Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Fort Dodge, IA ever turn out? *YES, YES IT DID*

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2005, 04:42 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fort Dodge, IA ever turn out? Never heard...

They have been talking about building the fence for over a year now. Sorry to sound skeptical, but I wouldn't hold my breath on this park ever opening.

Old 02-26-2005, 12:21 AM
Range Rover

This is a very interesting discussion on the subject of the 12 hour race http://atvscene.com/forums/viewtopic...er=asc&start=0

but as for the Ft Dodge park opening.....it is all but open >>>>>OldmanWheeler

Posted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 5:16 am Post subject: MY THOUGHTS AFTER ENDLESS EMAILS AND PHONE CALLS

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OK guys and gals, I’m going to try something I have been known for the last several months and try to be impartial and diplomatic. This could be a real challenge for me!! I talked to John Pella today and the 12 Hours will be held at Rash Creek on October 29th. He said he may consider moving it back to Iowa next year “if the park is open”. I just got off the phone with a fellow member of the park organizer and like he told us at the last meeting things are coming together as well as you can expect when you are working with large corporations, the State, County and City governments. He is optimistic that the park will open this fall, but like he said nothing’s written in stone and there is no guarantee.

After reading the comments on ATVScene and KawiRider it’s obvious that there is overwhelming support to have some kind of a 12 Hour event in Fort Dodge. I personal was approach by a group from various clubs in the state who are willing to do what ever it takes to have a 12 Hour event at the Fort Dodge Park. PrairieWrech and myself recieved an unbelievable amount of e-mails and calls today. I am going to stay open minded and listen to what all parties have to say. We have many assets readily available ranging from the four of us who built the track the last four years (3 from Ft Dodge and 1 from western Iowa), the IATVHSS which was one of the most successful first year series in ATV racing (great jot Andy & Tracy). One of the individuals who has called both Jim and I has some very high level contacts in the Media World and at the ATV Factory level. One of the media companies all ready sponsor national events in several types of motorsports.

When you bring a new event to a community, it takes time and commitment before the local businesses will invest their hard-earned money into the event. I’ve already been contacted by several local business wanting to know how they can help make sure that there is a world class ATV event in Fort Dodge. The President of the local Chamber of Commerce will work hand in hand with us to make this happen. These people understand the hard work that has gone into turning mined out gypsum quarries into a valuable asset for the community. The local businesses have also seen the economic impact the 12 Hours has had each year as it grew for around 46 teams to 99 teams this year.

The FD OHV Park has gone from conception and to where it is today in record time, we started the idea of transforming the mined out quarries into a legal riding area about 5 years ago. I’ve talked to other’s who have spent 10 years trying to put together a legal riding area much smaller then what we will have in FD. I know everyone is tired of hearing about how great the new park will be, but I promise you once your ride what will be the park you will walk away with a grin on your face. One of the prerequisites we had to “perform” was eliminating illegal riding and trespassing onto private land. Thanks to the DNR we have met this challenge. Dirt bike riders, and later on ATV riders have enjoyed riding this area for the past 30 years and FD has produce more then it’s share of national motocross riders over the years and it’s not the local water!

I respect John Pella and his uncompromised commitment to bring ATV Racing to the Next Level. John has made many sacrifices to make his dream reality. John has taught myself and several others a lot of what it takes to put on a world class event. I have always had a profound respect for individuals who unselfishly passes on his or her knowledge to others. (FYI: John Pellan, and his company Fast-Trek Promotions, is the majority owner of both the 6 Hours of ATV America and the 12 Hours of ATV America and the other three of us were minority owners and we each had our specialties and strengths and that’s why the 12 Hours grew every year.)

I know I said I was going to remain neutral, but with due respect to John, there seems to be an overwhelming consensus to keep some kind of 12 Hour race in Iowa. Since Fort Dodge, Iowa is, my home and I would have to support my local community and the many riders who want to maintain a world class event in FD. A few fences would need mending. One business I can think of right off the pack is a material handling company who has donated Bob Cats. Kubota Tractors, Club Carts and any thing else we needed and never expected anything in return. Local businesses like this deserve the caliber of exposure they get by donating equipment and manpower. Perhaps the moral of all the responses is that there is enough ATV racers in the United States the to support two similar events and maybe it would be a huge step towards build a national endurance series and getting factory involvement.

I believe there is an entire group of riders who for many different reason’s can no longer compete in the GNCC, GNC, WORCS, rather it be financial, family a “Team Endurance Series” could be just the ticket they are looking for. I defiantly do not have all the answers but I am certainly open to new, exciting ideas that will continue to help our sport grow. IF, and at this point I stress IF, it is the consensus to create another 12 Hour based event it would not be patterned exactly after the 12 Hours of ATV America. That would not be fair to John. In talking to different people today, I have heard several unique and exciting possibilities.

No one wants to create a controversy but “business is business” and if riders, local businesses and sponsors, both Midwest based and National, want to create another endurance race in FD then let’s go for it. Perhaps some day the top five from each class from multiple endurance events can come together at a neutral site to test their skills against each other. So let’s keep the feedback coming, both fore and against, so we can do what’s best for the sport. Remember, this is not a personal attack on any person, decision or feelings; it’s about doing what is best for our sport.
2004 Iowa ATV Harescramble Series Champions
"HONESTY WILL ALWAYS PREVAIL"

<<<<<<and just one more!!!!!!!>>>>>>>> Posted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 7:52 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FIRST EVERYONE JUST NEEDS TO CHILL OUT!!!! THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS AN VENGEFUL, ANTI-JOHN PELLAN, SPOILER EVENT AND FOR THAT MATTER THERE SHOULD NOT BE ANY ANTI-ANYONE. John made a business decession to move the 12 Hours of ATV America to Rasch Creek this year and it sound like to different locations every year after that. I think that’s great and I think it can only expose more people to our great sport.

John, for the record and in consideration for everyone who have worked so hard to make the Fort Dodge Park a reality and for those many individuals who donated many, many hours of their time to help build the 12 Hours of ATV America to what it is today I would like to clarify a few facts:

• Only a small portion of land remains to be transferred to the park and it is in the final stages of being transferred
• The “hesitant politicians” have APPROVED the park
• “The Fortune 500 companies” are 100% on board with this project
• To date more then $800,000 of Federal and State funds have been secured through grants and matching funds for the park project
• A Comprehensive Master Plan for the park was developed by a renowned nd highly regarded Landscape Architect Company
• The Master Plan includes an entrance, parking lot, perimeter fence, rest rooms and many other amenities

Old 02-26-2005, 02:12 AM
Range Rover

Hey thanks for that post quadrookie

Definitely was a little bit hope inspiring.

I could honestly care less about any 12 hour race.....no offense to anybody...but I'm 6'4' 225 lbs, and racing twelve hours doesn't seem to suit me all that well. Plus its an expensive hobby in my book.

Anyway, I'd just love to have that place to ride just for fun...being only an hour away from my hometown that would be HUGE.

Old 03-04-2005, 12:22 PM
Trailblazer

I'm with you LikeitsStolen, I'm not as interested in racing. I've gone and watched the 12 hour race. It pretty cool and it $ucks that got moved for 2005, but I'm more interested in a big new riding park. If/when this opens I will be spending a lot of time (and money) going to Fort Dodge with my riding friends and family.

Old 05-10-2005, 09:23 PM
Range Rover

Hey guys,

Anybody have any more info on the fort dodge park?

Last I heard they were still working on building the fence or transferring the land to the city of Fort Dodge from the State or something...

Anyone know more than me yet?

Old 05-29-2005, 12:10 AM
Range Rover

bump

Old 05-29-2005, 12:47 AM
Range Rover

One of my best freinds and riding budies called at 6:30 am the other morning to say he just heard an interveiw with a congrasman and someone from Fort Dodge on the radio that the ribon cutting ceramoney was that day for the "official" start of the construction. They said 2 months and it would be open. I supose it is oficial enough for me, being on the radio and all. Time to start getting excitted and anxous, and we live 2+ hours from there. Those that have never rode Fort Dodge are in for a treat. It is huge and hilly and 100% timber. Did I mention it is not flat? There are a few hills to.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 05-29-2005, 05:24 PM
Range Rover

So shooting for August then, realistically maybe September..., good enough for me.

Old 05-30-2005, 02:54 AM
Range Rover

Hey everybody interested...

Just caught an article in The Des Moines Register about the Gypsum City OHV Park (in Fort Dodge). Check out the link here. Looks like sometime in October this will be the place to be. No fee's to ride so far, not sure how that will work out. I'd be happy to pay 5 bucks a day...anyway, looking forward to this fall.

Newspaper Article

Old 09-05-2005, 03:39 PM
Range Rover
Default Fort Dodge, IA ever turn out? *YES, YES IT DID*

There is another update on the Gypsum City ohv park, I put a link to it on the other fort dodge thread but will here too...

Gypsum City OHV Park