Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

OHVs banned in Tennessee State Parks

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2000, 11:37 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well its finally happened, the Al Gore loving tree huggers have got us banned from all state parks in Tennessee. Our public land rights are being taken away from us and the future is very uncertain for all of us that love our off road sport. Its time for you to get involved in your own state by forming or joining local or state clubs, because combined into a group our voices can be heard. At this point all I can say is VOTE FOR BUSH!!!!

Old 07-27-2000, 10:15 AM
Range Rover

First off, OHVs have always been banned in TN State Parks. Second, they are not banned from the State Forests. What has been announced is that if you are caught riding off trail or on a closed trail in a State Forest you are in trouble. You can be fined up to $2,500 and sentenced up to 11 months and 29 days.

The State Forest rules have always existed, it's just now that they have decided to enforce them. After seeing the damage that has been done to some areas, I can understand why.

We need to help the authorities educate the ATV population to the rules and also help them post OPEN signs on the trails.

I covered a lot of this in the Land and Environment Forum. Like I said there, we need to work with the authorities because your friends care about you more than your enemies.

Old 07-27-2000, 12:23 PM
Range Rover

Kevin,
Your correct. I didn't know there was a difference between the two, but when state forests are sometimes right next to a state park, I get concerned that I may be riding in the wrong area and not know it. The signs will help stop this for the most part as long as they are visible and haven't been torn down. No one wants to ride in an off limits area and face the possible consequences especially when you don't know your doing anything wrong. As always state funding is needed along with proper management to make this work.

Old 07-27-2000, 01:57 PM
Pro Rider

getoutofmyway,

You are correct people need to get involved. They need to join or start up a club. I really believe each state needs a statewide club to better represent all the rider for the state. The bottom line is if we do nothing, then the only places left to ride will be on privat property.

Old 07-28-2000, 03:20 AM
Trailblazer

Is this in also true at the Natchez Trace State Park??? I haven't been there in about 1 month, but I love that place.
Thanks. Nick

Old 07-28-2000, 12:00 PM
Range Rover

Yes! These rules apply to all State Forests and TWRA management areas.

I seem to remember that it may be completely closed ot OHV. I live at the other end of the state, so I'm not sure. It would be worth a phone call before you come up for your next ride.

Old 08-01-2000, 01:10 PM
Trailblazer

Sunday July 30 I was informed by a friend who went to Natchez Trace State Park that tickets were being written that day for anyone found riding the trails on an OHV. This sucks!!! Natchez in the best close place to trail ride for me and all of my friends. What causes most of the problems at Natchez is not atvers but 4X4 trucks that go out there at night and rut up the trails.

Old 08-09-2006, 02:03 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default OHVs banned in Tennessee State Parks

I know in the case of the tn/n.c state line,you now have to wear a helmet and eye protection and cannot ride double there or it is a $100.00 dollar fine for each one you are caught not doing.