Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

County Roads vs Highway

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2004, 05:50 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default County Roads vs Highway

of course most states will not allow you to drive on gravel roads or the highway, yet I see and hear of it all the time. I am concerned about legalities of driving my quad on gravel roads. How much potential trouble could one get into, * I live in Missouri*. I live out in rural country areas, but consider the possibility that a neighbor or resident could call the law. What do you think they would do if they caught you? Ticket? IMpoud?

I mean, most of us could easily outrun a cop that is in a car if we are on a quad, but lets say we choose not to run. If anyone has advise/information on any of this please let me know.

I have also researched about permits that make it legal to drive on county roads *gravel* and the info i found from 2002 stated that my county did not allow permits for the roads, yet a lot of others did.

I am worried about this issue, because there are many many many miles of rural gravel roads that I have & can ride on and want to be informed as much as possible!

Old 06-15-2004, 06:57 PM
Range Rover

Hello SEMO, good to have you to the forums. I'm not sure which county you are in, but most of MO allows atv's to be legal on county roads as long as you have a county permit and your atv has a slow moving vehicle triangle on it mounted so high above the ground. Not all do, but most do, so check into yours and the neighboring counties to see. As fas as doing it illegally, I wouldn't try it, not only for the ticket or what ever the county you do it in does to you, but for the repercussions it will have on all of us. Right now, in Mo, they are looking into opening up much more of the National forest to ohv use, from what I understand it wil be up to 10 times as much land as there is now open in the next few years, but it is the state government that is supposedly holding it up as they don't want it. Get a few more Deputies or city cops pissed off by riding on the roads illegally and then we can all forget about it. Ride nice and be courteous and noone really thinks or worries about you, ride illegally and do omething wrong and 5 people get pissed and complain, then all suffer. Just a word of thought as I have seen it go from being able to ride my old dirtbike almost anywhere when I grew up, to having only a couple areas to ride within 2 hours. Be safe and have fun

Old 06-15-2004, 07:04 PM
Pro Rider

I have done a lot of searches online and the best information I could come up with is that my county does not do the permits. I found a list that stated a bunch of counties and if they offered permits. It was updated in 2003. Any idea where to find amore recent source? BTW the county = Bollinger County if anyone has a better way to find out exactly. Maybe they will let people get them but dont advertise?!?!

As I said there is a large amount of gravel roads and I hate the idea of living on a gravel road and not being able to legally ride my quad.

Old 06-15-2004, 08:53 PM
Range Rover

Did you call the county courthouse? Or talk to a nicer deputy? That is what i would do.

Old 06-16-2004, 04:32 PM
Pro Rider

I am gonna have to talk to someone . ^ I just hate the idea of having my bike impounded.

Old 06-17-2004, 03:18 PM
Pro Rider

People keep telling me to ride on the county roads anyway. They say to ride with the flag and orange triangle w/ helmet & if i dont drive like an idiot that I shouldnt get into any real trouble. Anyone agree/disagree? More input needed [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 06-17-2004, 04:08 PM
Range Rover

Once again, talk to a nice deputy and see what he or she says. I used to live in Rural IL, and it was illegal to ride on the roads and such there, but the deputy that patrolled the area I ride in and had to cross the roads a few times to ride in, said as long as I am careful and don't crack a smile he wouldn't do anything. He also told me to make sure noone else saw me otherwise all the kids would be doing it. When he retired though, his young and gung ho replacement tried to give me a ticket for riding on my own property, he kept arguing that it was not my property. So it depends on the officer that patrols the area and how you are with them too, being around LEO's all the time I can tell you that half of it is your attitude, and of course the offense you did.