Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Hatfield-McCoy Trail

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2004, 06:48 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hatfield-McCoy Trail

I was wondering if any one could give me any information on the HM trails. My buddies were talking about checking it out one of these weekends. I have been to there web page and saw alot of motor lodges and cabins, but not very many campgrounds. We will be traveling from Northern Ohio (litteraly right on the lake) and heading down. It looks like the Waterways Trailhead is the Northern Most of the bunch. Where are some places to stay there? Is is possible (like Wayne National Forest) to just stay at a trail head? I have a trailer that we stay in and it would be nice not to have to pay for a camp site. Expecially since everything that I have is self contained. The only thing we would need is a toilet. Everyting else is on the trailer. What do you need as far as passes go? Ohio Requires a registration sticker and a trail permit. I am assuming that WV is the same, but Michigan you have to have a permit, registration and a vehical permit.

Old 09-18-2004, 07:02 PM
Pro Rider

hey you may not stay at the parking lot for the trail heads!!! waterways is a very easy trail system rockhouse trial head is my favorite more mud and more different trails and if u go to rockhouse you can go to a rv site on the top of the mountian right of the main trail system rv site is Twin Hollow Campground & Cabins

Old 09-18-2004, 09:05 PM
Range Rover

Duke, how much is it? Were just a bunch off poor college kids [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]. We are trying like hell just to scrape up the cash to make the trip down there. We keep hearing nothing but good things about the trail system down there, so we have to make the trip. It just has to be as cheep as possible. We will all be riding modified sport quads. We are the bread that you probly hate running into on the trail. The couple or three guys who refuse to slow down for anything. Riding flat out on full bore. Mud is okay, and techinal stuff is good too, but I want to be able to run my machine just as fast as she can go. What trail system would you say is best for that? The more north they are the better, but I don't want to get down there and be on the kiddy trails where I am going to be stuck behind a family of four with there 2, six year old kids. Don't get me wrong, we are not jerks, we do pay attention and try not to cause any problems, and when the trails are nearing capasity, we go slow and watch for people. We just have that need for speed I guess [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 09-19-2004, 11:49 AM
Pro Rider

unfortanitly therer all good waterways the most northern one is ther easyest trails system they even state this soo i owuld tend to say your going to run into familys there. i got to rockyhouse and i have a raptor trail12 there is a old mining road and big trail [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] lol i am the same rider as you most trials are 2to 3 gear on the rap but there are some 1gear rocky hill climbs. mabye 1 per trail. i barley ran into ppl on this trail head soo mabye you will like it. i rode waterways there was familys and ti was jsut like dirt road i could fly but ti was almost boring if you get my drift. i believe bear wallow was rocky and o have not yet been to the new trail system. good lucky its pprobly in the nieghborhood of 60 to 80 bucks to stAY a night that was most places are like you can get a little cabin that fits 8 for like 60 plus 5 dollars for ever person over 3 ppl

Old 09-19-2004, 11:50 AM
Pro Rider

you could if you want go to ever system liek for 1 day then just get on the highway and pullinto the rest stops and sleep there me and my dad did that we sleep on the like mcds parking lot on the rest stop on the wqay down

Old 09-19-2004, 01:11 PM
Range Rover

I know you can ride pretty wide open on the Waterways and Castle Rock Trails. Camping is near Waterways and Castle Rock. There is a state park near Castle Rock that has cheap camping I think, but can't remember the name of it.

Both of them are really fun. I like both for different reasons. But that's HM, every trail has something different to offer. I like all of these for different reasons. You'll probably want to ride all of them over time.

Old 09-19-2004, 01:22 PM
Super Quad Patrol
Smokes meat all the time!

Originally posted by: OutRacing
I was wondering if any one could give me any information on the HM trails. My buddies were talking about checking it out one of these weekends. I have been to there web page and saw alot of motor lodges and cabins, but not very many campgrounds. We will be traveling from Northern Ohio (litteraly right on the lake) and heading down. It looks like the Waterways Trailhead is the Northern Most of the bunch. Where are some places to stay there? Is is possible (like Wayne National Forest) to just stay at a trail head? I have a trailer that we stay in and it would be nice not to have to pay for a camp site. Expecially since everything that I have is self contained. The only thing we would need is a toilet. Everyting else is on the trailer. What do you need as far as passes go? Ohio Requires a registration sticker and a trail permit. I am assuming that WV is the same, but Michigan you have to have a permit, registration and a vehical permit.
also, do they rent quads there?

Old 09-19-2004, 03:05 PM
Pro Rider

are these trails open year around?

Old 09-19-2004, 04:48 PM
Weekend Warrior

All 5 of the Hatfield~McCoy Trail systems are open year round. Pinnacle Creek Trail was really easy for me but that's a good thing since I crushed my L2. The blue trails are easier than the green trails on Browning Fork Trail. The park at Pinnacle Creek/Castle Rock Trailhead is Twin Falls State Park. Nice camping area but you would have to trailer to the trailhead. I love having 100+ miles of easy to extreme riding in my back yard. The Browning Fork/Rockhouse Trail is one of the favorites of most riders.

Their are several places to rent quads. You can view their websites on H/M webpage.

Hope to see ya on the trail.

650Kawgirl
Hatfield~McCoy Trail Rider

Old 09-19-2004, 06:26 PM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: 650Kawgirl
Hope to see ya on the trail.
Kawgirl, why don't you put up some pictures of you and your machine so we know who to look for?

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Hatfield-McCoy Trail