Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

riding in ny state near rochester

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2005, 10:49 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default riding in ny state near rochester

looking for places to ride near rochester ny east of the city,,family has quads and would like some nice riding experiences,,any one with information please help[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 03-29-2005, 07:21 PM
Pro Rider

There is a place in the Adirondack Park that you can go to, you can ride on the roads legaly if you have insurance and registration. There are thousands of miles of ATV and Snowmobile Trails. IT is awsome. They place i go to stay is in the town of Lowville NY. It is called THE OLD SAWMILL INN. It has Rooms/and a camping area in the back. It is a great place and it has alright food. They are located right on the trail system. To contact them call 315-376-9950 and ask for Bill or Kathy. They are very nice people and they will hook you up with everything you need, like map and whatever. Tell them that TOM BROWN sent you. HOPE YOU HAVE FUN!!!!

Old 03-30-2005, 07:43 AM
Trailblazer

thanks for that information i will definately look into that,,has family close to lowvill someplace and can get to know them more also,,was hoping to find something closer to rochester area for dayrides ,things like that but for weekends sounds like i will be travelling,,thanks

Old 03-30-2005, 08:24 AM
Range Rover

The Adirondack Park is now closed to ATV's , you can thank the tree huggers for that, although there is a big battle going on now for the reopen of the trails in the Adirondack Park to open , I wouldnt hold my breath.
Tug Hill still has allot of trails and fire roads for us to travel on and yes buying a map for $5.00 is a great idea as most the money spent on them goes back into keeping the trail system alive.
Remember to have your ATV registered and insured before accessing the trails here.

Old 03-30-2005, 12:18 PM
Pro Rider

No it is not i was riding there this weekend

Old 03-30-2005, 05:06 PM
Pro Rider

i also live i a n rochester and am looking for a close place to bring my son riding on his 50cc dirt bike..

any help?

Old 03-30-2005, 08:07 PM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: TBONE31
No it is not i was riding there this weekend

REALLY ? MAYBE YOU SHOULD READ THIS THEN.

WATERTOWN DAILY TIMES:

ATV club seeks court decision to reopen roads
BRANTINGHAM--An all-terrain vehicle club here is going to court to overturn the state Department of Environmental Conservation's decision to close numerous Adirondack Park roads to ATV traffic.

"We're attempting to rectify a decision that may have been misadministered" said Floyd J. Rivers, a member of the Black River Valley Four Wheeler Club Inc. board of directors.

Albany attorney William H. Reynolds last month filed a state Supreme Court lawsuit in Albany County on the club's behalf against Dec Commissioner Erin M. Crotty. Ms. Crotty resigned last week and was replaced on an interim basis by Denise M. Sheehan.

Gabrielle M. Done, a DEC spokeswoman in Albany, said the agency cannot comment on pending litigation. Dec has yet to respond to the lawsuit.

"But in all cases, DEC strives to balance the recreational desires of the public with the needs of our valuable natural resources," she said.

The suit requests that "long-established jeep trails within the Aldrich Pond, Black River and Independence River Wild Forest Areas be reopened to use for motorized off-highway recreation" and asks that amendments made last fall to the unit management plans of the three areas be annulled Dec on Sept.24 announced it was closing 54 roads on state lands in Lewis, St. Lawrence, Herkimer and Oneida counties to unlimited ATV access by the general public, although five of those roads could be opened by seasonal permit.

The action stemmed from the three plan amendments, which the Adirondack Park Agency endorsed and Ms. Crotty subsequently adopted, along with DEC administrative action in Watson's East Wild Forest.

According to a DEC release at the time, "The closure of roads is necessary to eliminate illegal and inappropriate ATV use on State Forest Preserve lands and to ensure that the resources of the Forest Preserve are protected.

However, the club's lawsuit contends that the plan amendments were "based upon unfounded assumptions," one is which was that the thoroughfares in question are roads rather than trails.

"At all relevant times, the jeep trails present in the Aldrich Pond Wild Forest, Black River Wild Forest and Independence River Wild Forest were not highways in any legal or factual sense," it states.

The lawsuit suggests that the closures were based on the portion of state Vehicle and Traffic Law that allows municipalities or state agencies to open roads to ATV's only if they "provide access to adjacent trails and areas".

However, the suit claims, that section of law shouldn't apply in this case, noting that the "jeep trails were never public highways in the first place because they were never maintained by any local government or by the state." Instead, it contends that they are legal rights-of-way "obtained through long established use by jeeps and doodlebugs and such right maintained through more recent continued use by ATV's."

The suit states that the amendments, by designating the trails as roads, involve a "de facto creation of new highways in the Forest Preserve," while the state Constitution prevents construction of new highways there without a constitutional amendment.

It also cites a section of state Environmental Conservation Law that requires DEC "to develop a system of trails in the Adirondack and Catskill parks, "adding that ATV riding is a "legitimate program for which the DEC is supposed to make an accommodation."

Despite a DEC staff assessment that the "deteriorated state of these so-called roads" was caused by ATV use, the lawsuit maintains that the "continued use of these trails has not caused significant environmental impact nor permanently harmed the natural resources."

"From generations of steel-shop wagon wheels until the present vehicles on rubber tires, the passage of vehicles has compacted what was not already hardpan to the consistency of hard packed trail." it states. Also, any muddy sections on the trails are "isolated by the topography," so their disruption doesn't negatively affect waterways.

While the DEC commissioner may "regulate authorized recreational uses of public lands," the lawsuit states, that authority "does not carry with it the power to prohibit such activities except where true environmental concerns dictate such action."

It suggests that the plan amendments were enacted "in disregard of public policy" and that "DEC has bowed to pressure from well-financed and highly organized environmental organizations."

Old 04-01-2005, 06:21 PM
Pro Rider

You are a dumb@$$ that is only in Brantingham the trail system is still up in running in Lowville, Croghan, and many others all the closed trails are on the NEW MAPS, you can stil ride there

Old 04-01-2005, 06:52 PM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: TBONE31
There is a place in the Adirondack Park that you can go to, you can ride on the roads legaly if you have insurance and registration. There are thousands of miles of ATV and Snowmobile Trails. IT is awsome. They place i go to stay is in the town of Lowville NY. It is called THE OLD SAWMILL INN. It has Rooms/and a camping area in the back. It is a great place and it has alright food. They are located right on the trail system. To contact them call 315-376-9950 and ask for Bill or Kathy. They are very nice people and they will hook you up with everything you need, like map and whatever. Tell them that TOM BROWN sent you. HOPE YOU HAVE FUN!!!!

Umm ..Whos the dumb @ss here ? read your own post , it clearly states ..( Adirondack Park )
Riding in the Adirondack Park is now illegal to off roaders, you must have ment Tugg hill in its self. I ride the Hill at least 7 times a month winter through summer and i know where I stand , My group and I have fought long and hard to keep the trails open here in central New York and have donated countless hours of time and money so we all have a nice place to ride and keep this sport alive for the next generation. To correct the other part of your post also , there are not thousands of miles of legal ATV trails , to be accurate there are only 372 miles of legal ATV trails in tug hill and that number is slowly going down , from people buying up land and iilegal atv riding , not to mention all the tree huggers comming down on us. Calling fellow atv riders names on an open forum doesnt help this sport also , what helps is staying and being heard as a group and fighting for your right to ride !
Thank You.

Old 04-01-2005, 09:58 PM
Pro Rider

The fact of the matter is there are still trails open i am also in a ATV club..........Adironack Riders

Quick Reply: riding in ny state near rochester