Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Come ride the Hatfield-McCoy trail!

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2000, 01:38 PM
jim
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rubiconbob, you asked if you could get lost there? Not to be disrespectfull or anything but that an understatement if you ask me. Wayne Natl forest trials are small by comparison & arn't marked & we got lost for quite a while & it's MUCH smaller than WV trails plus it's more populated so there should have been less of a chance of getting lost but when your low on gas you start panicing. Anyway, checking out the map of the area, if you happened to be riding low on gas & not sure where you were going, this should give you an unsetteling feeling concidering actually where you are, there are big mountain down there as compared to PA Potter, Clinton, Elk counties. Our mountains & wilderness is very small compared to WV. My dad deer hunts there & our relitives are from Logan so thats why I asked for a trail map before I venture down there.I doubt theres one availible now if ever so take your GPS or a guide. I will be talking to the locals who offered to go riding since it's more fun for me following someone who knows where they are going. Good luck & keep us posted on your trip. I'm excited about going. Who knows maybe all of us strangers can plan a trip together & if nothing else it feels better getting lost w/ a large group of people instead of just a couple.
Jim

Old 10-05-2000, 03:35 PM
Trailblazer

So far there the "main" areas of the trail are currently marked pretty well. I live in Raleigh County, WV and have found that I can make it to the main trail from where I live which is around 40 miles all off-road. (with the help of a GPS) Anyone who ventures far off the main areas should have a one or ride with a local who knows the areas. Most of the roads are old logging or gas well roads and would consider them in good condition with the execption of mud "pits" and creek crossings from time to time. I have a Banshee and ride with guys who carry extra gas for me because its so vast. You can ride for miles and never see anyone (depending on where you head) or sit around with a couple hundred and chat near the main areas. The amount of people depend on events going on also. Its rumored they didn't want to give out maps around here until they fully opened to keep people from finding ways to get on the trail other than the designated trail heads. Once they fully develop the entire trail, it will be extremely nice for everyone. I can't wait to do a camping/ride trip next time im out. Xplorman, i'll see if I can get you those GPS logs. I'll keep posting any new findings for all to see.

Old 10-05-2000, 04:10 PM
Trailblazer

Great! Thanks. I can import them with Mapsource or, if it's incompatible with that, my new version of Street Atlas the Road Warrior Edition.

Old 10-05-2000, 11:17 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hey Jim:
You are right to advise maps for anyone going to ride either section of the H/Mc trail. I live in Gilbert, just off the the Rockhouse loop. I have ridden these trails since I got my first bike back in 1970. These are the same trails I was riding 30 years ago, and they have been getting better with time. Speaking of getting lost, its not at all unusual for people to get lost on these trails. The entire Rockhouse loop covers about 90 miles and hundreds of intersection and side trails. Its impossible to remember all these trails if you venture too far without maps or GPS. I will be the first to tell you, I was riding last week at about 2200' elevation and the fog was so heavy, I got turned around on a trail that I have ridden for many years. Not to fear though, there will be rangers on the H/Mc trails just for this purpose. Also, many locals will be riding and eager to help anyone who needs directions. About 50 miles of the Rockhouse loop is novice and borderline more difficult. The rest is more and most difficult. Should be very inviting for riders of all skill levels. I'm looking forward to seeing everyone one the trail.

95 Kodiak
96 sp 500
K.A. Simpson
AKA Big Daddy Trail Boss

Old 10-05-2000, 11:22 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hey Jim:
You are right to advise maps for anyone going to ride either section of the H/Mc trail. I live in Gilbert, just off the the Rockhouse loop. I have ridden these trails since I got my first bike back in 1970. These are the same trails I was riding 30 years ago, and they have been getting better with time. Speaking of getting lost, its not at all unusual for people to get lost on these trails. The entire Rockhouse loop covers about 90 miles and hundreds of intersection and side trails. Its impossible to remember all these trails if you venture too far without maps or GPS. I will be the first to tell you, I was riding last week at about 2200' elevation and the fog was so heavy, I got turned around on a trail that I have ridden for many years. Not to fear though, there will be rangers on the H/Mc trails just for this purpose. Also, many locals will be riding and eager to help anyone who needs directions. About 50 miles of the Rockhouse loop is novice and borderline more difficult. The rest is more and most difficult. Should be very inviting for riders of all skill levels. I'm looking forward to seeing everyone one on the trail.

95 Kodiak
98 warrior
98 wolverine
96 SP 500
00 SP 500
K.A. Simpson
AKA Big Daddy Trail Boss

Old 10-07-2000, 02:27 AM
Range Rover

So are the trails too rough for a Banshee to handle or what?

Old 10-07-2000, 09:42 PM
Weekend Warrior

Morvac, If you are referring to the Pinnacle creek area as part of the H/M system, it is not part of the system yet but I hope to have it open as part of our trail system by summer of 2001 The only sections that are part of true Hatfield_McCoy Trail System are Rockhouse, Bearwallow, and Buffalo Mtn. combined ther is about 300 miles and they are all marked at every intersection. If you have your map that you get from us when you buy your permit you will know excactly where you are at each of the intersections. And to everyone, thanks for the interest and come to see us

Bill Reed
Lead Field Technician
Hatfield McCoy Recreation Authority

Old 10-09-2000, 12:54 PM
Pro Rider

Jim, you didn't bend my nose out-of-shape! I will admit that I got seriously lost the first two times I went to the Monday Creek trailheads in Wayne. Well, I knew where I was, just not how to get where I wanted to go. And that forest can get real quiet in a hurry, can't it? I think I will take the advice offered, and try to ride the first couple of times with some local riders, or an experienced H-M trailrider. And bring along some extra gas.too! By the way, I would be interested in doing a group get-together and ride there next year, if anyone else would be. Maybe some of us from the Buckeye state could caravan down there?

Old 10-09-2000, 04:13 PM
Trailblazer

Nah, its not too rough for a Banshee...its really a nice ride everywhere, just there are some sorta deep water crossings or mud holes if you don't go around them. I know about the 3 trail heads, but there are many "connector" roads also. We just go out and tried to find a way to get to the main trail from the Bolt area near the Wyoming co. line. Yes, I do know about the maps, but to my knowledge no one was getting one until formal opening.

Old 10-11-2000, 08:49 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hello All!! It's great to see the amount of interest in Hatfield-McCoy. We here at Hatfield-McCoy are every bit as excited as you are. In the interest of protecting this great new place to ride.....however.....a few things you should all know.

The Hatfield-McCoy Trail is currently open in Logan and Mingo counties, ONLY!! Any other place you ride is not a Hatfield-McCoy Trail.

If you are riding in Wyoming, McDowell or Mercer counties, on what you believe is a Hatfield-McCoy Trail....You are trespassing. This property belongs to private landowners, and is not currently open to any recreational use. If you are riding in these areas, you will be subject to citation for trespassing violations.

All Hatfield-McCoy trails are signed and marked as such. Trails are open and accessible from the Bearwallow Trailhead near Logan, the Rockhouse Trailhead near Man, and the Buffalo Mountain Trailhead near Williamson. Trail access is not permitted from any location other than these three trailheads. Again, if you are on a trail that is not clearly marked as a Hatfield-McCoy Trail, you are trespassing and subject to penalty. As of this date, there are no trailheads or trail access in Wyoming, Mercer, or McDowell counties.

In order to legally ride the Haffield-McCoy trails, you must purchase a user permit. These permits are available ONLY from Hatfield-McCoy, either at our office in Lyburn, from our website, or at any one of our three trailheads.

Hatfield-McCoy is not sponsoring or endorsing any events in Wyoming, McDowell, or Mercer counties this year. Any user fee you pay for an event in these counties is not a valid, Hatfield-McCoy user fee.

Please don't misconstrue this message.....we wan't everyone to come and enjoy the Hatfield-McCoy Trails...but we must do it legally. Many of the landowners own property in several counties, and most of them work very closely together. If we cannot control illegal use in areas not open....we could lose access to all of the property on which Hatfield-McCoy is built!!!!!

Please call 1-800-592-2217 for more information....or visit the official Hatfield-McCoy website at www.trailsheaven.com

We will truly appreciate your cooperation and understanding. Please help us make Hatfield-McCoy the premiere trail system in the country!!!!!!!

Chris Evans
Director, Field Operations
Hatfield-McCoy Regional Recreation Authority

Quick Reply: Come ride the Hatfield-McCoy trail!