Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Pipestone, Whitehall Montana

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2004, 01:00 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pipestone, Whitehall Montana

Anybody ever ride in this area. I'm headed ther on the 24th to go riding. Any tips or good trails would be appreciated.

Old 10-20-2004, 12:50 AM
Pro Rider
Default Pipestone, Whitehall Montana

Bump

Old 05-24-2018, 07:57 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default How was your time riding in Pipestone?

Hey, sorry to see this thread didn't get much response. I have recently been directed to Pipestone for ATV riding in Montana and am also wondering about recommended trails or other tips to make a first-timers visit more enjoyable. I did discover several hot springs located within 1 hours drive that might make a decent place to stay for the night and soak after a long day of riding. Cheers

Old 05-24-2018, 12:56 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

He hasn't posted on the forum in 13 years. I doubt he's still around.

Old 03-30-2019, 12:58 AM
Range Rover
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Pipeston

Bummer I didnt see this thread until now, great place to ride. Has a phenomenon of a landmark called ringing rocks. There are only 3 places like it in the world. One here in south west Montana, one in Pennsylvania, and one in Austrailia. Lots of cool trails to ride with different landscape. Definitely worth the drive and time spent to check it out.

Old 03-30-2019, 03:31 PM
THE BERMINATOR
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just watched several videos with ringing rocks. Some of them make a really nice tone. People make musical instruments called lithophones from rocks too, and they don't need to be ringing rocks. Here's one made with the state stone of Michigan, the Petosky stone.

Old 03-30-2019, 10:05 PM
Range Rover

That's pretty cool. The interesting thing about those rocks at the ringing rocks site is if any part of them gets broken off of the original rock it won't ring, people have tried to take some of the rocks to put in their yards and they won't work once they are removed from the pile or site.

Old 03-30-2019, 11:17 PM
THE BERMINATOR

In one of the videos a guy said the ringing rocks had some kind of hollow tubes in them. If that's right and you broke off a piece it probably wouldn't have that in it. Besides rocks you can play stalactites. They have an organ made of them in Virginia. I'd like to see that some day and also play around with the ringing rocks.

Old 03-30-2019, 11:36 PM
Range Rover

No tubes in these rocks, they are solid. There are broken pieces all over the place and none of them ring, weird deal. those are cool videos. thanks for sharing

Old 03-31-2019, 06:47 PM
THE BERMINATOR

You're welcome. Those are magic rocks. That's the only explanation. When I was looking for videos of ringing rocks I found some with lithophones like this one in Vietnam. That cave organ basically does electrically what she's doing here by hand.

Quick Reply: Pipestone, Whitehall Montana