Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Street Legal ATV's

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2006, 01:32 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Street Legal ATV's

nah, motorcycles dont have to get emissions tests done. Now what do i need to do about my atv because i dont have insurance on it and i dont have a bill of sale. I just gave cash to the guy and he gave me the atv.

Old 02-05-2006, 02:47 PM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: RangerHAAF
When I went down to register it they(county tag people) were really only concerned with the power ratio; it had to be over 50 cc's and they pretty much treated it like a motorcycle registration. They indicated that I didn't need to have an emissions test done, it might have been an oversight on their part but I didn't question them. Do motorcycles have the test done? I don't know.
Like it's already been said, I don't think motorcycles have to have an emissions test.

Old 02-05-2006, 02:51 PM
Trailblazer

Hey RangerHAAF, I was wondering about the tires thing for I know you need to have DOT approved tires for the street. Have plenty of guys that run the ET street slicks on their cars for they don't want to be caught with the full slicks that aren't DOT approved.

Sorry for all the questions but I'm wanting to know more info on the following if you have time to respond:

1. How did you get insurance for the 4 wheeler? Did you just call up a regular place like All State and ask for liability insurance for the road for the 4 wheeler? I'm guessing you just used the 4 wheelers serial number or it's VIN to get the insurance?

2. Does GA have any requirements like stated for AZ where the 4 wheeler will need to have all those requirements on their 4 wheeler or did you not have to get it inspected?

3. Do you have any pictures of how you mounted the license plate on your quad? Obviouslly you'd blurr out the license plate but I've just never seen on one a quad before! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Thanks again!

Ted

Old 02-05-2006, 03:11 PM
miZ
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for all the info RangerHAAF, I'm gonna try and get my ATV registered in Hinesville, GA, Monday, and I'll let ya'll know how it goes.

Old 02-05-2006, 03:18 PM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: miZ
Thanks for all the info RangerHAAF, I'm gonna try and get my ATV registered in Hinesville, GA, Monday, and I'll let ya'll know how it goes.
Please post info on here if you do it, I'd like to know how it went as well!

I noticed you are down by Savannah, GA, I'm curious, is there any sand dunes by the ocean a person can ride their ATV's on?

Old 02-05-2006, 10:15 PM
Weekend Warrior

Well,

I'll go down the line and address all of the questions as they are written.

Go back to the guy that you bought the atv from and have him write out a bill of sale which includes the VIN number and specifying you as the buyer(have it notarized). Call up any insurance company and they should be able to quote you a price. I got mine from a GEICO ad that I saw in an NRA magazine that I get. They quoted me $75 dollars(over the internet) for the year and it was put into the GA insurance database.

The only inspection that was done was for the VIN number to validate me as the owner.

I'll try to post the picture of my ATV on this forum ASAP. I mounted it on the rear cargo rack with plastic tie downs.

miZ, I wish you all the luck. I was with the 1st Ranger Battalion in Savannah between 86-90, Tybee Island and Hinesville should be a good place to ride an ATV on the road provided you can get it registered. If you have any problems(which you probably will) maybe validating my tag number will help you with the DMV.

Old 02-09-2006, 01:16 PM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: skidoog
I looked into it in Michigan and they said NO WAY! The Secretary of State booklet says they are made to ride on trail and are too unstable for street use. That sucks because it would be great for the short trips around town with getting into my gas guzzler truck. Although, I really don't know what the mileage is on my quad. Probably not much better.
Yea I got stuck with a ticket driving my ds650 on the road without a helment on. I know up north around grayling you can ride the snow mobile trails and I think in the "UP", you can ride on the side of the road.

Old 02-20-2006, 11:42 AM
Weekend Warrior

Forget Ny ever doing that. I got caught crossing a road and they threw the frigon book at me! Cost me over 3 grand in fines and a night in jail as well! Lovely state this is! Can't wait to move out of here... Can't until this morgage bilds up some equity though... Hows Nevada with quads?

Old 02-20-2006, 08:10 PM
Pro Rider

Check out my pics, there is a tag. I basically marked and drilled holes into the little storage compartment under the seat and then used some silicone to seal it up with the bolts. It's legal.

Old 05-28-2006, 03:24 PM
Weekend Warrior

I am trying to register mine here in Hinesville. I need to know what kind of issues that I may run into and how to fight them. quietly ofcourse

Quick Reply: Street Legal ATV's