Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

NJ to Delaware Water Gap Along Train Tracks ??????

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2004 | 08:22 PM
|
Trailblazer
Default NJ to Delaware Water Gap Along Train Tracks ??????

I hear there is a trail that runs along old railroad tracks that takes you to the Delaware water gap?

I have seen people right near the gap riding on the sholder of 80, but i want to know where these rail road traks let you out and can someoen in a car meet you there? We want to ride out there and have the wives meet us, but want to know where they shoudl be going... or where we will end up?

any suggestions or info would be great.
thanks'

Old 04-21-2005 | 01:08 AM
Weekend Warrior

The railbed starts in Hopatcong NJ and runs to Mt.Bethel PA. The trail lets you out on Slateford Road in Mt Bethel PA. Slatefor rd is off of RT611. Once you cross rt80 and the del river on the huge old rail bridge hang a left and follow the trail down the hill and that is slateford road. If you cross the road and hang a left onto the live rail bed it will take you to a small whitetrash bar in less then a mile, or if you follow the rail bed to the south it will bring you into Portland PA where you can refuel and if you pass the town to the live rail bridge you can jump off of it into the river.

Old 04-21-2005 | 05:23 PM
|
Trailblazer

thanks for the reply.
now with the weather getting nice, thta should make for a good ride.

Old 11-24-2006 | 08:33 AM
Weekend Warrior

This railbed is called the lackawana cutoff. amazing piece of history actually. Started from both ends and met in the middle. this rail bed i believe has 0 grade(its level). back in 1909, pretty amazing. I rode that bed even before they pulled up the tracks in 78/79. Now as an FYI the staties ride this to ticket people. There is a fence over in green so you can't ride across the road. I haven't been on it since probably 96. I don't know the current status of people riding it still. Love to hear if anyone has been riding it lately. Just got my son a 50m and i now have a recon. different than the old dirt bike days. but alot of fun.

Kurt

Old 11-24-2006 | 04:58 PM
Weekend Warrior

This link will give you the entire history
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lackawanna_Cut-Off

PS: The NJSP do not patrol this.

Old 11-24-2006 | 06:46 PM
Weekend Warrior

Great read on the cut off. my old stompin grounds and still are. love to see the history captured. I assume that the rangers patrol it if the staties don't ...i understand that someone does. I'm curious if people are still riding it.

Kurt

Old 11-24-2006 | 10:31 PM
DS2
Range Rover

Wow, I haven't ridden that in YEARS! I didn't know it was still being used, as LEO was patroling it 20 years ago.

Old 11-25-2006 | 05:18 AM
Pro Rider

Wow I grew up in Hopatcong right near this and had no idea about how far it went until I saw this thread. I am sitting about half a mile from those tracks right now.

Old 11-25-2006 | 09:51 AM
Weekend Warrior

I know i have ridden them thru Landing and across Howard Blvd. We made it all the way to mine hill and you could look down and see part of the rockaway mall. Of course you are riding on a bed that is still being used. We have also ridden to "Oxford run" tracks that continue out towards Pa. Pretty much stops at the Oxford Tunnel. It is flooded but you can still go thru it. then you have to ride thru backyards, along 46 and you wind up back out to the Cuttoff again. Of course this was 15, 20 years back. I don't know how much of that is still being used.

Kurt

Old 11-29-2006 | 01:12 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Jefh23
This link will give you the entire history
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lackawanna_Cut-Off

PS: The NJSP do not patrol this.

im in union count nj. where do you ride at? send me a private message

Quick Reply: NJ to Delaware Water Gap Along Train Tracks ??????