Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

NJ to Delaware Water Gap Along Train Tracks ??????

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2006 | 09:26 AM
Pro Rider
Default NJ to Delaware Water Gap Along Train Tracks ??????

Originally posted by: kurtstanwick
I know i have ridden them thru Landing and across Howard Blvd. We made it all the way to mine hill and you could look down and see part of the rockaway mall. Of course you are riding on a bed that is still being used. We have also ridden to "Oxford run" tracks that continue out towards Pa. Pretty much stops at the Oxford Tunnel. It is flooded but you can still go thru it. then you have to ride thru backyards, along 46 and you wind up back out to the Cuttoff again. Of course this was 15, 20 years back. I don't know how much of that is still being used.

Kurt
Where is Oxford Tunnel? I would probably be starting in Stanhope where the road crosses over the tracks and heads west. Just wondering how far I can get.

Old 11-29-2006 | 09:49 AM
Weekend Warrior

the Oxford tunnel is in Oxford....Warren county. If you are going to start out in stanhope...I would probably go from the old sand pits behind the trade zone.I don't think you can do this with a quad. One of the drawbacks of a quad. the tracks are being used by trains. you have to go over a tight bridge along waterloo road. then you would go thru hackesttstown. the train stops running there. I think the tracks are picked up at that point. the bed continues but some of the tunnels and bridges have been removed. I am pretty sure you have to get off and on again in washington by rt 31. I filled up gas right there where 57 and 31 meet. Oxford tunnel is a bit further down. You can't see light at the other end. the tunnel has a bend in it. I'm guessing it is about a half mile long....and the entrance has water but it gets much deeper at the other end. my bike stopped running about 3/4 way thru and had to walk it out waist high in water. my one buddymade it all the way thru but lost his clutch. My suggestion, if you are going to do this run would be to try and follow it first with google earth. then i would actually drive with my car and look to see what obstacles you might hit.

Old 11-29-2006 | 10:54 AM
Pro Rider
Lets Ride!

Holly Crap!

This thread is bringing me back.....

I grew up hanging around those tracks in Landing...... we all rode the rails between Netcong and Landing for years before they reconstructed them and started parking trains there..... The trails behind the old "Grand Union" (now Pathmark I think) shopping center were filled with tons of riders every weekend back in the days of 2-stroke dominance.......

Of course now living in upstate NY I have quite a bit more space to ride.............

Old 11-29-2006 | 08:12 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: ss97
Holly Crap!

This thread is bringing me back.....

I grew up hanging around those tracks in Landing...... we all rode the rails between Netcong and Landing for years before they reconstructed them and started parking trains there..... The trails behind the old "Grand Union" (now Pathmark I think) shopping center were filled with tons of riders every weekend back in the days of 2-stroke dominance.......

Of course now living in upstate NY I have quite a bit more space to ride.............
Wow that is really random. I grew up in Hopatcong but never had a quad or a bike in those days. Where are you from originally from?

Old 12-01-2006 | 06:03 PM
Pro Rider
Lets Ride!

I grew up in Hopatcong but moved to Roxbury when I was 13.........

I was a "Track Rat" as they used to call the kids who were always hanging around the tracks in Landing riding and generally causing havoc of some kind..... this is going back to the mid-80s when the 4-wheelers were just starting to get popular.....

We used to ride bikes and quads all over that place.... then when we were done we went and took over the Grand Union parking lot with our BMX bikes and skateboards......... the cops just LOVED us.....

Where in Hopatcong did you live and when?

Old 12-01-2006 | 06:13 PM
Weekend Warrior

I live right off the tracks on the hopatcong/roxbury/stanhope boarder. 2 weeks ago a bunch of trees just east of Sparta-Stanhope one lane bridge were cut down and the track are blocked off at this time. You can get around the trees if you take a trail up the hill onto sparta-stanhope road and ride down road to the paved hiking path for about 1/2 mile. When I get some free time I am going to bring my chain saw back there and open the trail again.

Old 12-01-2006 | 06:26 PM
Weekend Warrior

what they are going to be doing is making a new bridge vs the one lane bridge. eventually there will be a road thru to Acorn St in byram....alleviating alot of traffic thru brooklyn rd.