Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Some Pismo/Oceano Advice Please

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2004 | 12:03 PM
|
Trailblazer
Default Some Pismo/Oceano Advice Please

Hello,

We are planning on going to Pismo/Oceano on the Saturday the 13th. I've never been.
Where should we go to unload the ATV's, what fees do we need to pay (if any), and what are the hours that we are allowed to ride?

Thanks!

Old 11-04-2004 | 07:30 PM
Pro Rider

There is some moderately bad news for ya. High tide is at 929 AM and 6.7 ft high that day, which means that you will have to get on the beach and park off the tide line by about 7 in the morning or after maybe 1200 noon or you could get swamped by the high tide.

Have you ever been to Pismo Beach? When the tide is high the drivable part of the beach is very narrow, and usually rookies can be seen parked in the only drivable part of the beach... blocking the path for everybody else....

Entry and day use parking is like 5 or 6 buck for all day from sunup to sunset,, After you enter the beach area from either of the two entrances, turn left and drive down the beach about a mile and after you cross the "creek" (can be a seperate adventure depending on the season), you will come to some signs that say you can park and ride anywhere south of the sign. But usually there will be a bunch of ATV rental business set up their camps right there, keep driving and when you get to the wide part of the sand, park anywhere off the tide line....

I just added a picture to my profile of Pismo. SO when the Page gets approved you can view my bio for the pics...

Old 11-04-2004 | 08:16 PM
|
Trailblazer

Thanks for the advice!

No, I've never been there, so it's good to hear from someone who has.

When you enter town, where do you go to pay/enter, can you give me some rough directions?

I am coming from the south and would arrive around noon, so I should be fine, right? Will the creek be too much of a problem? I have a 4x4 Expedition and trailer...

Sounds like fun...

Old 11-04-2004 | 09:16 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!

Hi Gus!

I would suggest that you do an advanced search, both in here and the Dunes forum. You will probably find answers to all your questions, and more. Look those over, and then if you still have questions, post them and we will try to answer them. Do you have a toy hauler trailer? Staying in tents? In town???

Wayne

Old 11-04-2004 | 09:42 PM
|
Trailblazer

Okay,

Did an advanced search, and I did find directions, but I was also wondering, what are the hours of operation? Can you ride after dark? Can you build a bonfire anywhere, or just in fire rings?

We're staying at a hotel outside of town, so that won't be a problem...

Thanks!

Old 11-05-2004 | 01:00 AM
Air Cooled Rider
Future Govenator of Kalifornia!

Arg I just lost a response...

Tides Table (I don't like the new way they do it. Before you could copy a block of times, oh well.) Print off the appropriate days. Someone mentioned that earlier. Good thing is, more of the beach is open and should be as hard to find a spot to park. Air down your tires. Take a shovel (flat nose works the best, though a spade works better if having to REALLY dig yourself out, and for digging your fire pit as there are no rings out there.) Take a tow strap with you. Keep an even speed (15 MPH speed limit is enforced on the beach) and don't slam on your brakes, unless of course you have to when you get on the soft sand. Just let your vehicle stop on it's own. Helps to keep you on top of the sand.

PLEASE do not burn pallets or any wood with nails. Also, NO GLASS is allowed on the beach, no matter what.

I've begun to prefer Grand Avenue to enter the beach. Its a little bit longer on the sand, which is nice if you have to air up. You don't have to hang a hard right off of California or whatever that is onto Grand on soft tires. The Chevron had the best air, but I think they put a smaller compressor in. It's a LOT slower than it used to be.

I've answered this question before so you can always search this forum and me and Pismo and probably come upon one of my Novelas.

As anywhere else in California all sections of the Vehicle Code apply. Clean up after yourself, etc. etc.

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

Old 11-05-2004 | 11:42 AM
Pro Rider

I don't remember if you can ride there at night!

Old 11-05-2004 | 12:35 PM
Air Cooled Rider
Future Govenator of Kalifornia!

Unless they've changed it in the last four month you can ride at night. Though that will probably be getting cut. The neighbors towards Nipomo can hear the stuff out that way. And since they are the ones with the really expensive homes, and LAWYERS, they'll win. Unless the state starts enforcing sound there like they do at Hollister. I'm waiting for the lawsuit...

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

Old 11-05-2004 | 02:14 PM
|
Trailblazer

Thanks for all the responses, Pismo sounds like it will be fun for this newbie.

I've never ridden at night until this one trip I took up into the mountains, and since then I've been wanting to try it again. I understand you have to be very careful with the sand dropoffs, however.
I'll bring some firewood (no nails) with me, thanks again for all the great insight folks!

Old 11-05-2004 | 03:26 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!

Don't know if anybody mentioned this or you caught it anywhere, but airing your truck tires down is a big help. I normally run 55 lbs. on the highway, and even if I air down to 30 lbs., it is a big help. For serious stuff, even down to 15 or so. Just don't break a bead. I carry a Powertank to air back up, but you can drive slowly back to town and air up there.

At night at the Motel, be sure your bikes are well secured to your trailer, and your trailer is secured to your truck, etc.!

Quick Reply: Some Pismo/Oceano Advice Please