Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Southern Minnesota ATV Trails to Grow

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2004, 09:01 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Southern Minnesota ATV Trails to Grow

(taken from June 23, 2004 Faribault Daily News)

ATV trail to grow
By Pauline Schreiber
Daily News Staff Writer

FARIBAULT -- An expansion plan for Rice County's public ATV trail, developed by a local club, received the approval of the Rice County Board of Commissioners Tuesday.

A $38,731 trail assistance grant from the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources (DNR) was accepted by Rice County on behalf of the Tri-County ATV Club, the organization which has built and operates a public ATV trail at County Road 75 and Cabot Avenue.

"We have purchased 15 acres of land that joins our existing ATV park," said Joan Trahan, trail administrator for the Tri-County ATV Club. "It is located west of the landfill on CR 75. Most of the site was an old gravel pit. About 10 acres of the site will become part of our ATV trail."

The plan includes fencing between the ATV park and the landfill to the east and the DeGroot salvage yard to the south, she explained.

Rice County Commissioner Jim Brown said there is a perception thta the trail will be private. Trahan said the ATV park and its trail system is open to the public as is a requirement for receiving DNR trail assistance funds.

"The trail system is open 8 a.m. to sunset, seven days a week," Trahan said. "Riders are required to wear a helmet and the ATV they ride on the trails must be licensed and registered."

The Tri-County ATV Club also welcomes new members to join the organization. The focus of club members is maintaining the ATV park, which entails monitoring the park and cleaning and maintaining trails.

"We don't monitor the park continuously," she said. "However, members do routinely monitor trails. It is a public trail system."

County Board Chairman Don Olson said he thought it was a good use for the land.

"I think it's a wonderful project," he said. "It will clean up an old gravel pit and make good use of it by providing a place where ATV riders can go to use their machines."

Trahan and her family will be using five acres of the additional 15-acre site as a building site. They plan to move a home onto those five acres and live next to the ATV park.

Old 06-28-2004, 10:04 AM
Range Rover

Okay.... Let me get this straight......

First, the club received a check for $38,731 from the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources. Right? This was for the purchase of 15 acres of land..... For the "ATV trail" system.... Then we hear, "Trahan and her family will be using five acres of the additional 15-acre site as a building site. They plan to move a home onto those five acres and live next to the ATV park." So of the 15 acres purchased, only 2/3 of the property goes for it's intended purpose and the rest goes to a private party?

WHAT THE ....?!!!

I don't know..... Maybe I'm missing something here.... But doesn't it sound like the DNR money, our tax dollars, just payed for Joan Trahan's home site? Don't get me wrong.... I think it's great that Tri-County is adding on. And I'm not trying to open a can of worms that may not need to be opened. But being a Minnesota tax payer..... Joan, if you're out there... could you please tell me what the $38,731 is being used for? Also, is this additional 15 acres considered "grant-in-aid" land?

I believe a few more details are in order.....

Old 06-28-2004, 11:05 AM
Pro Rider

"I think it's a wonderful project," he said. "It will clean up an old gravel pit and make good use of it by providing a place where ATV riders can go to use their machines."
Since this commissioner loves the idea of cleaning up old gravel pits, how about he talk to the other commissioner, Milt Plaisance, and the Rice County Sheriff's Department, to clean up Bauer's pit too? I can't help but see the irony with getting rid of 110 acres of riding land quietly, just to announce in the paper about 15 acres of new ATV land. I think a Letter to the Editor is in order, who wants to write it? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

That was my initial thought anyways...

I commend Ray and Joan for getting this additional land, as they are at least trying to get something going down here. I talked with Ray on the phone last year about the ATV Park and he seemed like a very nice guy. I do have to make the observation that it always seems like the Trahan's are straddling the fence. I hear good news like this, and then I see a picture of Ray and a few Sheriff's Deputies on the front page of the paper reminding everyone that the ditches are off limits to all riders. Always seems to swing back and forth.

Then again, he's probably playing the small town politics. It's about the only way things get done around here...

Old 06-28-2004, 11:08 AM
Pro Rider

Let me try to clarify this a little.

First of all, Trahans purchased the property as a private party. They received the money as a lease agreement with the MN DNR for the 10 acres they will add to their existing property. Keep in mind the Tri-County Pit is owned by Trahan's. It is a GIA (Grant-in-Aid) because the DNR is paying them a lease to keep it open to the public.

This is the route that may be the most beneficial to Bauer's Pit also. If I remember the numbers correctly, the DNR will pay up to 8% of the assessed taxable value of the property for a lease. Whether that is on an annual basis, I'm not sure.

Old 06-28-2004, 11:12 AM
Pro Rider

Thanks for the clarification, Dave.

Sorry I couldn't meet you out at Bauer's on Saturday by the way. Sounds like you guys had an interesting time!

When's the next SMNATVR meeting? Sounds like there's a lot to discuss. Any luck/word back on anything Bauer's related?

Old 06-28-2004, 12:22 PM
Range Rover

Hey Dave....

Thanks for the additional info.... BTW... It was great meeting you the other day down at Bauer's!! It's fun to put a face to the name, ya know.

To explain my original post... I have not been to Tri-County, nor do I know the folks that own it. Or any details behind any dealing with the DNR or whoever. So to say my comments were uninformed is an understatement. Sorry if I ruffled any feathers. I assure you, I was NOT trying to cause any bad feelings in any way. I was just wondering.... that's all. I think I need more than one cup of REAL coffee before jumping on-line... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Anyway.... I'm glad the local powers see the need for more recreational land in the area. Maybe Bauer's will see the same form of kindness....

Again, I apologize to Ray and Joan for any bad feelings I may have caused...

Old 06-28-2004, 02:07 PM
Pro Rider

Mossehunter,

no hard feelings were taken. The GIA program can be a tough one to understand. When it comes to things like this, it's nice to have clarification when it involves our tax dollars and registration fees.

Klier,

our next meeting is scheduled for 7 p.m. July 13th (Tuesday) at the bar in Lexington. I hope to have some good info to bring after my "field trip" on the 12th.

I hope to get a group ride together for the club members sometime this summer. Not sure on a location. We'll have to decide on a location at one of the meetings.

Old 09-04-2005, 03:51 PM
Weekend Warrior

I WENT TO BAUER'S PIT ON SATURDAY AND IT WAS CLOSED DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY INFORMATION ON THIS?