Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

HURLEY, WI - MEMORIAL POKER RUN

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2004, 09:08 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HURLEY, WI - MEMORIAL POKER RUN

I agree on the signage- we were on trail 6 last year heading west and after a few miles (and a decent amount of time) we get to the first road crossing and there is a snow fence across the trail with a "trail closed" sign! There were no signs any where on the east end of the trail. So, we went ahead and the only thing that we saw that could make the trail "closed" was that the ramp to the bridge at the east end of the trail was washed out and you had to go through the creek! Thanks for the heads up on the Michigan trails- my buddy and I were going to head up that way from mercer this weekend and see how far we could go. Now I guess we will have to change our plans. I wish I could hit the poker run but I have to work just like every other holiday weekend [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 05-12-2004, 12:44 AM
Pro Rider

Chris and Joe,
I've sent you both a long email message. Really looking forward to going up there, I just love it there. Is always more fun as
a group to experience it. Last year was my first year and now I'm hooked. The people you meet on the trails are always so
friendly and helpful.
-Things to bring with: rain suit/parka (getting soaked is no fun); fix-a-flat; scarf or dust mask; gas can w/gas (only needed it
a couple of times-when I got lost[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]); Helmet and goggles for sure; I'll bring my G.P.S this time; Trail and Iron county map-
(the locals think it's fun to remove the a.t.v. and road signs for some reason); cash for the trail-not too many atm machines
in the woods!
Thats the basics I guess. Oh yeah, bug spray!!!! Last year there were these swarms of little tiny nats!!! But they didn't
seem to bother until after I went through the swamp???[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 05-31-2004, 12:15 PM
Weekend Warrior

Well Fruitjacket was that an aggressive enough weekend for you? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] We went back on Sun. and it was a little worse. We just made a big loop from Squeaks over to that 4 way stop (on the road we had to leave Mudstude's wheeler). From there we went S.W. to the railroad grade and then back up to Hurley.

Feel bad for Mudstud and his broken wheeler. The wifes wheeler is gonna have an appointement with the dealer this week. I rode it a bit on Sun. and it sounds pretty bad. Mine I bent the front frame member where the winch is attached to. I'll have to talk to a buddy of mine and see if he can pull that straight on his frame machine at the body shop.

All in all we had a blast. Not sure how long they're gonna leave trail 77 like that, but I hope they don't change it. We may go back up there sometime during the summer and make that longer loop down to sidekicks and back to the 4 way stop on one day. Then the other day we are thinking of running up to Lake Superior.

After some resizing of the pics I'll but them up on my site. Fruitjacket I'll send them to you in the original size. May take several emails though. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Dano what happen to you? Never heard from you.

Old 06-01-2004, 10:03 AM
Pro Rider

I have no idea how any sport quad can live on those trails.. I assume there are other trails beyond what we saw that allow for sport quads..

HD - I hear you have my key and teather kill cord? I can send you the rest of the ATV later [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Dang thing, I am still mad at it....
I will PM you my address if you can just send them back..

Old 06-01-2004, 03:11 PM
Pro Rider

sorry guy's!!! didn't mean to leave you hanging! I got stuck trying to find an extra quad for my firends wife last minute, and we got up late on friday, the four of us rode north of Mercer on trail 8 (kramer lake road) to meet
some of my hunting friends for a late supper, and the girls got too cold[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] So we left our wheelers there, drove back
there saturday and left to go out from there. We just made a loop from just below the Gile flowage, and down
to Island lake and back to Mercer. Only about 50 miles, overall a pretty tame trip. We didn't go out on Sun.
morning, they wanted to drive up to boulder junction to go shopping....uggghhhh, what you have to do
sometimes to make everyone happy!!! I thought it was supposed to be nicer sun. afternoon, but I guess I was
wrong. So we didn't even ride anymore. Overall I was pretty unhappy about our whole trip. I like to put on a
lot of miles, but I guess I was the only one in our group that REALLY wanted to ride. It sounds like you guy's
had a good time!!! Did you try out trail 6 north of 77??? I am planning on going up again soon, for sure in July,
maybe sooner. This time I "will" be riding the whole time. I would like to meet up with you guys this time
if you go up again, sounds like you had a lot more fun than I did!

Old 06-01-2004, 08:37 PM
Weekend Warrior

Well Mudstud I looked at your pics of your DS while its clean. So thats what it looks like. I was gonna put the keys and tether up for auction on EBay, but thought that would be too cruel, you suffered enough. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Dano sorry we couldnt meet up, maybe next time. Late June or so.

I have pics posted on my site now. Its only a couple or so. Don't mind the site being in disaray I haven't had time to keep up with it.

http://webpages.charter.net/jmetko/atvs.html

Old 06-01-2004, 09:23 PM
Pro Rider

That looks like some nice riding. I'll have to get over there and check that out sometime. Looks like you guys like the mud and deep stuff like me. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 06-01-2004, 11:22 PM
Pro Rider

Yeah! you guy's definitly had more fun than I did! I led our group down trail 11a or "camp 7 road" and that was the
most challanging stuff the wives would go through. I did get a littl mud action on the winter trails along Island
lake road coming back from the Bear Chasers, almost needed to get the winch out once, but that was it. Let me
know when you guys are going up again! Nice pictures!!! Thanks, Dan.

Old 06-02-2004, 06:20 PM
Pro Rider

I cant belive that nobody got a picture of me in the mud or my roosts [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]
I am not going back for a photo shoot either! I just wanted to see...

Old 06-02-2004, 10:34 PM
Range Rover

Hey HDRider83,

Where is that huge hole?? I have gone all over the place up there and never seen anything like that! Thats some great pics....

Quick Reply: HURLEY, WI - MEMORIAL POKER RUN