are MANY hotels/motels in the area. Figure $50-100 cheap. Motel 6 is usually $50. Hey, it's a bed and I'm cheap. LOL. Pismo Beach itself is a tourist town. Other towns in the area: Grover Beach (closest), Oceano (not sure if there's any motels there), Arroyo Grande, Shell Beach. (Together they comprise "5 Cities"). Santa Maria is further south. I think 15-30 minutes. San Luis Obispo is to the north by a few minutes. Make sure to bring locks to lock your stuff up if you stay at a hotel/motel! If you have a travel trailer/RV I think you can stay at the WalMart in Arroya Grande. If you need to go further away, there's Atascadero, Templeton and Paso Robles to the north. Not sure what all is to the south. Moro Bay is also about 30 min. away to the north on the coast. Make your reservations NOW. Stuff might still be available.

People from the Central Valley (Fresno, Bakersfield, etc.) flock to the coast in the summer to get away from the heat. Bring sunscreen. It most likely will be foggy/overcast but you will burn like crazy.

Old 05-04-2004, 09:52 PM
Trailblazer
Default Pismo 5/1

Will a 2-wheel drive pickup be able to make it to "Post 2"? According to the state park website, this is where the OHV area begins. It's a GMC Sierra 2500 hauling 1 quad & 2 bikes.

Old 05-05-2004, 12:50 AM
Air Cooled Rider
Default Pismo 5/1

You should be able to. Just air down. Some tire sizes don't have beads so you have to be careful to not air down too much. I think 16.5 or something like that doesn't.

I run a GMC Sonoma and drop down to 12 front and 10 rear. No recent problems with new tires. Just ordinary street tires. Old tires were rock hard and I always got stuck. Speed is the name of the game. Search around here for Pismo and you'll get advice on driving and such.

Post 2 is easy to get to. 1/2 mile, maybe 1 of usually hard packed wet sand. Go at low tied. Summer time the stream should be dead. I've driven across it once and didn't realize I passed it. THere was no water. If it has just rained or stormed, then be careful. It can get fun. A couple of local store have pics of the carnage.