Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

HURLEY, WI - MEMORIAL POKER RUN

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2004, 10:31 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HURLEY, WI - MEMORIAL POKER RUN

I'm curious who's going. I'm staying in Mercer for the weekend Poker run.
Never been there myself.

I'm curious if you could tell me what kind of trails they have up there. Looking for something more aggressive, than just the boring old flat trails all weekend.

Can anybody tell me?

Thanks!!

Old 05-04-2004, 01:51 PM
Pro Rider

Didn't know they had something going on over there. You got any info on it? Thanks... I've never been over there riding either.

Old 05-04-2004, 03:38 PM
Range Rover

Whereisthemud,

I no longer live in Faribault, but now in Red Wing. If you're looking to go, let me know.

Info on run: http://www.hurleywi.com/what_to_do/pg-atv_rally.asp

Old 05-04-2004, 07:09 PM
Pro Rider

I've already got a trip planned for that weekend to northern MN unfortunately. Looks like fun though.

Old 05-06-2004, 09:42 PM
Range Rover

We used to go there all the time for memorial weekend. The have a poker run, drawings and a breakfast on Sunday morning. They used to have a radar run up there which we really enjoyed and you run what you brung type thing. But I guess the insurance balked at insuring their weekend activities if they had the radar run so they quit having it. Then we didn't go anymore. The trails can be railroad bed or rough and muddy.. Take your choice. We it is really dry, the red iron dust can be murder. Some water pools and rocks or mud and all kinds of woods terrain. There are lots of atver's up there so the motels are pretty full, but there are nice condo's that you can rent and there used to always be some of those open..Dean

Old 05-09-2004, 09:06 PM
Weekend Warrior

The wife and I are going up there that weekend. We have a room at the Great Northern Motel in Mercer.

Old 05-10-2004, 06:48 PM
Range Rover

HDRider,

We are staying at the Loon Lagoon in Mercer. It's a campground up there.

If you wanna hook up for a ride during that weekend, let me know. I'm a newbie to that area, so any riders to ride with would be more fun.

Email me if you're interested. chris@startech-comp.com

Trending Topics

Old 05-11-2004, 12:47 AM
Pro Rider

This will be my 2nd year up there riding. We have a huntingcabin north of Mercer on trail 8 or "Kramer Lake Road",
But my wife and I are staying at a nice resort cabin with my friend and his wife. I know most of the trails around
Mercer pretty well. The most fun I've ever had riding atv was on trail 6-north of hwy 77, and east of Hurly Wi. We
takled that trail for the first time on labor day weekend last year. Took us 4 hours to go the som 18 or 20 miles!!
Just an awesome trail! Has mud (most places you can go around if you like) lots of rocks, hills, and goes high
up into the range.... just awesom!!! was even fun on snowmobile last winter! If you go to www.ironcountywi.com
youll see that trails 6 and 8 are still not open, but should be by then. We'd love to hook up as a group with other
riders if interested! It's just a lot more fun with more people. Hopefully it isn't too dry-can be very dusty on
some trails so be sure to bring something to cover your face so you don't have to scrape the dirt out of your
teeth! email me at Dano38Mc@hotmail.com if interested in riding togather or with questions. Dan

Old 05-11-2004, 01:18 PM
Weekend Warrior

Fruitjacket and Dano I sent you both emails.

Im trying to figure out right now what to pack as emergency supplies. Like for flat tires and things of that nature. Anyone wanna give me a couple of ideas?

Thanks ahead of time

Old 05-11-2004, 08:17 PM
Pro Rider

I rode trail #8 south of Hurley last weekend. Didn't look closed to me. Rode it on a sport bike.. was about the only trail worth riding.. the rest seemed flat and straight.. like riding down a road.

I also mistakenly rode the snowmobile trails from Ironwood to Bergland which were trackless in most locations and much more challenging.. About 4 miles south of Bergland the trail was washed out.. had about a 3 foot gap and 8 foot drop down to the creek. The side of the creeks were not crossable. Ended up getting a 6' by 10" diameter log and layed it across. Then we centered our quads and slid them across the gap by allowing the skid plates to slide the length of the log. In addition we found much better mud challenges and both of us got stuck at least 6 times.. The musk-keg and water went over my knees while freeing our quads.. again and again.. Note::we did have sport bikes so the challenging was significant increased.
We also rode the pipeline snowmobile trail and some geat logging roads recently cut. We never knew that we were riding in a closed area until we got to Berglund for re-fueling. The signage in both Hurley and Ironwood could use some improvements!!

Quick Reply: HURLEY, WI - MEMORIAL POKER RUN