Dunes and Dune Machines Discussion on dunes and dune machines.

Pismo/Oceanic Dunes????

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2001, 02:10 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm planing a road trip to the Pismo beach/dunes for some riding.
I'll admit, Im a newbie when it comes to the dunes.

I'm looking for advice, tips, Any kind of information about this area.

I currently have a raptor, stock tires.

Any advice would be helpful.
Thanks.

Old 10-15-2001, 05:15 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmmm well, first thing are you staying in town or camping on the beach? If your camping on the beach you'll need reservations. Also you should have a 4 wheel drive or at least a friend with one to pull you out if you get stuck. Generally a 2 wheel drive with heavily aired down tires can get up and down the beach, especially at low tide when the sand is bit firmer. As town is right there, if you forget or run out of something you can drive back into town to get it. As far as your Raptor on stock tires, don't worry it should 100% of Pismo's dunes. Camping on the beach is $6.00 per night. If caught with out a reservation I believe the fine is $250-$280.00 (just went up). Here's a web site that should help out!! Any more questions???

Rude Dog

www.oceanodunes.com

Old 10-15-2001, 05:52 PM
Pro Rider

Rudedog-What's this reservation thing? I was there in August for the better part of a week, and never heard anything about needing reservations! Is this something new, or is this just for holiday weekends?

3cross-You live in the desert, so you might as well get a set of paddles. What most people do is put the paddles on the stock rims, and get a nice set of aftermarket rims for cross country. What time of year are you planning your trip? I only go to Pismo in the summer, when the desert is to hot for riding. Summers are mild, but there is very heavy dew at night which gets everything very wet. The fog is often heavy, but usually burns off by late morning. Wind is one thing that can really ruin your trip! If you have an RV you're much better off. In a tent, it can be miserable! We take along lots of cardboard, which you can put around the bottom of your vehicle to make a pretty effective wind brake.

Old 10-15-2001, 10:47 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks for the response,

I will eventually get a set of dune tires, as well as stock, don't have the money yet.

I'm planning on going down to Pismo next weekend or the following.
I do know I need to have a flag and the reg sticker. Im taking my truck which is 4x4 with the quad in the back.
And I'm either going to tent on the beach or stay a few miles in the city at a cheap hotel.
Like I said I'm new to dunes, So I figured i need as much info As I can get.

Thanks for the info.

And thats a good idea about the carboard.

Old 10-16-2001, 09:17 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

YZGUY: YA got me thinking on that one. Must be applicable on holiday weekends cause that's the only time I go. I suppose on "Off-holiday" times there not very busy and a reservation isn't needed and so you just cruise up to the Ranger shack and pay for the days you want.

As YZGUY said the wind if it comes up strong is a real pain. Tents will flap pretty bad and it's anoying. At this time of year though, it's not usually bad. If you have any spare wood, take it along and you can burn it on the beach at night. Anyway Jump into the web site I referenced, find the number for the Ranger and call them and ask them how the weather is before you head out. Don't worry with a 4 wheel drive you'll be fine, just air the tires down to 10-12 Lbs. If your still getting stuck air-em down a little more.

Rude Dog

Old 10-18-2001, 12:37 AM
Trailblazer

I have written advice on Pismo on other forums in the past. Specifically, log on to www.glamisonline.com. You will be on the ASA web site. Scroll down to the Pismo forum and click. You should set the dates for the past 6mo. to a year to get all the info. Click on one thread called "Pismo Advice". I, along with several others, wrote quite a bit about Pismo. I've been going there since 1980 and know quite a bit about the place. In fact I have two trips planned in the next three weeks. Anyways, check that info out, it should answer all your questions.

Old 10-19-2001, 03:21 PM
zoo
Pro Rider

One more small piece of advice, bring some earplugs if you plan on sleeping on the beach, for anyone who has ever camped there can tell you, it seems the rigs that cruise up and down the beach at night never seems to cease and they all sound like blown hemi motors with uncorked headers.

Old 10-19-2001, 11:18 PM
Pro Rider

If you've already been to the Pismo web site this is old news, but one other thing to be aware of are razor backs. The wind blows from the beach eastward, so that the dunes are raked shallow on the seaward side but very steep on the leeward side. Be careful and look before you leap!