Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Iron River, WI vs Park Falls, WI

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2000, 03:53 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anybody have the schedule of events for this rally?

Old 09-06-2000, 12:33 PM
Pro Rider

In Park Falls, Wisconsin a poker run is a place where quads from all over the state gather to be arrested and harassed by the DNR, State Patrol, Sheriff and the U.S. Forest Service. Over the Labor Day Weekend it was not unusual to have your vehicle registration checked three times a day.

People who got lost and drove off of the trail were fined $200 by the U.S. Forest Service.

If gravel sprayed from your tires rounding a corner you were fined. $200 The rally activity took place 38 miles from the town it was advertised in. So the local authorites set up check-points (roadblocks) along the trail and hid in the bushes along the way.

The name of the rally should be changed to "The Gauntlet" instead of Wisconsin All Terrain Vehicle Association Rally.

No wonder there was no response to this thread, everybody else had been there before and been burned.

It was amazing to see the number of people leaving town Sunday Noon.

Old 09-08-2000, 08:06 AM
Range Rover

Thor,

Sorry to hear about that. Following is a link to the WATVA, please forward your bad expereience to them and see what you get.

http://www.watva.org

Old 09-08-2000, 03:10 PM
Pro Rider

Another dissatisfied club.

1 . "Park Falls Poker Run"
Posted by Randy on Sep-05-00 at 01:48 PM (EST)
at WWW.WATVA.ORG
First I would like to say that I was impressed with the displays that were set up at the hockey rink.
Also the pancake breakfast was awesome!GOOD JOB!!! But I was not very happy with the poker run
this year.#1 Why did it change so we couldnt register at the same places as last year? #2 Why were
local businesses forced into joining the Park Falls Chamber of Commerce in order to be involved in the
poker run? Alot of members of our club were at last years poker run and this years also. We met alot
of people there that we were looking foreward to seeing again this year,but didn't see them all
because they were not included
in the poker run because they refuse to join the chamber of commerce. I have discussed it with my
club members and friends,and we will not be going to the run next year if the businesses are still
required to join the chamber of commerce. We have decided to go to Park Falls on a different
weekend
and ride. Last year we had 17 people in our group this year we had 15 people in our group. I think that
losing 15-17 people is a big loss for the run and we are not the only group that has made this
decision. One other thing on the run,the pay back for the run was terrible 1stplace$100 2nd place$75
and 3rd place $50 . We pay back 75% on our clubs poker run and have never gave out as small
ammount as that.

Thank You For Your Time

RANDY WILKINSON

Old 09-09-2000, 02:39 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thor,
I read your comment on the Park Falls Rally, Myself and my family went to Park Falls that weekend and drove over 200 miles of trails on both Sat and Sun. None of us were stopped by the Forest Sevice, Sheriff, or any authority. I did see a couple of wardens driving down the road while we had our ATV's parked along side the road and they didn't stop or approach us in any way. I guess I am not sure why you are disturbed if someone is fined for driving off the trail system, it is clearly marked, and there are signs warning you to stay on the trail. When you bring over a thousand ATV's to a small area like Park Falls I believe you need some type of enforcement. We all need to respect the trail system,so we have trails for our kids to ride on in the future. I cannot comment on the Poker Run because I did not enter. I can say that I was impressed by the trails ,enjoyed the people of Park Falls and definetly will be returning next year.

Old 09-10-2000, 03:52 PM
Pro Rider

>>>>>I guess I am not sure why you are disturbed if someone is fined for driving off the trail system, it is clearly marked, and there are signs warning you to stay on the trail.<<<<<

The trails are not clearly marked. If you are not familiar with the area. The entrance to trail #107 from County Rd. 144 trail #107 is not clearly marked and is an obvious trap for out of towners. If it was so clearly marked why whould the Forestry Service post there on Saturday, Sunday and Monday? Because they knew it was an obvious trap. Also, since the Forestry Service had not cleared trail #104 they knew that everybody had to come past their post at least once.

There was no reasoning with the Forestry Service if you happened to stray. Wham an instant $200 fine.

BTW regarding trail markings the no ATV sign is the Third sign on the post, below the 35MPH sign and the picture of the snowmobile. The third sign down and less than 1/3 the size of the top sign.

Not exactly easy to read at night in the rain.

Nice try Hydroman. Do you work locally at a hydroelectric plant in the area?

How could you put on 200 miles and not see the U.S. Forestry service checking registrations at the beginning of trail 111 east of Park Falls? Perhaps you have been there and stayed in the resort area over near the Idle Hour Resort and never went into Park Falls. They were there Saturday, Sunday and Monday until 11:30 AM

The Forestry Service and the Sheriff posted the intersection of 144 and 107 checking registrations all day Sunday. Didn't you go to the ATV Challenge or the Pike Township Hog-roast?

No offense hydroman but I believe that you are either naieve or have never been given a "kangaroo ticket" by an officer with an attitude. In either case good for you, you are a lucky man.

If you are happy with the Park Falls Area and the enforcement policies of the U.S. Forestry Service please feel free to Vote for Al Gore this November. Mr. Gore will bring us more of these "clearly marked trails" and may even put forth a bill to keep us out of the National Forests altogether, thereby eliminating this problem.

Old 09-11-2000, 03:06 PM
Pro Rider

Honestly everyone are things really that bad around Iron River??? I only ask cause my family and I were thinking of taking a vacation up there and yah know if things really are THAT bad I think I may re-consider. But I dont think we are going during a LARGE traffic time like labor day weekend. (I can understand why they'd crack down on holidays and stuff like that) Just curious and please be honest cause if the road signs and stuff are HARD to see I dont wanna leave the place with $800 in tickets and a sour attitude towards riding there again......just curious

Old 09-11-2000, 04:09 PM
Pro Rider

No, things are not bad around Iron River,
Wi. or Hurley, Wisconsin. I have been to Bayfield/Ashland Counties numerous times and love it.

The thread wavered a bit. The unfortunate Labor Day atv harassment took place just east of Park Falls, WI inside of the Chequamegon National Forest.

Price County has a reputation within Wisconsin for harboring less than a desirable law enforcement attitude.

Why just this summer an officer of the U.S. Forest Service arrested a Professional Photographer in Price County for taking a picture of a covered bridge, because his car was allegedly in a no parking zone. This should give you some idea of the area.

Here are some excerpts from the local newspaper. The complete article can be read by cutting and pasting the following link into your browser.

HARDEN SAID THE FOREST SERVICE, AS WELL AS THE PRICE COUNTY SHERIFF'S DEPARTMENT AND PARK FALLS POLICE DEPARTMENT, COMPLIED wITH THE ASSOCIATION'S REQUEST FOR MORE LAW ENFORCEMENT DURING THE FOUR DAYS.

Dietzel said that due to problems with getting enough law enforcement in past years, the Pike Lake Fire Department now spends $500 to hire off-duty deputies for enforcement on Forest Road 144 on Sunday, the day of the department's "Fun Day" event held in conjunction with the ATV
rally.

He said that in cooperation with on-duty officers, the deputies kept traffic slowed down, provided trail directions for ATV riders and, when necessary, issued warnings. As a result, there were no problems on Forest Road 144 during the event, he said. Dietzel said he was unaware
of any deputies issuing citations,

But a number of citations were issued by forest service law enforcement officers, resulting in discussions among some of the atv riders about the fairness of the citations.

He said atv riders discussed several cases in which forest service law enforcement officers issued citations, including;

One case of two volunteer atv safety patrol members being ticketed after they left the trail to inform two other atv riders that they were off the trail. Dietzel said all four were ticketed as they returned to the trail.

According to Harden, the number of citations issued was not disproportionate to the number of people attending the rally. He said also that none of the safety patrol members assigned by the association reported receiving tickets.

Although Forest Service compliance officer Dave Schultz informed him in a conference after the event that he had issued citations to two ATV riders wearing orange vests...

Dietzel said the other cases of ATV riders getting tickets that the rally participants were discussing after riding the trails included one member of a six-member group being issued a ticket for an allegedly vague reason, and all six members of a family getting tickets after mistakenly leaving the trail.

He said in the first case, a Forest Service officer was standing in the trail as members of the group came around a corner, and the last member of the group was stopped and ticketed for allegedly driving in an unresponsible manner. (GRAVEL SPRAY FROM REAR TIRES)

Dietzel said in the second case, the group included a man and woman about 65 years of age and their grown children. He said they were returning to the trail single file alongside a road when they were all ticketed.

http://www.parkfallswi.com/placed/st...000herald.html

Old 09-11-2000, 04:27 PM
Pro Rider

I just got back from a ride at Iron River this past weekend. It was great. We rode around 150 miles on Saturday. The view from old baldy was great......

Old 09-19-2000, 01:43 AM
Weekend Warrior

I guess I hit a nerve!! Been out of town for past couple weeks, finally got a chance to respond. Yes, I did stay east of Park Falls on Boot Lake. Did not drive the trails to Park Falls, but did go to Moose Jaw a couple of times and was never stopped at any checkpoint.(Not saying there wasn't any) Also, rode trails 111,107,101,121,102,103 and part of 104 with no sign of Forestry or Sheriff. I admit we did get screwed up on trail 103 near Wintergreen Lake and drove on a NO ATV trail until we noticed and turned around. If I would have been ticketed for that I would have felt it was not fair. But lets be realistic, To think all law enforcement is fair (Now who's living in a dream world)I also took a chance and drove the shoulder of HWY 182 for 8 miles. Now if I would have been fined, well I did the crime. Also, came across a couple riders that should have been fined, they came around a blind corner at a high rate of speed and ran us off the trail. To think you can bring over 1,000 ATV's to a small community and have no problems is ridiculous.All I am trying to say is WI has a great trail system with fantastic communities that open their doors for us. And it is not fair to label the whole rally as a rip-off. You are always going to find some jerk law enforcement. I have family members that are cops and they are the first to admit that some of their colleagues are no good. But for the majority they are good people, just doing their job. Your comment puts doubt in peoples minds(Like Fox Runner) that this is a bad area to vacation, not true.Well I said enough, I am planning on returning to Park Falls next year. And hope others consider the same. And oh yes my Presidential choice is "BUSH".

Quick Reply: Iron River, WI vs Park Falls, WI