Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

I NEED A GLAMIS UPDATE

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2005, 03:18 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I NEED A GLAMIS UPDATE

Has anyone just returned from Glamis? I'm wondering if all this California rain is going to ruin the dunes for my weekend adventure in 3 days. I'm going out there this weekend (1/8) and hope that there are huge puddles out in the middle of a bowl. ANyone been out there when it rains like crazy? WHats it like? ANy feedback is appreciated.

Old 01-04-2005, 11:20 AM
Pro Rider

I came back on sunday. The dunes are wet in areas. I do not know if it has rained more since. I don't think you will see any puddles in the bowls. The sand soaks up the water.

Old 01-07-2005, 12:25 PM
Range Rover

We were supposed to go either there or Ocotillo Wells this weekend, and I'm bumming heavily as it looks like the whole weekend is cancelled because of the rain. It's supposed to be raining pretty hard all weekend, even out there, can you still ride? I figured if we go out, we'll all probably be stuck sitting in the RV while it pours outside - supposed to get something like 8 inches plus of rain and 3 storms coming in. My son is NOT happy with me about it but I told him he's going to have to talk to God about this one - I can't do anything about the rain!

Old 01-07-2005, 01:18 PM
Weekend Warrior

Glamis is ok even with the rain, it actually keeps people away, so i would go for it if you dont mind riding a little wet. I made a mistake once and rode at Octillo Wells, which is my favorite spot, during a rain storm, and it can ruin a trip. The dirt there is super fine and once wet will cake onto everything, it actually stained the front of my toy hauler and sucked some of the color out of my raptors plastics. I say go glamis, sould be killer. Just my $.02

Old 01-07-2005, 01:28 PM
Range Rover

Yikes! Thanks for the warning - I'll make sure we stay away from there when it's wet.

Old 01-07-2005, 02:10 PM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: Baracudaaa
Glamis is ok even with the rain, it actually keeps people away, so i would go for it if you dont mind riding a little wet. I made a mistake once and rode at Octillo Wells, which is my favorite spot, during a rain storm, and it can ruin a trip. The dirt there is super fine and once wet will cake onto everything, it actually stained the front of my toy hauler and sucked some of the color out of my raptors plastics. I say go glamis, sould be killer. Just my $.02
Not only that, but Ocotillo Wells will have flash floods during a storm. I was out there during the big storm in October. Going down HWY 78 was an adventure.

Old 01-07-2005, 02:54 PM
Weekend Warrior

Yeah, Ocatillo is sketchy during storms. I hear a lot of people are headed out to Dumont instead of Glammis. I like that place almost as much as Glammis, Dumont has huuuuuuge dunes.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 01-07-2005, 04:16 PM
Range Rover

That's what I keep trying to tell my ultra-impulsive son (about the flash floods). I don't want to end up as one of the idiots you see on the 6:00 p.m. news! To him, my husband and I are just being party poopers. I'm sure glad some of us have some common sense! There's always NEXT weekend - no rain in the forecast.

Old 01-07-2005, 06:01 PM
Range Rover

Have you tried Rasor Road? I like it a lot better than Ocotillo Wells. There's some steep dunes and two water crossings that are a couple feet deep. The Mojave River also flows along the surface in that area, and riding through it is a lot of fun. Also, there's very few people out there. You often have the whole place to yourself. My big complaint about Ocotillo Wells is the horrendous dust, and the constant whoops along the trails.

Old 01-07-2005, 06:10 PM
Range Rover

Isn't Rasor off the 15 on the way to Vegas? I hear ya - my legs can only take so much of the whoops - I feel like I've been beat up the next day.

Quick Reply: I NEED A GLAMIS UPDATE